Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Billet Shifter K tuned issues

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Billet Shifter K tuned issues

I'm not sure if I have something wrong but my dad and I got the shifter installed last night and it seems to be pretty poor performing. Shift pattern is difficult even after adjustment. throw in insanely short.

Mock Up

Rear End Connections

I have a dune buggy that shifts way better and it shifts using a ghetto tube sliding back and forth/turning. I'm just kinda bummed because I expected more?

Does the shifting get better with a warmed up trans(2008WRX)?

Will Craig's trans mod pieces help?

I'm just thinking that miss shifts are going to be so frequent and dangerous in traffic. I did cut the shifter shaft down about 1.25" because it was very high.

Post Thanks / Like
    The difficulty in shifting is probably coming from the really long FFR cables and the 180 degree bend. Does the shifter feel sloppy and difficult to find the gear? The only way I've heard to get around this is to have the cables coming out of the back of the shifter (not front) and reduce their length. Wayne offers his version of a k-tuned shifter that accomplishes this. Many others (including myself) have installed an mr2 shifter and gotten shorter cables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig's part will help. Unfortunately when you cut down the shift arm, you cut down your leverage and substantially shortened the throw at the same time, exacerbating the problem you are experiencing. I did the same and ended up adding a short extension back in.

Post Thanks / Like
    The shifter is a POS, the screws come loose on the shifter mechanism and the bolt that holds the shift shaft. This not a quality product (at least for 818 application). The gears are hard to find, spent many hours trying to adjust the linkage, still a POS
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone offer an all new mr2 style shifter? All I find on eBay is rusty old pieces or short shift kits that seem to require the old shifter as well. It's my understanding that the k-tuned rear facing cables shifter that Wayne sells won't work with Craig's linkage. I've read the mr2 shifter thread awhile back, but it was more of an idea thread with tidbits of success, I believe a lot of the info is getting lost in build threads.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Does anyone offer an all new mr2 style shifter? All I find on eBay is rusty old pieces or short shift kits that seem to require the old shifter as well. It's my understanding that the k-tuned rear facing cables shifter that Wayne sells won't work with Craig's linkage. I've read the mr2 shifter thread awhile back, but it was more of an idea thread with tidbits of success, I believe a lot of the info is getting lost in build threads.
    Hi Adam,
    I used the guts out of an MR2 shifter with rear exit cables.
    We are very happy with the feel and operation. It is not as good as the donor application, but it is close.
    Bob

mr2.jpg mr2parts.jpg side_shifter.jpg
    Edit: Added a picture of my side shifter. I used 7ft teleflex extreme cables similar to RM1sepex. With no gas tank, my cable route around the left side of the engine.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-25-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My shifter uses much shorter cables and is more precise. It has a longer throw for a better feel.
    http://www.verycoolparts.com/shifter.htm
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, the used Mr2 shifter can be rusty.... really doesn't matter. They are easy to take apart, clean, paint, whatever. You don't even need to use the top plate which is usually what looks most rusty. Like Bob, I did a custom setup both on the Mr2 shifter end, and on the linkage end. You could probably do the same thing only using Craig's linkage since it will work just as well as mine (probably better since he uses a ball bearing on the bell-crank).

I'm very happy with the results of my setup. Throws are adjustable and just to my liking. Nice and smooth too. Not as good as a linkage shifter though, but that's just not an option.

All info is in my build thread starting with this post: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post223849

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Adam, I bought a used MR@ shifter on eBay for $40, added short shift cables for $160, and then Craigs shift mechanism. The shift is very positive, and feels like a mechanical trans shift, not cables. I am extremely happy with it. You are right, this is probably buried in the build threads. I have been travelling a lot, so I haven't been posting. Send me a PM if you have any questions, and I can shoot you some pics. When/if I get time to get caught up I will go back and check to see if I posted enough pics.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also very pleased with my MR2 shifter,rear exit and 7 foot teleflex extreme cables are key. I made my own bell crank mechanism. It isn't as pretty as Craig's but it works great. I had obtained the FFR optional shifter, had to shim the block to get rid of slop and the front cable system sucked. I sold mine... You could tighten it up and rotate it 180 use rear facing cables, you would need to do your own bell crank tho... The MR2 piece works better and is cheaper too.
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 03-12-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: cables were IDed as 8 ft
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a mr2 and some 1/2" aluminum off eBay. Well give it a shot next Saturday. Such a shame, the FFR billet shifter is a beauty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carrera1984 View Post
    I ordered a mr2 and some 1/2" aluminum off eBay. Well give it a shot next Saturday. Such a shame, the FFR billet shifter is a beauty.
    I totally agree that it is a beauty, I would try and find a way to make it work and not waste the $$$ you already spent.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have missed this in the previous threads but where do you order the shorter cables from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I totally agree that it is a beauty, I would try and find a way to make it work and not waste the $$$ you already spent.
    Bob
    sell it, IIRC I got $350 for mine Cables are avail with simple search, depends how you want them mounted. Mine clamp on both ends IIRC Craig's setup uses bulkhead attachment like the original FFR cables,.

You want Teleflex Xtreme with 1/4-28 threads
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    sell it, IIRC I got $350 for mine Cables are avail with simple search, depends how you want them mounted. Mine clamp on both ends IIRC Craig's setup uses bulkhead attachment like the original FFR cables,.

Where do you recommend selling it? I googled and think it works for accords and TSX of certain years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post

Okay perfect I will do some searching. I was originally looking locally in Edmonton, Alberta but it looks like I will be going online from the states now

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same K-tuned shifter and Craig's ZeroDB bellcrank......maybe there is a way to change Craig's left-right shift bellcrank? (dont need to reverse direction of front/rear motion like I initially thought).

