Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thread: Massachusetts Registration Question

Massachusetts Registration Question

So I built an mkIV with the intent that it would go down to Florida with my father and be registered there. Due to unforeseen circumstances it appears that it will stay with me here in Massachusetts. I have heard that mass is one of the tougher states to register in and would like to get any advice or things I can do to help the process (car is ready for paint). I have a donor car that I used it's an 89 mustang but the motor was a crate motor that I put in the mustang a few years prior to the build(347 stroker). Just trying to prepare myself for how tough a process it will be.

Hope this helps. You have to make an appointment with the state police for an inspection ( mine was done in Westboro). You will have to have your car transported to the inspection site and will need all the sales receipts. There was no emission testing nor inspection ( Mass had passed the SEMA bill ) of the car just a review of the receipts. Once done you will get a VIN # to be able to register. All this was done a number of years ago so my memory may be fuzzy but it was not a BIG deal just a huge pain. Somebody else needs to provide some fact checking to be sure this is up to date. Next get ready to pay the sales tax.

I outlined my experience with an 818 in this thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...car-inspection Others included their's as well.

Do I need to keep the donor car around for the inspection process or does the old title and certificate of destruction suffice?

I just had the paperwork (title but no certificate of destruction).

This is always a good place to start: http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_MA.pdf

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

All I needed was the sales receipts. Be sure the VIN #s of the donor car(s) are listed on the receipts. You need to be able to show the parts were not stolen which is what the police were looking for. Also be real careful if you buy on line.

Mass Registration/Inspection

Quote Originally Posted by jvolpe3491 View Post
    All I needed was the sales receipts. Be sure the VIN #s of the donor car(s) are listed on the receipts. You need to be able to show the parts were not stolen which is what the police were looking for. Also be real careful if you buy on line.
    I plan on buying a complete rebuilt 1969 351W from a Mustang restoration shop in CT, will the sales receipt be adequate? The only "old" part is the block, everything else is new. It's a old block that's been lying around with no VIN information from the vehicle where it came from.

I plan on buying a complete rebuilt 1969 351W from a Mustang restoration shop in CT, will the sales receipt be adequate? The only "old" part is the block, everything else is new. It's a old block that's been lying around with no VIN information from the vehicle where it came from.

I successfully registered my Mk IV in Mass last year. I had to get a VIN sticker from the state police, insurance, MA registration, inspection sticker and an emissions inspection. For me the emissions was the most difficult because that determined what engine would go in the car. In my case I bought a drive train from a 91 Mustang with the title. This is what I found.

VIN Sticker - the state police want to verify that the engine is not stolen. No problem because I had the title to the Mustang and the code on the engine block matched the Mustang's VIN. Note: You need to visit the MA Registry and pay $50 to get an appointment with the state police.
    Insurance- I went with Hagerty. Much cheaper than my regular auto insurance ($3k vs $560 per year)
    MA Registration - Back to the registry with your paperwork. They will probably not know how to enter the car correctly into the system. Be nice and you will at least get your plates.
    Inspection sticker - I went with to the best garage I know for a complete inspection. I wanted to make sure the car was safe. No problems and I drove off with my rejection sticker because they could not inspect the emissions for a 91 engine.
    Emissions inspection - As I understand it you have 3 options in MA. 1) Buy a brand new emissions compliant engine 2) Use an engine from a donor that includes all the period correct emissions equipment 3) Sacrifice a '73 or older car with an engine that is the same cubic inch or larger than that in the Cobra. You have to prove with paperwork that you sacrificed a car by bringing it to a junk yard and having the engine and body destroyed. I chose #2. The next step is to visit a MA MAC center to get a waiver for the emissions requirement. For me that meant I had to have all of the original emissions equipment in place for a visual inspection only. But I did forgot to have an "unleaded fuel only" sticker mounted near the gas cap. The guy was reasonable and let it slide. He then applied for my waiver with the MA EPA. It was rejected because the MA EPA needs to have it registered as a "Cobra" . Back to the registry and they registered it correctly. Back to the MAC and the EPA accepted it and put an emission waiver into the computer. Back to the inspection station and they gave me my sticker.
    The crazy thing is I can now do what ever I want to the engine and because of the emissions waiver in the computer, I can get a sticker. Of course if I sell it the new owner would need to make it emission compliant again for a 91 and get an exception from the MAC center.
    Bottom line, do your homework and be patient. Its worth it.

Ed

As I read this, if I build a roadster with a 65-67 289 converted to a roller motor, it will by virtue of the YOM of the motor be emissions exempt. Am I correct? Thanks.

Chuckster I believe this would be true. In my experience you would still need to prove to the state police that it was not stolen and to the folks at the MAC center that the engine is from the 60's. It sounds like a good way to go. I am not an expert on this and would highly recommend that you investigate. MA has a lot of regulations. It can be difficult getting through the swamp.

Chuckster,
    I contacted a Paul Davis at the MA DEP, he cleared my 1969 351W block for emissions buy running the block casting number through the MAC. He was very helpful! Email below

Davis, Paul (DEP) <[email protected]>