Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Blitzkreig Baja's MK4 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Blitzkreig Baja's MK4 Build

Hello all, Here goes my build thread.

I went with the base kit, but added on several options during the spring sale. manual steering rack, wilwood pedal box, and FFR lower control arms. I have SN95 spindels, discs, and brakes for the front. I rebuilt an 8.8 rear end from a foxbody mustang with 3.27 gears and a 5 lug conversion. I will be staying with the drum brakes and using the 4 link set up. I have a 5.0 HO from a 96 Ford Explorer that I am going to rebuild. It has the better breathing intake, bigger throttle body, and better breathing gt40 Iron heads. (Compared to the stock foxbody set up that is) I've got a BBK MAF sensor and cold air intake I will be adding as well. I have a rebuilt T5 for the transmission and will add a Modern Driveline mid shift conversion to it as soon as I can convince myself to keep spending more money. I had originaly planned to find some good looking, but low cost wheels from somewhere other than FFR. However, after a long search I discovered there are not a lot of options out there with the right backspacing and the look I wanted. So, I ended up getting some FFR 15" halibrand style wheels. At least I got the look I was after. Not so much on the low cost. My current plans on color are red with black stripes.

My goal is to build a nice cruiser that I can take on a weekend drive and the occasional show.

I got my kit delivered back in June, So I have already made some progress. (Don't be fooled by the thread title though, I am not moving at lightening speed) I thought I would start to put up some pics along the way so if anyone sees something amiss they can let me know before I get to far along.

I will now attempt to post some pictures. (I am not a computer guy, so I say "attempt")

The day it arrived.

The 8.8

The power plant prior to tear down

Post Thanks / Like
    You have the pic technique down. good job. Nice start on your build too.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blitz,

Looks like a great build. Sent you a PM about brakes. Have Fun good luck.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    As I mentioned before I have already made some progress before I started this thread.

I have the front suspension on.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...1&d=1487666891

I painted the foot box panels and panels that will be visible in engine compartment with some of Eastwood's ceramic chasis paint.

Rebuilt rear brakes and have the rear suspension in.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I also made a body buck on wheels. (Thought I could roll it in and out of the shop for some of the messy body work)

Steering rack is in.

Pedal box, master cylinders, and reservoir is in.

Brake lines are in. (May not win any awards for tube bending) I ended up buying several different lengths to cut down on the number of bends I had to make. The rear hard lines I bought pre bent for the 8.8 rear end.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to drill a hole in the old bracket with the Rear end and bolt my new braided hose to it.

More brake line pics.

I got some panels mounted.

I got my hardware for Jeff K's quick jack mounting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had some issues.
    I was lucky enough to receive some of the wildwood master cylinders that were sent out without the O-rings where the reservoir connection fitting goes on top. (I might still be trying to figure out why they were leaking if I had not seen that issue mentioned on this forum) Got some O-rings. Problem solved.

I got the plastic guard that goes on the bottom of the fuel tank (as the manual suggested) and it seems the straps that came with it are not long enough to reach the mounting bracket with the supplied FFR bolts. So I went out and got some bolts that were an inch longer. The bolts were now long enough, but I got hex head bolts. Well, now there is not enough room on the mounting bracket to get a wrench or socket on the bolt or nut. (pic of bracket)

I put in an order with McMaster-Carr for a 3" bolt with the hex key head. I think that will solve that problem.

I have a manual steering rack from FFR and their build video on youtube says it is 5 turns from lock to lock. Well, I count 3 on mine from lock to lock and when I go half way the steering wheel ends up a quarter turn from being straight. (Sorry,I don't have a picture of it.) I am still scratching my head on that one and welcome any suggestions.

That's it for now. I'm about caught up with what I have done already. I'll put up some more pictures as I go along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just jamb a beefy flat blade screwdriver between the nut and the mounting bracket. If you can jamb the nut while tightening the bolt, you can probably get it tight enough. However, I was counseled that whenever possible I should install bolts head up, nut down. That way if the nut comes off, the bolt will remain, at least for a while. Hope this helps.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Blitz, Take and bend that flange down straight and the straps will fit better. My car came with allen head bolts, but after I did a tank strap mod one was not long enough. the local ace hardware store had the bolts need. you might what to try there first then you don't have to wait on the mail.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know if you have the drum backing plates swapped or just the wrong brake shoe on the front. The short shoe goes toward the front of the car. On the gas tank strap front bolt, I bought a couple of the fender clip nuts. Do not know the proper name, but they have a clothes pin shape with a threaded throat on one side. I did have to grind it down to fit into the slot. I used the allen head bolt, but will not have to hold the nut, either installing or removing the bolt and strap.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Like You Are Off To A Great Start!

Welcome to the family & have a great build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for lookin in all. I owe a Thanks to Railroad. Yes, the brake shoes are on backwards. I used some pictures I took prior to taking it apart for reference. (It is upside down in the before picture. On the driver side) (rebuild picture is passenger side with shoes backwards)

I got out the Haynes manual and started searching the ol inter webs, and sure enough I had them backwards. (I guess the prior owner had them on backwards for some reason. May not have had someone like railroad to give them a look.) So I spent several hours getting them off and back on the correct side. When I built them the first time I did it while the axles were out. This time with the axles in place. Lord have mercy!!! I don't have fat fingers or anything, but what a pain. It might be worth a disk brake swap just to avoid that mess again. Anyway, they are on properly now. If anybody else out there chooses to stay in the stone age with me and rear drums. The primary shoe ( has the smaller amount of braking material on it) goes towards the front of the car and the secondary shoe (larger amount of braking material) goes in the back.

Thanks again for looking in. I'll have more pictures when I get some more done.
    Last edited by blitzkreig baja; 02-25-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for an update. My slow progress continues in spite of work, family visits, and the flu.

I got my fuel tank in.http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...1&d=1492554085

I also got my Fuel filter and fuel lines in.http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...1&d=1492554089

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, but my pictures are not showing up. I'll keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, but my pictures are not showing up. I'll keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I know what I was doing wrong.

OK, some pictures of the Fuel tank installed.

The Filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures of the fuel lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the hard lines in as well.

I also got started on some sound deadner/insulation.

I have decided to black out all the chrome on the car and have made a good bit of progress getting it all sanded down and ready for paint. (There is quite a bit more chrome pieces than I thought once I started picking them out and sanding them) I don't have pictures of them. I didn't think many folks would care to see sanded down chrome pieces.

No major issues at this point. I still have to address the steering wheel not being centered when the steering rack is.

I will post more pictures when I get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    As someone else already mentioned, you need to flatten those flanges on the gas tank. You want the flange to fit flat against the plastic bumpers on the frame. Not against the edges as you have now. The tank will fit better and be more secure. It is mentioned in the build manual, but easy to miss.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for lookin in edwardb. I will add that to the list of things to do.

P.S. Your build threads are some of my favorites. Thanks for posting them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig baja View Post
    Thanks for lookin in edwardb. I will add that to the list of things to do.

P.S. Your build threads are some of my favorites. Thanks for posting them.
    Cool. Thanks and you're welcome.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.