Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frame rail spacing

Post Thanks / Like

Frame rail spacing

I'm picking up my kit next month and I am planning on using a 6x12 u-haul trailer. I know I need to raise Todd frame to make it clear the rails. I plan on use if two four by fours with stop blocks on either side of the frame rails and strap the frame down. If any one knows of a better way of getting it to fit let me know. My only question at the moment is what is the frame rail width from center to center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its 24 inches. Make sure you have enough room in your tow vehicle for all the boxes. The complete kit has a bunch of them.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the overall frame length? I will be picking up my kit in a few months and have a motorcycle trailer that is 6X10. I've seen pictures of kits loaded on trailers using 4x4's to raise the frame above the side rails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right around 12 feet. Give or take an inch or 2
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Approximately 13 ft long.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I plan on useing a f150 with a topper. I'm hoping all the boxes will fit in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a u-haul trailer for my pick-up. I made a cart that would hold the chassis and body and roll off using the ramp. FFR lowered the car onto the cart while it was still in the truck. Not shown in the picture are the eye hooks that I added for tie down straps. Two of us were able to unload while a third watched the wheels to make sure we were on the ramp. The indents for the tubular fame are on 24" centers and the cart is 85" long. If I recall the frame is 90". The body is 13' long so a 12' foot closed truck will not be long enough. I rented a 20 footer. I continued to use the cart for the early stages of the build. 20140720_154424.jpg20140720_154436.jpg
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures Jimoco. I was thinking of something like this, but I was worried that when I strap it down the force of the body and straps would be to much for the wheels. If you had lick with it then i'll give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trailer.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX2043mtu View Post
    I'm picking up my kit next month and I am planning on using a 6x12 u-haul trailer. I know I need to raise Todd frame to make it clear the rails. I plan on use if two four by fours with stop blocks on either side of the frame rails and strap the frame down. If any one knows of a better way of getting it to fit let me know. My only question at the moment is what is the frame rail width from center to center.
    I picked up my roadster with the same trailer. Make sure you have a means of securing the rear gate/ramp in a rigid open position as the car is a bit too long for the trailer...width is no problem. To get the car off the trailer I removed the body first with the help of my wife and daughter. I then removed the chassis with my engine hoist by blocking the trailer and removing one wheel. Piece of cake!
    Last edited by Joecobr; 02-21-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the big difference for me is I used a closed truck and not the trailer. I was concerned about building a cart high enough to clear the end of the trailer. I also got everything in one truck instead of renting a truck and trailer. You can see that Joecobr's car is much higher off the floor of the trailer than it would be if you used my cart. That said. I think you could build something similar with the additional height. I used heavy duty 6' casters (Home Depot or Harbor Freight) that were rated at a several hundred pounds each. The body, aluminum and chassis weigh about 500 lbs so there is only about 125 pounds on each caster.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    See my edited response above as to how I removed the car from the trailer.