BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best low-buck way to move the chassis around?

Post Thanks / Like

Best low-buck way to move the chassis around?

Not much left to do except pull the engine and the front/rear suspension. What's the best way to move the shell around on the cheap? I don't think I have anything that would be useful, so point for creativity over a bought solution.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought 4 dolly's from harbour freight for $11 ea and threw a 4 x 4 across each pair. Jack up the chassis, take off whatever you want and it moves around easily. Now I am using it to move my 818 around when I need to .
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    go ahead and start shopping for a used forklift. it will pay itself of quickly around the house. I use mine to clean the gutters and pressure wash the house. oh, and its good for pulling engines or moving donor carcusIMG_3693_zpsx22cxudx.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... a forklift. That's cool!!

I think the cheapest way is the HF dollies like Harley said. One of the few cases where I don't feel dirty going there for something.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one dolly from Harbor Freight and attached the wheels to some 2x4s and made mega dolly.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    that's badass, never would have thought to do that. now i want one.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used harbor freight dollies with 2x12s screwed to the tops. Then put large harbor freight jack stands on top of each one so the car was up at counter-top level.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same , habor freight dollies and the LG jack stands. I've seen the dollies and concrete block too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, those dollies are pretty versatile. I screwed a wood engine stand on mine and move the Coyote around on it. I like the forklift idea. Too bad I don't have room for one
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    You would be surprised how compact and how reasonably priced a 3,000# fork lift is, takes up less footprint maybe 42" 72" than my riding mower, and cost considerably less. It allows me to use pallet racks to store heavy engines etc on top shelves. The only down side is they need pavement or compacted gravel, keep them off the grass (lol, ask me how I know)

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, you should definitely buy a forklift . . . and a trailer for it.

I might need to borrow it.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    The forklift is a great idea. I wonder if I can slide that one past wifey....

On another note, I got my engine lift put together last night. Got it for $40 off, so maybe I'll hit up the freight for those dollies. Or I might try to move the shell with my lift and my jack and a friend or two, but then there is the task of moving the 818 frame and those dollies would be useful again.

Thanks all!