BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Insurance in NC

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance in NC

Sorry to post on such a mundane topic but I'm close to ordering an MK4 and trying to get a sense for what insurance will run me.

My regular insurer has said they can't do it.

Reading through the posts, it looks like in the past people have had success with Progressive and then some of the antique / custom insurers out of state. I contacted both Heacock and American Collectors and was told by both that I'd have to get a separate liability policy. One said that collision / comp policy alone would run $1500 a year. Yikes.

Has anyone in NC had good luck with insuring their FF recently?

Thanks in advance for the input!
    ST

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stuchman1 View Post
    Sorry to post on such a mundane topic but I'm close to ordering an MK4 and trying to get a sense for what insurance will run me.

My regular insurer has said they can't do it.

Reading through the posts, it looks like in the past people have had success with Progressive and then some of the antique / custom insurers out of state. I contacted both Heacock and American Collectors and was told by both that I'd have to get a separate liability policy. One said that collision / comp policy alone would run $1500 a year. Yikes.

Has anyone in NC had good luck with insuring their FF recently?

Thanks in advance for the input!
    ST
    Am with Hagerty as are many of the guys. They took over when thr prior insure Infinity dropped the state.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I was quoted $320 for agreed value (50k) from american collectors. I haven't called USAA to see what liability will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a quote from USAA (for Indiana). Since I have not yet completed the build I haven’t started the policy, but I recall it to be quoted at about $325 / 6 months
    Last edited by txboiler; 12-01-2021 at 06:26 AM.
    Mk IV 9968 complete kit, 3 Link, PS, 15” Halibrand, Wilwood Brakes
    Blue Print 347, TKO600

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...358#post446358

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    I was quoted $320 for agreed value (50k) from american collectors. I haven't called USAA to see what liability will be.
    Just be sure you know what the requirements are some policies limit the use of your car.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txboiler View Post
    I got a quote from USAA (for Indiana). Since I have not yet completed the build I haven’t started the policy, but I recall it to be quoted at about $325 / 6 months
    Did you have any issues with it being a kit car and them quoting it? I talked briefly to an agent while dealing with another issue and she was very confused so i tabled it until I actually have the car.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Just be sure you know what the requirements are some policies limit the use of your car.
    Yeap, this was for 2500mi.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in NC and use Grundy. I have my FF and Camaro insured for agreed value, think its just over $600 a year for both.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know yet about actual car insurance. But i'm in NC and got my kit delivered about a month ago. I went through Hagerty and got "vehicle under construction" insurance because i can't get car insurance until it's actually a car you know. 30k coverage for 1 year for $250. Worth it for peace of mind while i'm building. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Southport, NC and mine is split between USAA and American Collectors.

Yes, American Collectors bases their quote on agreed upon value and mileage. My quote originally started at 1000 miles which at first I did not realize. I quickly got to that mileage. Because I was going to move the car through several states for body and paint so I read into the policy and only then realized mine was limited at 1000 miles. I called and they said just let them know when you are going to go over the limit and they will then increase the mileage and thus the cost to insure would go up. My contact at AC said it was not a hard line of 1000 miles but if you expect to travel much more you should let them know.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GWL View Post
    I live in Southport, NC and mine is split between USAA and American Collectors.

George
    George. I haven’t dug into the insurance side of this too much yet and was wanting to learn. I am curious why you would split the policy. Was one covering collision and the other comprehensive?
    Blue Print 347, TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txboiler View Post
    George. I haven’t dug into the insurance side of this too much yet and was wanting to learn. I am curious why you would split the policy. Was one covering collision and the other comprehensive?
    American Collectors won't offer Liability, so that gets covered through your normal Auto Policy.

On a somewhat related note.. I stopped by the plate agency this morning for some other business and asked her about the process for the kit. She said bring her the purchase agreement and the MSO and she'd have no problem issuing a title/registration even before its built. They send it in and if NC wants to inspect they'll reach out.

Joe, I noticed you put Wipers on your build thread as State Required, where did you see that requirement? I'm somewhat on the fence about them and that may make my decision for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,
    If you google "nc dmv wiper requirements" the first thing that comes up is a pdf of the nc general statute governing vehicle inspection requirements. Halfway down it says it will not pass if you have a windshield and no wipers pretty clearly. I'm not a lawyer so i don't know if this 100% applies to our cars or not but it was enough for me to justify the inclusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IV_Joe View Post
    Jeff,
    If you google "nc dmv wiper requirements" the first thing that comes up is a pdf of the nc general statute governing vehicle inspection requirements. Halfway down it says it will not pass if you have a windshield and no wipers pretty clearly. I'm not a lawyer so i don't know if this 100% applies to our cars or not but it was enough for me to justify the inclusion.
    I think that applies to the annual safety inspection, which our cars would be exempt as long as they are titled as a '65. Still not sure if its required for the VIN Inspection, hopefully some other NC guys who have been through it can chime in

14. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post
    Likes BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No wipers are required with Antique car title/registration. No inspection, no smog testing. Register car as 1965.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234

16. Likes JeffP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wish we could do that in NY!
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    American Collectors won't offer Liability, so that gets covered through your normal Auto Policy.

On a somewhat related note.. I stopped by the plate agency this morning for some other business and asked her about the process for the kit. She said bring her the purchase agreement and the MSO and she'd have no problem issuing a title/registration even before its built. They send it in and if NC wants to inspect they'll reach out.

