Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alum Panel Treatment

Post Thanks / Like

Alum Panel Treatment

I am stumbling along, working in different areas every day, it seems. I am fitting and drilling the trunk alum, after installing the drop box and battery box. I lack installing the cubby kit.
    My question, does anyone leave the bottom and outside of the alum panel bare? I am considering wiping down with Sharkskin, leaving bare, or painting. I am not going the powder coat or Sharkhyde route. I plan to use the peel and stick stuff on the inside of the cockpit and trunk. Any advise on the options I have listed will be appreciated. If those listed are big No No's feel free to advise me so.
    Thanks
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Panel treatment appears to be one of those builder-preference things. At build school, both instructors said that they had left their aluminum panels bare. The cars were 7 and 10 years old, and showed no ill effects.

I painted the surfaces that didn't get covered in peel-n-stick. I roughed up the surfaces to be painted with 80 grit sandpaper, then wiped it down with acetone. Then, I scrubbed the to be painted surfaces with PreKote (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=7243) according to the application instructions (under the documents tab of the product description), rinsed the firewall thoroughly with water from the hose, and let it air dry. Then I sprayed with two coats of high(er) temperature paint (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N04BVOC/...words=hammered). All this prep is probably overkill, but I don't want the paint peeling off.

Following the same preparation steps, I covered the road-facing surfaces with Duplicolor truck bed liner instead of paint.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I used rattle can undercoating on the under side of all the panels but wasn't durable until after several months of drying. I scratch off many places while working on the car and was constantly reapplying. Now, more than a year later, it seems hard and tough. For the areas you are going to carpet and or apply peel and stick, might as well leave the panels bare so the adhesive will stick well. For my panels that were going to show when all was done, I quickly sanded them with 120 grit on a RA sander and buffed them with a green scotch bright pad and applied a clear coat of lacquer.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad you're not considering Sharkhide -- that stuff works great and lasts longer than the clear coats I've tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    At build school, both instructors said that they had left their aluminum panels bare. The cars were 7 and 10 years old, and showed no ill effects.
    Like nearly everything with these builds, just depends on what you want. "No ill effects" I'm assuming means still structurally sound. Unless you live near the ocean where corrosion can be a concern, can't disagree. However, the bare aluminum will turn a grey color. Some like the patina. Others may not. Plus it will stain and be harder to keep clean. If that's important to you.

I personally like powder coat, but then I both show and drive my cars. It stays looking brand new and is easy to keep clean. It's not particularly cheap, but in the grand scheme of the total build budget, a small percentage. Worth it for me. I know not for everyone though. DIY methods (paint, Sharkhide, undercoat, polish, etc.) are cheaper, but there are a lot of panels and you can sink a lot of time into it. My time has value to. (At least I like to think so... )

As far as finishing "what shows" again depends on your definition. From the engine compartment? From the wheel wells? From the underside? I want everything that shows, regardless of where, to be finished. There are literally only a couple pieces that don't have at least one side showing somewhere. Again though, a personal choice.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are bare and I just wipe the visible ones down with a rag that has a little WD-40 on it occasionally - they all still look new.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Clear anodize after all drilling and fitting.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all, for the advise. Leaning toward Sharkskin for the bare alum unseen and covered by the body. Considering paint on the visible alum, and peel and stick under the interior and trunk areas. Will do the bedliner stuff on wheel wells and heavy splash areas. Subject to change with the wind.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the painted panels, a self-etching primer (Zinc Chromate or similar) will improve adherence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanded with 320 wet/dry. Leaving as sanded

Post Thanks / Like
    2fast4u, very nice. Did you hand sand with a block or use a powered sander?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the budget will stretch a few hundred$$$....go the powder coat route

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    If the budget will stretch a few hundred$$$....go the powder coat route
    Entirely agree, but would add to do all powder coating in one batch. Multiple small batches increases cost. (Ask me how I know!!) Also keep in mind what will be seen and what will not be seen. If you aren't showing the car, the floor panels will be covered in carpet, and the underside won't be seen unless you are less than 4" tall or you flip the car over . . . in which case you have bigger issues!! The back wall will be covered in carpet, but the outboard wings will be seen inside the wheel wells and the top will be seen in the trunk. The Trunk aluminum might or might not be covered in carpet on the inside, and only the side walls will be seen inside the rear wheel wells. Don't bother coating only one side of any panels. It doesn't save you any money. The inboard and front of the foot boxes and the firewall will be seen inside the engine bay. The outboard foot box panels cannot be seen unless you follow in my footsteps and do the Flip Top Mod! The F Panels can be seen in the engine bay. If you do it all in one batch, it isn't too expensive, and really sets off your build as one of quality!

Good luck with your decision.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips on paint and coating. Love the hammered powder coat. I have the anniv ed, so the foot boxes are already coated white. I am still fitting the alum panels. Also, still mentally wrestling with which route to go. I wouldn't mind seeing some alum to define the car as a built car and not a production item.