Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Blaster coil placement

Post Thanks / Like

Blaster coil placement

I see a lot of pictures with the coil mounted to what looks like the drivers side head. How are you guys mounting it here. I have a round bracket with two mounting points to each side. My head has one hole that i can use but the other side would be just hanging there. The backet is shaped like this _0_ ,

Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like
    My bracket is shaped like this O=, with one bolt going through both tabs. Also have some 1/16 thick rubber (old bicycle innertube) between the bracket and the coil. Must be working ok, the same coil has been there for 15 years. Similar to this one:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-c...cket-7985.html
    Last edited by Derald Rice; 02-08-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 -- Used the same bracket as previous post. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas. I will modify my bracket. I just wasn't sure if one bolt would hold it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are using the 8202 coil, it may need to be mounted vertically. Please be sure to read the instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this one from Summit. Seems pretty solid with only one bolt.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...4-a2/overview/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted mine on the passenger side "F" panel. I used the supplied mounting bracket that came with the coil.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the vertical mount for the 8202. My crate engine came with it horizontally mounted. At less than 3,000 miles it quit. I now have pictures of my pride and joy on a rollback. Instructions for the replacement said to mount vertically. I used the same mount as bolt 737. Put on another 3,000 and so far so good. I am going to buy a spare and keep it in the trunk just in case.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    I agree with the vertical mount for the 8202. My crate engine came with it horizontally mounted. At less than 3,000 miles it quit. I now have pictures of my pride and joy on a rollback. Instructions for the replacement said to mount vertically. I used the same mount as bolt 737. Put on another 3,000 and so far so good. I am going to buy a spare and keep it in the trunk just in case.
    I recall my discussion with Mike Forte as to mounting this unit vertically as it is oil filled and can leak out. I was going over my list of questions, had read the fine print of instructions and thought I'd confirm with him. He mentioned it was rare that anyone had asked him about this, but yes, should be mounted vertically.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with a guy who worked for Mallory(before MSD merger) a few years ago about this subject when I stuffed a 302 in a TR6, and his recommendation was to mount them upright and off the motor to avoid the heat.
    The 289 I'm building has the coil mounted on the passenger foot box by making a simple bracket out of a piece of split tailpipe about 3" long with tabs for a bolt, and three washers to screw it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to put it on the square tube on the passenger side of the car near the f panel. Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I will add coil relocation to my list of spring projects.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.