Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 17" Halibrands with 2015 13" Factory Mustang rear brakes

Post Thanks / Like

17" Halibrands with 2015 13" Factory Mustang rear brakes

I've had my rear suspension and brakes assembled for a while now and today I decided to throw a wheel on to check for clearance for routing my ebrake cable and brake hose. Torque the wheel down to spec and it starts rubbing against the caliper. The brakes are the stock 13" off of the '15 GT I got my IRS parts off of.

I was under the impression that these brakes would clear the 17" wheels, am I missing something? I am using aftermarket pads and rotors, but that doesn't change the way the caliper bolts up.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rotor hat thickness of my aftermarket rotors is .332" compared to the .334" of the factory rotors I have sitting here so that's definitely not the issue.

I don't have any wheel spacers handy but a few .100" thick washers between the rotor and the wheel seems to solve my problem.

Am I going to need to run some 1/8" wheel spacers to make this work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures sure would help. See if you can post a few up and let us take a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock caliper in the stock mounting position on the knuckle.

Clearance to the wheel.

Where it rubs on the wheel. Ignore the wheel weight residue. Obviously going to need to relocate those.

and on the caliper

..and here is the clearance with .100" washers installed between the rotor and the wheel. Not much clearance, but no interference and it spins freely.

Last edited by Misterfubar; 02-20-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I can tell you. I was at the Factory Five Open house in 2015 when the new MK4 with the 2015 IRS was debuted. That car wore the new Factory Five 18" Halibrand style wheels. The speculation at that time was that the 17" wheels would work but that it would be "tight". My recommendation to you would be to either do some clearancing of the calipers where they are hitting the wheels or add the 1/8 wheel spacers you mentioned before. The only other option would be to try larger wheels. Clearancing the calipers would not be difficult. Just make sure you have at least 1/8-3/16" clearance between the caliper and the wheel. After you're done just add a little caliper paint in the same color and you'll be golden.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not buying new wheels. I'm already enough over budget.

I'll likely just go with the wheel spacers and some longer studs. The studs already seem a bit short to me and have maybe 3/8-1/2" of thread engagement. I'll double check them when I get home, but there didn't seem to be a lot of thread coming out of the wheel before I put the lugs on.

I didn't think I was installing anything wrong, but maybe wanted to hear that these wheels don't fit the 2015 IRS with Factory Calipers without modification. The description of the wheels gives me the impression that they will. http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/17-x...eplica-wheels/

Post Thanks / Like
    Food for thought.
    When working out the 13" brake combo on the 8.8 live axle I used thicker rotors from the front of a Mustang. The thing that made my combo work best was to
    use the disc pads from a super coupe. They have the same steel backer but they use a thinner lining. Would thinner pads move the sliding shoe inboard away from
    the wheel?
    HTH
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2015- Mustangs with V6 and Ecoboost non track pack run a 12.6 in rotor, from what I can tell the rotor and caliper bracket would need to be changed. I'll be running 17 on my Coupe with the 2015 IRS, if I need to I will go the smaller disc route.

Post Thanks / Like
    I look smaller V6 brakes, and 95% they would be to big still for my 17in wheels. In the process of convert 1998 Mustang Cobra 11.65 brake to the IRS. Hopefully I'll get my brackets cut this week and get them install all on the car. The rotor took a very little trim in order fit completely on the hub. I had bad upright to use as a test, I had to cut one of the mounting holes on the upright in order to get the caliper bracket to fit. Provided all go as plan I'll post some pics late next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five has brackets to do what you are trying to do. No cutting needed.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up using a 5mm hub centric wheel spacer and some 1/4" longer wheel studs(Dorman 610-480) My 2015 13" rear brakes fit just fine under the 17" Halibrands now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the factory five 17 inch Halibrand replica wheels and 2015 mustang 13 inch rotors on my IRS. I had the same interference as shown above. You can clearance the caliper with a grinder or file and they fit just fine. Wheel weight placement will be critical though.