Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote install clutch pedal switches

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote install clutch pedal switches

Trying to do lots of reading prior to my kit arriving.

Planning on the coyote install and have been reading the FFR instructions. Notice the difference for clutch pedal position switches. Up to 2014 I can install the switch or ground it and not use. The 15 and up instructions detail the installation of 2 switches with no option for not installing. If I had planned on a donor pedal box is it still possible to install the switched (read - easy) or does that imply that I should et a 2014 and older motor?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Not Factory Five Tech (obviously...) but will offer a response since I have some experience. The 2015 and up Coyote crate motor control pack does have two switches for the clutch. The bottom switch is a clutch safety switch. The engine won't crank or start without the switch being closed (e.g. pushing the clutch all the way down). The top switch, so I'm told by Ford technical support, is related to the driveability/stalling issues experienced with the previous Coyote version. It's no longer necessary to install the M-4209ADPT-AC Speedometer Recalibration Device to prevent stalling. Or spend the $150 for the module.

You will find other posts where guys have used alternate arrangements for the two switches, including mounting them together or even wiring them together. Personally, I want (need?) the added safety of having to push the clutch down for the engine to start. And I have no idea of the consequences of not using the top switch exactly as Ford designed it or wiring them differently. I strongly suggest whatever you do, install the two switches as the instructions show. I'm not officially on the road yet, but I've started and driven mine enough to know it's working perfectly.

Factory Five sells mounting brackets for each of the clutch switches, but they assume (1) you're using a Wilwood pedal box, and (2) you're using their the cable clutch setup. The newer Coyote has a number of advantages, not the least of which is more power. While I'm confident the necessary switches could be added to a donor pedal box, it likely would take some fabrication and sounds like you're trying to avoid that. I would switch to a Wilwood pedal box long before I would use the older Coyote crate motor and controls pack. There are pluses and minuses to that decision as well. But I've installed both a Mustang pedal box and a Wilwood twice. I prefer the Wilwood setup by a pretty wide margin.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-11-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.