FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 351w Water Pump Leak - Void in the casting - how common is this one?

Post Thanks / Like

351w Water Pump Leak - Void in the casting - how common is this one?

I've been fighting a water pump leak on my 351w for a couple of months now and I finally found the culprit.

The problem started when I swapped out my water pump to accommodate my new pulley kit and Power Steering Pump (I needed a 'Clevor' style water pump to accommodate the bracket mounts).
    Every time I installed the water pump, there was a small leak from the inside bolt hole on the driver side port - after the engine came up to temp (and pressure). At first, I just thought I had done something wrong in the installation process - even though I was very careful. I wound up draining and reinstalling it 3 times with greater and greater care each time. I did closely inspect the water pump each time to see if I could figure out where it was leaking from but without any obvious clues.

Finally, I broke down and purchased another new water pump and installed it without any leaks. 4th time was the charm...
    Frustrated, I drilled out the offending bolt hole one size and noticed a small crack on the casting.
    I drilled it out another size and the crack grew even larger as you can see in the image below.

All of the draining of antifreeze and scraping of gaskets really had me down and doubting my mechanical skills so I was very happy to realize that the issue was not the quality of my work!
    This project is all about having fun so I wound up letting it sit for a few weeks here and there while I gathered the patience to do it again.
    Now that this is resolved I can move on to the next adventure!

Hopefully this post helps someone else if they run into a similar issue...

Last edited by RRussellTx; 07-30-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that is my problem. I am on the 3rd install of two pumps. Even got some of the super duper sealer that everyone says is the best for the last install. It's Ok now as I only top up w/ a pint every 3-4 months but there are still quarter sized wet spots under the car some times. Not worth another install to me. Oh, and the Right Stuff container was permanently clogged the next time I tried to use it so it was $15 for one dang pump.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you guys using RTV? Or the Right Stuff? what sealant should I be using

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    This is what I use without fail - Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket Maker - See more at: https://www.permatex.com/products/ga....ERj9guV9.dpuf

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    I used the Permatex and the Right Stuff on different tries. They both worked fine but the Right Stuff had a short working time and also was much harder to separate upon removal. I actually bent the backing plate pretty good trying to get it free. I would probably use the Permatex next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!