FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Start, #004 of 20th Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First Start, #004 of 20th Anniversary

We could not have asked for better weather...high of 62 today and 50s the next few days. With the help of Gumball, Jeepurz, my friend Tim and my son Jon we had a successful start. And, of course my wife who had muffins and coffee ready and later lunch, fed the crew. After simply redirecting a wire, nothing major just providing ignition power to the coil,(ha ha) she fired right up. My bad, but those guys caught it. I was on the phone with Mike Forte and he also knew what the problem was. After it warmed up, I took a few laps around the neighborhood and man that felt great. I didn't have the tach connected, another miss wire, so Chris set the idle by ear to 800 rpms per Mike. Later when I attached the tach, I discovered Chris was dead on. I'm impressed.

I have 3 short videos to prove it, now it's a matter of getting them to you all. I've been provided with great instructions but can't quite get it right. Maybe I can Email them to someone and they could post them for me.

Again, thanks to all of you on line for your help and guidance and for the crew that came over today.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, standing-by for videos!
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Congrats!
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay - Glad to be part of the team... was a great day, both weather wise (especially for February in Wisconsin) and FFR-wise. Sure was nice to see another one come to life!

Also, thanks to your wife for some seriously good food - a fed crew is a happy crew.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for spending a good part of your day here. It's an awesome feeling when it starts. Again, could not have done it without you being here.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Never get tired of first start videos. Looking forward to seeing them.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    It was great being a part of the first start Jay! Like you said, what an amazing day of weather and cars... The only thing I didn't like was getting home and realizing just how far away from a first start I am. Riding a lap in your car was quite the motivational push I need though!
    Hope you got out again today!

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepurz View Post
    It was great being a part of the first start Jay! Like you said, what an amazing day of weather and cars... The only thing I didn't like was getting home and realizing just how far away from a first start I am. Riding a lap in your car was quite the motivational push I need though!
    Hope you got out again today!

-TJ
    Matter of fact I did take another lap or so today. I do, however, have a problem with the radiator mounted Adjustable Thermostat Fan Switch. It won't work while the engine is warming up. But then when the engine is off, the switch has occasionally decided to activate the fan. And that can be several minutes after the engine has been off. Since the switch and the capillary tube are inside the fan shroud, I guess I'll have a little teardown to begin Monday.