Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1997 Cobra Champ oil Pan Question

Post Thanks / Like

1997 Cobra Champ oil Pan Question

I installed a a champ shallow oil pan on my 1997 Cobra engine. On the drivers side of the champ pan there is a 1/2 inch threaded hole, not the oil drainage hole. Does anyone know what that is for or can I plug it up?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Used as a port for oil temp. If you are not using an oil temp gauge yes you can plug it.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gordon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used that hole for my oil temp sensor.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also found out that the stock dipstick is not long enough to register the 7 quart (including filter) capacity of the Champ pan. When I added enough oil to register full on the stock dipstick, I had almost 9 quarts in the pan. The manufacturer recommended that I get a longer dipstick and establish a new full mark at the 7 quart level.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Walt,

Did you purchase a specific dipstick? Also, thanks for the reply and help. Not sure I would have realized that without getting myself in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a generic stick from an auto parts store, put 6 quarts in the pan along with a new filter, and let the engine run for a few minutes. After engine drain down, I marked the 6 quart level on the stick, added another quart, and then marked the stick for full. I then cut off the excess stick, tapered the end a little so that it would slide down the tube smoothly and that was it.

I have experienced long sweeping turns at the track with no hickup in oil pressure, so the pan controls the oil as designed. I also like the fact that the oil pool is farther away from the crank and windage tray (no special reason). My cruising oil temperature in summer never gets above 150 and at the track it never gets above 180 after twenty minutes of spirited driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I will do the same.