Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ford Explorer Motor and Accessories fit fine!

Post Thanks / Like

Ford Explorer Motor and Accessories fit fine!

Just an FYI for anybody else considering going this route. An Explorer 302 and it's accessories look to clear with plenty of room.
    I bought that little 302 about 2 years ago for a song. I thought about piecing together Fox or SN95 accessories... mainly because I didn't know if the explorer brackets and stuff would fit inside the engine bay. I was worried about that lower idler pulley, and the height of the PS pump and alternator. In the end, I decided to just do it as is.. and if I had to change it all .. so be it. Today.. dropped in the motor and trans for the first time. And.. to my pleasant surprise... plenty of room. I'm still not sure about the PS reservoir, but the rest has plenty of room. It's worth also noting, I'm using solid motor mounts that have a 3/4" drop over stock. Also.. there is a 1/2" spacer between the intake and carb.

IMG_20170225_135558625_595.jpg IMG_20170225_135609765_595.jpg s-l1600.jpg IMG_20170225_134809434_595.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I am coverting my explorer motor to carb and switching over to fox timing cover, etc. I got a new harmonic balancer. Did you remove the trigger wheel? Do you have the correct balancer for the flywheel? Just making sure I can put everything together

Post Thanks / Like
    I've kept everything explorer. Same explorer pully/balancer combo and everything. I left the trigger wheel on.. I didn't see any harm in leaving it. I've not yet bought a flywheel, but my research has shown that the explorer setup uses the exact same 50oz imabalance setup that the late model mustang does. so.. I'm pretty sure she'll be good-to-go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response. I was pretty set on going with a mechanical fuel pump which is why I am making the change. keep me posted on the first start!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    I've kept everything explorer. Same explorer pully/balancer combo and everything. I left the trigger wheel on.. I didn't see any harm in leaving it. I've not yet bought a flywheel, but my research has shown that the explorer setup uses the exact same 50oz imabalance setup that the late model mustang does. so.. I'm pretty sure she'll be good-to-go.
    Don't forget the pilot bearing.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That's interesting. I too am using an engine from an explorer. I plan to delete the AC, power steering, and smog pump though. I already sold the front dressing parts and bought foxbody parts to replace the ones I will be using. Good to know for my next build though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I was pretty set on going with a mechanical fuel pump which is why I am making the change. keep me posted on the first start!
    Ah.. Yeah... I was back and forth on the pump too. I'm keeping the mustang in tank pump, and going to run a holley 12-803bp, or similar, regulator. Hopefully first start will be in the next month or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it fits fine. Mine has no issues, only fit issue is that the A/C compressor and the steering shaft want to occupy the same space. You could fix this by using another heim joint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know what you are doing for exhaust but if you are using flipped factory headers or matching aftermarket headers you will most likely need to do some trimming for those headers to clear those brackets. I am using the factory brackets and BBK headers and needed to trim both the mounts for the AC compressor and the complete bottom of the passenger side bracket where smog pump mounts
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using BBK's, no trimming was needed, no smog pump, maybe mine was a different year?

IMG_3279.JPG
    Last edited by 6t8dart; 02-27-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I knew there had to be more of us running full explorer accessories. 6t8dart, does your PS reservoir clear your hood?

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like it should, but the bracket can easily be re-drilled to mount a little lower. I dont have the body on yet, so Im not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah... I'm in the same boat. I think it'll clear, but it looks really close.