FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor Wiring Help ('01 Cobra 4.6L SOHC Donor/Basic Kit)

Post Thanks / Like

Donor Wiring Help ('01 Cobra 4.6L SOHC Donor/Basic Kit)

Ok I have searched and searched, cut and rewired, put in different circuit (two separate flashers), wired the stock donor single flasher. We are using the VW column and I've tried there diagram. I'm completely frustrated and out or ideas lol, please help someone lol. What is happening is when I flip the turn signal switch to either side both lights are coming on as if I turned on hazards, hazards work fine. Just having a problem with the turn signals. I've wired it exactly how the diagram that came with the column says too.

Ok Question #1: Does anyone have a diagram or schematic for the plug with all the wires for the headlights high/low beam, RR/RF TURN, LF/LR TURN, and Hazards thought I had it figured out but obviously not?

Question #2: Has anyone had this problem, and if so what was there solution?

Please help and thank you for taking the time to read this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have diodes in your turn signal circuits?
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Single flasher relay systems require a special type of hazard switch. I used one out of a Jetta. In the off position it connects the hot in run power and the signal lights (in separate circuits) through the signal switch to the flasher relay. When switched to on it connects the hot at all times circuit to the relay and connects all four signal lights together. If you are not using this type of hazard switch then diodes will need to be installed to stop the normal signal light circuit from back feeding through the hazard light circuit.

If you're using a two flasher relay system, you need to put diodes in the circuit to each side of the signal system after the hazard switch to stop the power from feeding all four lights.

If you are using a single indicator light, you will also need diodes in each side of that circuit.

Here are a couple of wiring suggestions. The first is the diagram I used for my switch. I used two indicator lights on the dash and therefore didn't need any diodes.

The second is a crude drawing I just did of the hazard circuit, in a two relay system, indicating where to include the diodes.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replys, The answer to your question is yes I do have diodes in the circuit. I soldered two as specified by the schematic that came with the column. I had a buddy who is very good with automotive wiring and he is stumped as well. New question, what would it take parts relays etc. To make my own harness, say a four or two circuit whatever it needs to have turn/hazard front and back? Has anyone done this?, if so what did they go off of I/E diagrams etc.? Honestly would this be plausible, or be more of a hassle and more exspensive than say just figuring a solution for my dilemma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Show us the schematic you used to wire the turn signal/hazards and maybe one of us on the forum can help.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for not replying to the last question. Update on my progress, ok today I followed the segestion that possible I had a diode backwards which I believe I possible did, so I took it all apart ( my wiring) and re-did it to the schematic well one of the schematic that came with the column, it was the diagram with the turn signal wire (+) that is just to the flasher feed and the hazard flasher is connected to the SPDT switch. Anyway it did the samething I double triple checked my work diodes and all, it's all correct, so I said screw it and made a hot jumper wire and put it to each wire I assumed was my individual lights (LF, LR, RF, RR) and THREE outta four, they are all separated mind you. And THREE outta four made all the lights come on. So it's obviously in the harness and not my wiring(wahooo), so does anyone have anymore suggestions cause I'm going to just run my own wires now instead of fighting these damn lights anymore. Ok thanks to all who replyed....