Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Ontario

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Ontario

My name is Ragin and I just wanted to say hello. I'm purchasing a Cobra and I'm very excited about it. This has been a dream of mine since I was 13 years old, finally I've made the jump. Hope you guys/gals don't mind if I ask lots of questions, already started doing a lot of reading. I'm big into Muscle cars, Harley's and Drag Racing. I so look forward to being a part of the Factory Five Cobra community

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. There is lots of good info on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ragin - welcome!

Good to see more Canadians. I'm in London ON and building a 65-coupe - might have to organize a cruise in the future.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, I would be up for a cruise event. I'm hoping to have the car completed within a year if all goes well.

Post Thanks / Like
    It a three day drive across Ontario. Where about are you? If your in the south, when you're ready to get your kit, consider the drive to the Factory Five facility in Wareham. A 14' utility trailer from Canadian Tire and the back seats outta your mini van is all you need to be able to pick up the kit in person. Save a few $$ on shipping and experience a great tour at Factory Five.

The build is so much fun. And there's no other experience like driving a 500hp, 2,300 pound, rocket on rails that's just plain sexy from every angle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the Kingston area, I'm wondering how to get it across the border ? I have to leave the car with the paperwork at the border for the D.O.T to check. Process takes about 1 - 4 weeks for them to process ?
    Last edited by Ragin427; 02-16-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin427 View Post
    I'm in the Kingston area, I'm wondering how to get it across the border ?
    OK - I have notes on my blog about this as well, but here it is in a nutshell.

Factory Five knows the process well and will supply you with the documentation that you require to submit to the ministry of transportation.

Doc 1 - Declaration to import motor vehicle kit parts
    Doc 2 - certificate of origin and invoice information

Once FFR has supplied you with these docs you will submit them to:

Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation
    330 Slater Street, 7th Floor
    Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N5
    Fax: 613-998-8541
    mailto:[email protected]

Once you have your approval paperwork from the bureaucracy, go and get your kit. When you get to the boarder have your paperwork on hand to submit for inspection with the full pick list, invoice and above docs. The important thing here is that your ARE NOT IMPORTING A CAR......you're importing "CAR PARTS". That will be outlined in the paperwork as well.

You'll have to pay taxes on the kit at the crossing (came to about $2500 for us if I remember correctly), and away you go.

Document EVERYTHING. Keep EVERYTHING. you're going to need it when you go and register the car for a VIN and plates.

ALSO, make sure that all of the other parts you obtain for the car are also heavily documented - the MTO will need to show that you did not obtain the other parts (engine, transmission etc) from FFR. It's a strange thing, but you also need to show that you obtained all of your parts legally and that you paid Canadian taxes on those parts.

Makes sense?

Blog reference here - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com...ous-paperwork/
    Last edited by SingleMaltWSKY; 02-16-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all the information, this is really going to help me

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too but there is a ton of great resources here. And great to see other builders in Ontario.

Cheers