Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ff gt40?

Post Thanks / Like

Ff gt40?

Was talking to a guy (a gearhead) and he said he had recently ridden in a friend's GT40 and that it was a Factory Five car. I told him that I didn't think FF ever offered a GT40 kit. A search of the web confirms it, but I guess anything is possible. Did FF ever offer the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not in the known world. Would be awesome if they would offer THEIR take on a modern GT40. I suspect the GTM is NOT their take on a modern GT40 given its Chevy powertrain, but it is a good start for one. I like to see FFR's take next to the 2 modern Ford GTs.

Post Thanks / Like
    My last name isn't Smith and I don't work for FFR, but I think I'm safe in saying that FFR never offered, nor will it ever offer, a GT40 kit.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    These replies agree with what I read. The GT40 was not consistent with FF's philosophy of offering cars that builders could assemble from donor cars, as the 40's components were mostly unique to it and not readily available to the public. Also, there was apparently the threat of lawsuits by Ford that precluded moving the project forward. The info I base this on dates from 2008. I know Superformance offers the 40, but it's licensed and sanctioned by whoever has the rights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me, I've looked for a GT40 replica - there aren't any in the FF price range. Even in the heady GTD days (90-95) they were $100k cars.. often more. And that was when $2 = 1 pound sterling

P.s I'm English, didn't move here until '98 If I'm ever rich, the '40 is still my dream car. #Shouldneverhavesoldmine

Post Thanks / Like
    He may believe the GTM is the FF version of the GT40. It is similar, and I wonder if FFR did design it to fill that need, but not an exact copy, to avoid some of the hassles with Ford, etc..
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    He may believe the GTM is the FF version of the GT40. It is similar, and I wonder if FFR did design it to fill that need, but not an exact copy, to avoid some of the hassles with Ford, etc..
    I think that is likely the answer. He was in a GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The story goes that the GTM was originally conceived and designed to be a GT40 replica but during development the Shelby lawsuit over the roadster began so as to not open that can of worms again it was reshaped into what we see now.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If the GTM looks like any car at all, it resembles a car that Warren Mosler built a few years back. A race car that you could drive on the street!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    At one time FFR contemplated offering a GT40 kit. They even bought a CAV GT40. But then the Shelby lawsuit came about. And Ford enjoined in the case. One of their agreements in settling the case was to not build a GT40 (Ford does not own the name GT40, Safir Engineering does). FFR then went with the GTM

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you folks are correct; he rode in a GTM and was thinking GT something. I'll pass this along the next time I see him. Thanks all.