I found this in quick web search, it is from http://navtekindia.com/push_pull.html

cable reverse.jpg
    Last edited by ben1272; 02-27-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: light dawns....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    I may have missed this in the previous threads but where do you order the shorter cables from?
    I ordered mine from this site: https://www.cccables.com/
    part number: 100-04222-0082

They will make you custom length cables (mine were 82") for $81 shipped (each).

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, the best setup is the MR2 shifter (or any shifter with rear exit cables) and a bell crank that eliminates the side entry cable (and another bend). The biggest problem with FFR's setup is the length of cable and the number of bends. There is some slop inside the cable (there has to be or it will bind) and the total slop increases with length. When the cable bends and you switch directions the internal cable pushes to the opposite side of the housing before sliding. All of this adds up to a vague feeling.

MR2 Shifter:
    Good info here: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...42-MR2-Shifter
    Rust doesn't matter. As others said, the top plate get chucked. All you really need is the cup, the plastic piece in the cut, the spring, bell crank, and the lever. Get a piece of 1/4" aluminum and make a new plate to mount the cables and the guts of the MR2 shifter. I priced out making new ones once and it would have been expensive due to the cost of the OEM toyota pieces needed.

Cables:
    I'm using these cables:
    http://www.boatersland.com/telccx43008.html

The 7' were about 1" too short, but they worked well for Bill (his shifter is in a slightly different spot). The 7' cables were purchased elsewhere (forget where) and had a 5 week lead time.

Bulkhead mount on the rear, clamp mount on the front. I believe they can be used with these strap clamps from McMaster, P/N 3125K12
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so our shifter is stupid perfect, but also stupid expensive. IMG_0740.JPG
    Adjustable in height, side throw and fore/aft you can tune the heck out of it, BUT, you will need to make one of these as well to reverse the side throw, as it is meant for a front wheel drive RSX. IMG_0741.JPG

Just the shifter is over $400, but very nice piece. Add the trans mount adapter for at least another $300 in time and material, Custom cables and shift knob/throw limiters and you have $1000 in gear changing awsomness.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    OK, so our shifter is stupid perfect, but also stupid expensive. IMG_0740.JPG
    Adjustable in height, side throw and fore/aft you can tune the heck out of it, BUT, you will need to make one of these as well to reverse the side throw, as it is meant for a front wheel drive RSX. IMG_0741.JPG

Just the shifter is over $400, but very nice piece. Add the trans mount adapter for at least another $300 in time and material, Custom cables and shift knob/throw limiters and you have $1000 in gear changing awsomness.

Mine has all of that with out the need for the side reverser and bolts in. $650 with cables and brackets
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carrera1984 View Post
    Where do you recommend selling it? I googled and think it works for accords and TSX of certain years?
    I sold it to someone on this forum. I'm using the cheap sloppy cables to remotely operate the blast gate on the outside air intake of my Finnish Contraflow heater... www.Mainewoodheat.com (mine weighs 8000 lbs)

I don't have $250 in my MR2 setup including the new cables, brass bushings, bell crank etc. I used 7 foot teleflex xtreme cables with the clamp attachments at both ends. It was fabbed in my garage using a band saw, drill press, grinder and file.
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 03-12-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: was 8 ft cables vs 7
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen it Wayne, awesome piece! Ours has a few more bells and whistles for racing that really are not needed for street use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope everyone is following this thread too... same real subject

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Shift-Linkage
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone gone with the smaller diameter cable? The Teleflex TFXtreme CCV633 #10-32 threaded ends instead of the Teleflex TFXtreme 4300 1/4-28 threaded ends? Teleflex indicates that the smaller of the two can handle 120lbs of force vs the 230lbs of force for 4300 series. I believe 120lbs of force would be enough to 5mt but If anyone knows for sure or has any suggestions that would be appreciated. I am trying to reduce the cost for the entire shifter with a bell crank and I can't seem to find a decent price on the 4300 series in canada, so far I have been quote $160 CAD per each cable when I can get the CCV633 extreme for $70 each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    Has anyone gone with the smaller diameter cable? The Teleflex TFXtreme CCV633 #10-32 threaded ends instead of the Teleflex TFXtreme 4300 1/4-28 threaded ends? Teleflex indicates that the smaller of the two can handle 120lbs of force vs the 230lbs of force for 4300 series. I believe 120lbs of force would be enough to 5mt but If anyone knows for sure or has any suggestions that would be appreciated. I am trying to reduce the cost for the entire shifter with a bell crank and I can't seem to find a decent price on the 4300 series in canada, so far I have been quote $160 CAD per each cable when I can get the CCV633 extreme for $70 each.
    You have to remember that the force on the handle get amplified 2 or 3 times because of leverage. IMHO, I think the size of the cable is important for good shifter feel. I would not skimp on the size of the cable.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Bob, as a Mechanical Engineer I'd also rely on the auto mfgs and they use the larger cables in MR2 and other cars with cable shifter setups.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered cables from steinjager.com

http://steinjager.com/shop/index.php...oduct_id=15510

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome pricing, I imagine w shipping to Canada still very reasonable. My cables have clamp ends on both ends and didn't include the rod end and ball end. easy to make the shifter components to utilize the bulkhead cables.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Best price I found for custom length cable including the bulk head ends AND rod ends $49 USD per cable.

http://midwestcontrol.com/
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRP View Post
    I ordered cables from steinjager.com

http://steinjager.com/shop/index.php...oduct_id=15510
    I agree to $48 is a great price.
    At that price I doubt they are Teleflex (SeaStar Solutions).
    I've used Teleflex in my boats (Steering and shifter) for the last 40 years. Both OEM and Replacements.
    Let us know about the quality of these cables.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a really good deal. The cables from steinjager come to $160 with shipping which is the best deal yet so if I go through with this shifter I will likely chose those, thanks for the input everyone