Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Center section - Very tight fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Center section - Very tight fit?

Put in the center diff this past weekend (This: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4001-88373T), and with the bushings in there was no way the bolts would all line up at once. I ended up putting one in, then using a ratchet strap to pull the diff around so I could get the rest of the bolts in. They are all now all in, and torqued, but that's only because I was able to compress the bushings enough in whatever direction so the bolts would go in.

Is that normal?

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't be that extreme. Assuming its a 4 link one of the frame brackets must be off a little. I'm using adjustable links so I didn't run into that issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue with the IRS center section except it took me 2 ratchet straps, one brother, and one father to get it in. Not sure if its normal, but it was the same with me and I figured the bushings could handle it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2015 IRS center section installation in my Roadster was very tight as well. Many have reported the same thing. So I don't think it's unusual. After tugging, pulling, and beating on mine some, figured there had to be a better way. I made some tapered pins and it was very easy to line it up. Installation here in my build thread. Keep scrolling for another post describing the pins. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post209901
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same issue on my Roadster. It doesn't take much misalignment to make it a real pain to get in. I made the mistake of doing it by myself and after quite a bit of cussing and a pulled muscle or two I was able to get it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, seems like I'm at least not the only one. Maybe the IRS mounts aren't quite right, maybe that's on purpose for some reason. But nice to know it's not just me. I sure hope I done ever break it.... can't imagine the pain it'll be to replace in a completed car.