Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anyone successfully incorporated C5 active handling?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone successfully incorporated C5 active handling?

Has anyone been able to successfully do this? Including the electronic brake control module, the steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, etc? I think I'm going to try to do this unless it is not recommended.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I'd stay away from using active handling or airbag systems from another vehicle. I've seen factory traction control and abs braking used but I'm not a fan of either of them. mikespms on the other forum has the most factory corvette systems incorporated in a GTM build that I've seen.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 02-24-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. I do plan on using the Corvette ABS system definitely. It won't take much more work to install the accelerometer / yaw sensor /steering angle sensor. I like the idea of the system being able to specifically brake at one corner to effect the yaw rate. I'm also currently planning on an open differential, would the brake control module help modulate wheel spin?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a heads up, but most people that track their cars regularly have a method to disable the traction control and dynamic handling features as, under race track conditions, the systems tend to be over used to the point that there are problems with the brakes. In other words, the brakes are used so much that they can fail. There are racing specific setups that can be user tuned that are used on the race tracks, but the Corvette and Mustang stock setups are notorious for creating problems on the race track. These are more occasional use, street minded type systems. In other words, more of "save my ***, nanny device" as opposed to a performance enhancement device that should be constantly utilized.
    Last edited by crash; 02-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't want the system and here is why:

 If you have any friends with C-5 or C-6 Corvettes, then please share this information with them.
     If you are attempting to slide or drift your C-5 or C-6 Corvette around a bit you WILL be surprised when your car goes out of control.
     The car literally grabs the brakes on an individual wheel or wheels in an attempt to straighten things out.
     It is why my brother sold his C-5 that his wife gave him for his 50th birthday and went on the hunt for the T/A that he bought.

C-5 Corvette Active Handling System Video:
    https://youtu.be/LWNR-tvvwFo

This system is used on the C-5 & C-6 platforms
    https://youtu.be/m5g4KIdGLfM
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I really would like to keep the abs/traction control. Can these be kept independently?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked into this further, I think I am going to install this. The Corvette guys unplug the steering position sensor when they track their cars, this disables the active handling but keeps the traction control and abs intact. Would be easy to place a toggle switch on the dash for this.
    Last edited by beeman; 02-26-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3