BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frame Symmetry and RHD plausabilty/difficulty

Post Thanks / Like

Frame Symmetry and RHD plausabilty/difficulty

Hi All,
    I'm from Australia and I am considering starting a GTM build, but taking into account the considerable financial investment I am looking to confirm a few thing before I commit. That's where you wonderful people come in.

First things first, if am going to do this I will be looking to build a Right Hand Drive, purely for convenience purposes. With this in mind I am left wondering three things.

1: Is the frame geometry laterally (left to right) symmetrical, or will I need to perform frame modifications, if so, what would be required?
    2: In terms of interior, apart from the obvious steering wheel switch, will I need to swap anything over to the opposite side; the gear stick, or any AC ducts/units for example?
    3: How hard would it be to convert the dash, or would it be simpler or just as easy to scratch build one (Note: depending on how ambitious I am feeling at the time, I may just scratch build the entire accessories interface; Radio, AC control, GPS, iPod, etc., and write a custom OS to go with it; and therefore a scratch built dash/interior, just for kicks)

Any other input and/or warnings regarding a RHD conversion, also any links to previous RHD conversion sites or blogs would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the Factoryfive company site...new stuff...and you'll see there is now an official rep in Oz. He can probably give you all the info you need on Right hand steering, engineering stuff to get you passed the inspection, and anything else you might need.
    HTH Cheers, Jeff
    GTM 422, LS6, cam, heads, Mendeola trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot claybags, I will most certainly look into that, but I am still open to advice as to how I could achieve this conversion.

Tech Manager, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the RHD conversion will be fairly straightforward in a GTM, mostly just requiring moving the pedal box mount from the LH side to the RH side. The center tunnel and exterior tubes are symmetrical, and the front of the chassis is symmetrical also. Even the steering shaft should be fine on the other side.

Claybags made a good point - you should get in contact with Chris Canning of Component Cars Australia (Ph. 006114203608) over in Perth. He's got some Factory Fives coming over in to him around early July and will likely have more soon thereafter - maybe he can include a GTM in that same container!

Jason @ FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stooge1991
    The requirements for ICV's vary from state to state and there are numerous modifications required over and above the repositioning of the steering wheel. Where in Australia are you?
    Im just heading home after finalising the Australian compliance issues with the guys at Factory Five and will be home on Friday if you want to discuss the GTM give me a buzz on 0420360891.
    Regards
    Chris
    Chris Canning
    Component Cars Australia