Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions on picking up unfinished coupe kits

Post Thanks / Like

Questions on picking up unfinished coupe kits

I am looking at an unfinished (older version) kit and was wondering how do you deal with the MSO and getting the owners name changed? I am not sure if it works like transferring the title on a car already registered. Also, are there big differences in the older versions of the coupe compared to the newer ones? I have done some research and have found some stuff but was wondering from those who have built the earlier ones the big issues that came up. Any general advice on inspecting the kit would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought an unfinished roadster kit from R.I. and brought it to Fl. I could not do anything with the MSO with the original owners name on it. The original owner had to apply electronically for a Fl. title and I had to get a power of attorney from him for title work only. Then I had to sign off for him and transfer the new electronic title to myself. A lot of work and thankfully the original owner was patient and willing to work with me. Not sure how another state does it but this was my adventure. Not sure if I would want to do it again like that. Do some research first. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that was going to be an issue. I will have to research on my end to see what my state requires.

Post Thanks / Like
    The certificate of origin will have the original purchaser's name and Factory Five will not issue a new one with a different name. They will not get into the business of ownership other than who purchased the first time. Completely understandable IMO. The certificate of origin has signature transfer blocks, but those (as indicated on the form) are for licensed dealers only. Nothing you can do there.

You need to have a fully executed, signed, and (ideally) notarized bill of sale explaining the ownership transfer. These partial builds are bought/sold all the time, and most of the time it's OK. But you need to check with you local state office to see if a bill of sale along with the former owner's certificate of origin is adequate. I've done this twice in the state of Michigan. First time was no problem. Second time was a big problem. Enough so I won't be doing it again as long as I live in this state. But I believe that's the exception rather than the rule based on other threads on this topic.

The other option, which sounds like was discussed, is to get it titled in the name of the original owner and then do a title transfer. That's typically very straightforward and a common consumer transaction. But titling laws vary from state to state. In Michigan, I can't title anything other than a completed and safety inspected build. Pretty hard if you're buying a chassis, body, and boxes of parts. Other states allow a title in an earlier form, so depending on what you're buying, could be an option. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-26-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of great info, thank you. I will contact the local guy that handles this stuff Monday and see what he says and what he requires to make the car legal.