Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What shall I order today for 818C

Post Thanks / Like

What shall I order today for 818C

Ordering my 818C later today for spring delivery and asking the group what options you
    are glad you ordered and which ones you later wished you had ordered.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on how much customization you will do to the frame the power-coat may be pointless. It was a good price and I got it, but I've made several adjustment which required sanding and painting.

I'm actually really happy with the windshield wiper option. I did some extra customization to the hood to blend in the cut out and I think it can come out looking very nice.

my $.02
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I hadn't bought the wiper kit. Also, I wouldn't get the frame powder coated, cause you will prolly want to modify something. I wouldn't spring for seat adjusters either, cause they raise you up almost a full inch. Also, wouldn't get the harness bar, its a joke. Wouldn't get the carpet set either, cause they don't include a piece to put where the fuel tank normally goes, just in case you relocate the fuel tank. I prolly could've saved some serious $ if I had waited. But if anything I've mentioned sounds like you would want it, pm me and I'll cut you a real deal.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt order any options except maybe powder coating the frame if you don't plan on making frame mods. Order stuff as you need it. Your plans may change mid-build. Modify one thing and suddenly 10 other things need to be done differently so many options you ordered may no longer fit or work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote yes to powder coating. I had to sand down a few spots for when I welded in my seat mounts and other customization. For the price i don't see why not. Its stronger then a DIY paint job in most cases. Also I rather spray paint a few spots that I sand down vs paint the whole thing. I also have no idea if anyone in my area has an oven to fit the frame in for a reasonable price that is.

Vinyl cover on dash and cards might be worth it if you don't want to do it yourself and its cheaper to order that now rather then later.

You can sub in the the R shocks and or springs for free. I got the R shocks and S springs. Cheaper to upgrade springs in the future rather then the shocks.
    Last edited by redfogo; 11-16-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coated frame. Even with frame mods it was a huge plus for me. If you don't have an easy access to get it powder coated by yourself and if black is the color you want, for the price it's worth the quality. If you want top notch quality then do it on your end.

I had to do frame mods in the back and I used POR-15 with a brush to cover the parts and it works perfect. I also did the same on the entire door frames (no powder coat on mine) and it's great.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One thing to consider, is shipping for any large options. If you have Stewart deliver the kit, there's no additional charge for things like aero parts, trunk kit, etc... an initial delivery. But if you do choose to order those at a later date, shipping could add up to hundreds of extra dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the axles and was glad that I did. It is far better than messing with used donor axles. As Frank 818 mentioned, I have also used the black POR-15 with a brush and it matched perfect with powder coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    As said above, consider saving the shipping costs by including big stuff, like wheels or aero parts. OTOH, maybe you'd rather delay some expenses. Since tires age, I like to buy them only when needed. And, I'm glad I got powder coating.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did order as follows: 818C, powder coat, 02-04 turbo, matte black wheels, CF splitter, CF diffuser, CF rear spoiler,
    vinyl interior, wiper, billet shifter, new axles. Car has factory Momo wheel. Not sure if I should replace?
    Spring delivery so got lots of time to make changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out some of the threads regarding shifter mods.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would NOT have got the powdercoat. sure it was a great deal, but the quality was seriously poor. so much has flaked off and I'm constantly having to epoxy paint it.

I would have paid 5x as much and just taken it to a local guy who would have actually done some prep work. axles were not an option when I ordered but would def do it if I had the option now.

the big CF stuff is smart to order now, so you don't have to double up on shipping. I would ask for an extra piece of underseat .030 to by packed as well because I needed more to make some extra parts.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    You've got an early kit (#30 or so if I remember), but FFR improved slightly the powder process after and on mine (#181) nothing at all flaked off, it's as good as it was when I got it, with minimal imperfections. Actually all the imperfections are not visible with the body on and I didn't need to fix any as they weren't down to bare metal. No rust either.

Might be good to investigate and make sure that the current kits have an acceptable powder coat, though, just in case mine was a "good" one that luckily came out, but I know I'm not the only one.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How about some nice mandrel bent coolant tubes from Breeze?
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1106&cat_id=55
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Check out some of the threads regarding shifter mods.
    Thanks. Do you mean mods to the billet shifter? I remember mods to FFR stock shifter but not the billet one. Possibly you mean cable end?

Post Thanks / Like
    the big CF stuff is smart to order now, so you don't have to double up on shipping. I would ask for an extra piece of underseat .030 to by packed as well because I needed more to make some extra parts.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean an extra piece of carbon or aluminum? Extra is always nice. I still have some extra flat carbon sheet I got from Corvette Racing supplier that
    was not quite as flat as spec was so I got it cheap.
    Thanks for reply

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    aluminum. I used a bunch of it to make filler panels etc for the R.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc5r View Post
    Thanks. Do you mean mods to the billet shifter? I remember mods to FFR stock shifter but not the billet one. Possibly you mean cable end?
    I'm mean that some have ditched the shifter that FFR offers in favor of either one from a mr2 or the shifter that Wayne sells.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...=Mr2%20shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm mean that some have ditched the shifter that FFR offers in favor of either one from a mr2 or the shifter that Wayne sells.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...=Mr2%20shifter
    Thanks but I did order the FFR billet which I think is the K-tuned. Please tell me if I am mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR one is a k-tuned (a different model from the one Wayne sells) but still uses the longer cables which go to the front then around the driver side to the transmission. The cables from the mr2 and the K-tuned shifter that Wayne sells go out the back over the gas tank, making a shorter run and a more positive feel in the shifting. Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR one is a k-tuned (a different model from the one Wayne sells) but still uses the longer cables which go to the front then around the driver side to the transmission. The cables from the mr2 and the K-tuned shifter that Wayne sells go out the back over the gas tank, making a shorter run and a more positive feel in the shifting. Just something to think about.
    I did not know that. I would think the rear cable would be way better. I hope I get some replies to help me decide. I still have time to cancel the FFR one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a Google serf on the subject

https://www.google.com/search?q=mr2+...&client=safari

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a Google serf on the subject

https://www.google.com/search?q=mr2+...&client=safari
    thanks. Good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could have fit 2 818s on my trailer... oh well

Anyways, you'll be really pleased with the CF pieces they are worth the money in my opinion. I opted for a bare frame as many are recommending but it is a lot of work to prep and paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, when is your completion date?
    Factory Five 818c #456