BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Considering Coupe - 2 different routes

Post Thanks / Like

Considering Coupe - 2 different routes

And now the pendulum of my car of choice has swung to the Coupe (I have waffled for years between Coupe and Roadster, and have not started either due to "life" intruding). This is largely due to the introduction of the Gen 3 car: the new chassis, the revised body shape, and the increased interior room are all compelling.

So if I do take the plunge, there are 2 very different build plans I am considering. I'll summarize them both here, and I'd like any feedback y'all can give.

1. Period-correct

I have always been a big fan of period-correct cars, primarily from studying the roadster and its history. So for the coupe, this means I'd do something like the following:
    15" Halibrand-look wheels
    Sparse interior, with flat, black vinyl dash
    Viking blue body, no stripes, with half of rear-end in Wimbledon white
    331 stroker engine with either Weber 48 IDAs or twin Holleys
    A/C (I am in Texas, and I realize that cold air is not exactly an original feature in these cars)
    Vintage components in engine bay
    IRS

2. Current-day
    17" wheels of undetermined design. Rear wheels/tires quite wide.
    Customized interior/dash (you may recall seeing the Terminator car on the other forum and what he did with his dash, seats and console). Possibly have a driver's side with the "wrap-around" aspects of the Gen 7 Corvette's dash and console.
    Not sure of color, but not bound by typical choices. The rear-end would certainly be half/half colors. Some metallics might be in order.
    Coyote engine
    A/C
    Fast Freddie's Hydro-Electric power steering
    Under-car exhaust (oval tubing, exit through slots in the rear), mainly to reduce noise
    IRS

You can see that these would yield quite different cars. You can also see I am just loosely cipherin' on some vague ideas at this point. Right now I am probably more intrigued by the current-day plan, mainly because it incorporates some ideas I have never previously considered (since I have thought mainly of doing a period-correct roadster).

Again, sure would love to get some feedback/ideas/questions from some of y'all.
    Alan

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
    - Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    Period correct but that is just me. Can't go wrong with either.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because the 65 coupe body is so easily recognized for what it replicates, my preference is to stay relatively old school. For me, if you want a modern interior, you could build a GTM or 818. These two stand on their own so your imagination could run wild.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As a current builder of a GENII coupe, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. If you want to go original then you only have 1 choice and that is a GENII due to the ladder frame. If you go the GENIII go wild and crazy. The END!

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with ricobrafan. I also think the 331 is smart too as I'm still not sure that we can get an air cleaner on and close the hood. We already took off the spacer under the carb. It's on a 351 based 408.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricobrafan View Post
    As a current builder of a GENII coupe, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. If you want to go original then you only have 1 choice and that is a GENII due to the ladder frame. If you go the GENIII go wild and crazy. The END!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The latest generation is amazing and though not period correct is a fantastic interpretation of this iconic car.

As far as power goes, I'd look long and hard at an LS-3 and go totally crazy and build the ultimate Daytona!

I've seen and sat in a completed car and rolling chassis at Cruising The Emerald Coast last fall and am totally impressed.

Good Luck From The Dark Side!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-09-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old school is my vote

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has slightly different taste for these things - I'm in the middle of a Gen2 build with my father and we decided to go with a bit of middle ground. The car will be a 65 but with period 'production' comforts that the race car never had. The idea is to take the car and imagine that Ford took the Peter Brock car and wanted to do a limited production run. This means it won't have crazy LCD screens or other modern things, but it will have a nicer leather interior modeled after other icons of the time. Our drive train is simple 302 with throttle-body injection that looks like a carb (for ease of use).

Our will look like it's from 1965-66 ish - but with some comfort....almost like a GT version of the car instead of straight race car. I would say the only thing that would be a bit out of place for the 65-66 production idea would be the 17" wheels - we want big brakes, so that means bigger wheels (still going with the Shelby design).

Check out the blog in my signature for more details - or just ask :-)
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=aks801;267300
    So if I do take the plunge, there are 2 very different build plans I am considering. I'll summarize them both here, and I'd like any feedback y'all can give.

Again, sure would love to get some feedback/ideas/questions from some of y'all.[/QUOTE]

Hi aks803,

What do you envision doing with the car? Driving (alot or just some)? Taking it to car shows?

-Bob
    Last edited by Bob-STL; 02-09-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'd combine the best of the two scenarios, namely a period-correct appearance (traditional paint scheme, side pipes, sparse interior, stack-injected small block ford, whatever vintage fluid reservoirs, etc. you can find), but with larger wheels, big brakes, A/C, new IRS system (in sort, all the things that will make the car perform great on the street and track). Others know more but I think this basic plan would yield the best resale value if you had to sell the thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm helping a friend configure and build a Gen III Coupe. Car is on order and some parts are here. The basic plan is for a trackable street car. Big aluminum small block, stack injection, IRS, big wheels & tires and brakes. Semi period correct interior and dash with liberties. Some creature comforts, probably A/C, carpet, Kirkey high back road race seats. General expectation is that it will run well. So I guess this is a cross between some period correct and new tech upgrades.

If I was to build a period correct car it would have to look like it just completed the 24 hours of Le Mans. Dirty blue, run hard and not yet put away.

The beauty of building you own is that it is your own - no rules.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    ... with period 'production' comforts that the race car never had. The idea is to take the car and imagine that Ford took the Peter Brock car and wanted to do a limited production run... it will have a nicer leather interior modeled after other icons of the time. Our drive train is simple 302 with throttle-body injection that looks like a carb (for ease of use).

Our will look like it's from 1965-66 ish - but with some comfort....almost like a GT version of the car instead of straight race car...
    I REALLY like the vision and build plan you have for your car. And your blog is outstanding.
    Alan

- Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    ...What do you envision doing with the car? Driving (alot or just some)? Taking it to car shows...
    Good question: I think a builder must be real clear on this. I see doing some fun day drives, get out of town. Doing some Friday night local cruise-ins. The occasional Cars 'n Coffee. Maybe get it on a track sometime.
    Alan

- Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    Old school if you are building an FFR. If you want to go new school buy a used SuperFormance...I saw two at Barret Jackson two weeks ago. One went for $60K and the other went for $92K.

Just my 2 cents.
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like

A Driver Coupe

I am planning to build a Gen 3 coupe with these ideas:

has to be a driver, capable of some comfort on a 4-6 hour drive

will have A/C, power steering, windows, wipers

sound/heat insulation wherever possible

radio/mp3 installed

has to somewhat weatherproof, at least capable of being driven in rain without getting the interior wet

will occasionally be parked overnight in a hotel or B&B parking area

must have locking doors and windows

Coyote engine (may be from F-150), really, isn't 385 HP enough ?

possibly cast exhaust manifolds from F-150

Tremec Magnum 6 speed (to get cruising rpm low) or TKO with 0.64 5th

solid rear axle, 3.31 or 3.15 ratio

ground clearance of 4.5" minimum (to get in my driveway)

boB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Alan. I was reading your post and by chance I bought the "Terminator" car from TX. Will be selling soon. I am going through the car atm. Let me know if you would be interested in it. 336-978-4355. Just turned in title and it is to be titled as a 1965. I like the modern components on the car but classic look.