Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where can I find a set of side pipe hangers and hardware?

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I find a set of side pipe hangers and hardware?

I haven't called F5R yet. I figured if I have to buy something I probably should look into an improvement. I purchased my pipes ceramic coated from a memeber here but I don't have the hangers or any hardware or gaskets. I plan to use copper RTV for the gaskets and used nuts and bolts I had lieing around for my first start. I have since purchased some 1 1/2" bolts for the pipes. I wasn't sure what to do about nuts... should I go with lock washers and standard nuts or the rimmed style self locking nuts (not nylocks). As far as the actual hanger... I'm up for any suggestions. You guys havnt steered me wrong yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't worry about the side pipe hangars for first start or even go-kart. Some forum members will say don't bother with them at all. I personal prefer them, but typically don't install them until final assembly.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have them on and have had my first start. I'll have my upper steering shaft Thursday so I can go cart it. I'm just making sure I have them.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FFR5 is the first place I would check.

It's funny how some of the things we do on the build just seem useless. However, I found a practical use for the hangers. They are helpful when you are alone and need a helping hand to get the header/sidepipe bolts started during reassembly. You're right to use the nuts you mentioned (self locking).

Also, on this forum, I discovered the issues some have had when they are cinched down too hard with both bolts resuting in damage to the side pipe flange. So use a single bolt so they pivot with movement.

If you can't find what you need, I can do a template for you or someone on the forum may already have it available.

Good luck,

WEK
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any other options for hangers and hardware?? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 or 3 sets (you wind up with two when you buy the stainless pipes---one mild steel and another in stainless). Everything is still boxed up from the move but I will have located them by the time you're ready to do final assembly after paint and would be happy to send them your way.

BTW, I don't recommend fitting the hangers until after the body is done because you may well have to make up/down/in/out adjustments to the pipes to match the body position.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jeff. I will take you up on that offer. Shoot me a p.m. And we. Can discuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely take Jeff up on it. I broke my #1 header pipe by not using them. Then my friend broke his in the same place about a month later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I at risk during go carting??

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

This is good information to know so "Thanks For Posting It!"

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I second what Jeff Kleiner said about not worrying about mounting the hangars until after the body is on for final time. Don't ask how I know!
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have 500 miles on my Mk3 but tried to read as much as I could on this subject during my build. I don't have mine installed on the conclusion that from what I read, most of the incidents of cracked headers were on J-pipes and not 4-into-4s. I do still have mine and may reconsider once the bodywork is completed, car painted, etc.

From my 'research':

1. If you're using J-pipes, install the hangers. 4-into-4s, not really needed unless you expect to be airborne/race.
    2. If you install the hangers, read up on how to attach them as 'by the book' can reduce the amount of motion that is going to be needed to accommodate engine movement and lead to damage
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store