FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6r80...?

Post Thanks / Like

6r80...?

Is anyone contemplating... or in the process of installing a 2011-2017 6R80 automatic transmission with their 5.0 Coyote engine?

I am very interested in determining if this transmission will fit inside the tunnel of a MK3.1 or Mk4 frame.

Please advise if you are...or know of a builder who is.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All, This question on automatic transmissions received no responses, As I am interested I will bump this post. Thanks, Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to know too. Same engine, same trans.

Please take a look at this thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...a-Mk4-Roadster. It's about the 5.0 Coyote and a 2018 Mustang trans (so a 10R80?).

In short, it looks possible, but only after modifications to the transmission tunnel for clearance; and possibly need an aftermarket shifter. It does not appear as though someone has actually tried this and provided pictures yet. I'm hoping I won't be the first in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission is short enough to fit pretty easily. You will need to have a custom made plunge type drive shaft made, but that's no big deal. Pretty much any drive shaft shop can do that for you.

But, the transmission is a little bit wide. Not by much, only about an inch or so on the passenger side. You'll need to make slight mods on that side.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I am just now seeing this. Because I am just now getting started on this part of my project.

I am going to attempt to install this setup in my 33. So i can’t help much with physical fitment.

I’ll post here as I learn, but the plan is to use taller rear gears to offset the very low first gear because the car is so light. I have talked to several converter builders and got a wide range of recommendations, from 2500 to 3700 rpm. I will use the stock mustang one first, rated at 2800ish rpm, and adjust accordingly when I take it apart to paint everything.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed my 6R80 into the hot rod today. Well, partially.

Physically, it fits easy. Right now, the trans Pan is sitting on the FFR crossmember mounting points at 2* angle on the drivetrain. All I’m going to have to do is cut their mounts out, make my own trans mount bracket that bolts to the back of the trans. Then I’ll use the trans mount style that I have (not sure what i specified when I ordered) (which, has the same bolt width as the 6R80 go figure) and weld in a new crossmember. Should be fairly easy. Probably won’t attempt that until after March 24th. Taking it to a car show for our church that day and would prefer it having a good solid place to sit if I don’t get the mount finished up in time.

'33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.