Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No donor wiring

Post Thanks / Like

No donor wiring

If you choose not to go the donor route, is there a better model to get the harnesses from?
    I assume you need to match harness to the engine and trans.
    Actually I know absolutely nothing about what I'm asking. What do I need to know about which harnesses I need.
    I have been reading the posts on electrical but they are somewhat specific, I need a general place to start
    Any help you can provide

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I know nothing about different years, etc. But... I do have a complete 2005 OEM harness, ECU, gauge assy, etc. that I didn't need or use (ex. the 2 fan sockets- sorry). Looks to all be in good condition, and as I think only the Gauge Assy has any real value, I would part with for VERY little. Just be prepared to ship 50LBS from 95008, and make me an offer! I also have some other un-used donor parts that might be of interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice is to match the harness to the motor as best as possible because there are differences between NA vs turbo harnesses, manual vs automatic, and 02-03 vs 04-05 vs 06-07. If you understand wiring schematics and are decent at troubleshooting electrical then you can probably get by with mixing but I don't think it would be worth the trouble. Try to buy a motor that comes with the harness as a package. Some other things to consider:
    05-07 harnesses came with an immobilizer so you'll have some extra wiring for that
    05-07 (I think) also came with drive by wire
    06-07 (I think) came with an air intake valve, I believe for emissions, I don't know if this can be deleted

I used an 02 wrx harness so I'm most familiar with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    100% what everyone said stick to the harness that matches the engine. I paid about $250 for a complete 2003 WRX harness and used an v7 ej207. Well worth the price to get used already taken out harness the amount of work to take it all out sucks lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    I know nothing about different years, etc. But... I do have a complete 2005 OEM harness, ECU, gauge assy, etc. that I didn't need or use (ex. the 2 fan sockets- sorry). Looks to all be in good condition, and as I think only the Gauge Assy has any real value, I would part with for VERY little. Just be prepared to ship 50LBS from 95008, and make me an offer! I also have some other un-used donor parts that might be of interest.
    Thanks for the offer DSR bit I think I'll take the advice of STiPWRD and redfogo and match up the harness to the engine trans combo I come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    My advice is to match the harness to the motor as best as possible because there are differences between NA vs turbo harnesses, manual vs automatic, and 02-03 vs 04-05 vs 06-07. If you understand wiring schematics and are decent at troubleshooting electrical then you can probably get by with mixing but I don't think it would be worth the trouble. Try to buy a motor that comes with the harness as a package. Some other things to consider:
    05-07 harnesses came with an immobilizer so you'll have some extra wiring for that
    05-07 (I think) also came with drive by wire
    06-07 (I think) came with an air intake valve, I believe for emissions, I don't know if this can be deleted

I used an 02 wrx harness so I'm most familiar with that.
    Thanks STiPWRD all good points and good info. I have my mind set on some flavor of a NA EJ25 so I'll be sure to match what ever harness I buy to that engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    100% what everyone said stick to the harness that matches the engine. I paid about $250 for a complete 2003 WRX harness and used an v7 ej207. Well worth the price to get used already taken out harness the amount of work to take it all out sucks lol.
    Great tip on getting a harness already removed from the car redfogo