Joe, I noticed you put Wipers on your build thread as State Required, where did you see that requirement? I'm somewhat on the fence about them and that may make my decision for me.
    Write down that lady's name and number and make her your best friend then! The rest of us in NC have had to go through an inspection by the theft bureau before a VIN and a title is assigned. And hope they don't require a bond based on how they interpret the reqs. BTW, I am registered as antique vehicle with no wipers...was not even asked about them. It's truly luck of the draw with NCDMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m also in the same process, just started my build, but would like to get my hands on the title asap (before something changes).
    @Jeffp: witch DMV was it?
    I`ll try my luck tomorrow in Chapel Hill to see what they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you have any issues with it being a kit car and them quoting it? I talked briefly to an agent while dealing with another issue and she was very confused so i tabled it until I actually have the car.
    No issues. I explained I was building a component car. She said “ok haven’t done one of those in a while”….couple questions later kit company name, intended use, weight….nothing about engine. Asked what coverage I wanted and deductible level. Then they gave me a quote. I was surprised how simple.

I still plan to get additional quotes
    Blue Print 347, TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ADI View Post
    I`m also in the same process, just started my build, but would like to get my hands on the title asap (before something changes).
    Currituck County (Moyock Title Agency - not the actual DMV)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCraig View Post
    Write down that lady's name and number and make her your best friend then! The rest of us in NC have had to go through an inspection by the theft bureau before a VIN and a title is assigned. And hope they don't require a bond based on how they interpret the reqs. BTW, I am registered as antique vehicle with no wipers...was not even asked about them. It's truly luck of the draw with NCDMV.
    Couldn't agree more... you can easily find conflicting information on their own website (my daughter has a permit and one page said she needed it for 6mo, another page 1yr.. its awful)

Based on this page: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-regi...cle-types.aspx It shows antiques requiring the theft bureau inspection and yet replica's don't...

Post Thanks / Like
    That's all so helpful - thank you all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more... you can easily find conflicting information on their own website (my daughter has a permit and one page said she needed it for 6mo, another page 1yr.. its awful)

Based on this page: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-regi...cle-types.aspx It shows antiques requiring the theft bureau inspection and yet replica's don't...
    I also had one DMV say I couldn't title as antique vehicle, went to another DMV and did just that. It's nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to try DMV headquarters in Raleigh. Could be random but was in & out very fast with AA plate & registration. Title will show up later.

BTW you need to have the DMV theft inspection done first. If the agent does not take the FFR serial # as a VIN, again random, they will issue you a state generated one apply it to the car in two places. I have a state VIN & had to get a bond, again random, but was only $100 or so all by email with a FedEx delivery of the bond document.

AA title also limits your annual tax lability to a nominal amount so its a good deal all round. OK to ride with my 1965 COYOTE NC plate as long as the AA plate is in the car with the doc. If you run a custom plate good plan it you ever get stopped is to have a copy of the DMV reg that allows this with your doc. Some Leo's don't know about it. All I ever got from the police is a thumbs-up

I also had one DMV say I couldn't title as antique vehicle, went to another DMV and did just that. It's nuts.
    DMV regs are a replica of a car 30? years or older is intitled to AA plates. Forgot the number was IIRC 25/30.

You all really need to got online find the regs copy them & take them with you all with the inspection report & the other required documents.

You hit the clerk who did some before you sail right through. Hit a newbie & it pulling teeth. Lazy ones easier to say no.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-01-2021 at 06:06 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to try DMV headquarters in Raleigh. Could be random but was in & out very fast with AA plate & registration. Title will show up later.

BTW you need to have the DMV theft inspection done first. If the agent does not take the FFR serial # as a VIN, again random, they will issue you a state generated one apply it to the car in two places. I have a state VIN & had to get a bond, again random, but was only $100 or so all by email with a FedEx delivery of the bond document.

AA title also limits your annual tax lability to a nominal amount so its a good deal all round. OK to ride with my 1965 COYOTE NC plate as long as the AA plate is in the car with the doc. If you run a custom plate good plan it you ever get stopped is to have a copy of the DMV reg that allows this with your doc. Some Leo's don't know about it. All I ever got from the police is a thumbs-up

DMV regs are a replica of a car 30? years or older is intitled to AA plates. Forgot the number was IIRC 25/30.

You all really need to got online find the regs copy them & take them with you all with the inspection report & the other required documents.

You hit the clerk who did some before you sail right through. Hit a newbie & it pulling teeth. Lazy ones easier to say no.
    I'm curious about your plate. I understand you have it titled as a 1965. What is your real plate? Is it a standard NC plate with COYOTE and you've purchased a replica plate that you mounted (another big assumption that you had to buy this one seperate and DMV did not actually provide you a '65 plate)? Or is your real plate just a generic NC standard plate? Or a NC Antique Auto Plate? My confusion is the AA Plates are only 5 characters so not sure how you have COYOTE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea. DMV Headquarters moved to Rocky Mount, where I work 3 days of the week. I`ll stop there next Monday and will try to get as much info as possible!

28. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post
    Likes JeffP, BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea. DMV Headquarters moved to Rocky Mount, where I work 3 days of the week. I`ll stop there next Monday and will try to get as much info as possible!
    Thanks expect there might be some changes since I went through the process. Lot more cars built since then.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like

BTW you need to have the DMV theft inspection done first. If the agent does not take the FFR serial # as a VIN, again random, they will issue you a state generated one apply it to the car in two places. I have a state VIN & had to get a bond, again random, but was only $100 or so all by email with a FedEx delivery of the bond document..

Fun Fact, they told me the FF serial cannot be used as a VIN so they assigned an NC VIN and attached in two places on my frame. Once I finally got the title, they used the FF serial as the VIN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCraig View Post
    Fun Fact, they told me the FF serial cannot be used as a VIN so they assigned an NC VIN and attached in two places on my frame. Once I finally got the title, they used the FF serial as the VIN.
    Interesting I got a DMV made up number. Nothing like consistency. Just a bunch of government employees running around with no clue about how to do their job.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234