FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Did I screw up?

Post Thanks / Like

Did I screw up?

Here are pictures of my UCA. Should the welded side be the same on both sides? Did I mess up the installation on one side?

Passenger side

Driver's side

I really hate this build. I really do

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the manual, my passenger side is the wrong config. Looks like disassembly time and the need to purchase the correct one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your pictures are correct. The welded isn't both back or both front. They are staggered. Same part number on each side, you need to make sure the shoulder is angled correctly for the ball joint, which it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks the same as mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have my manual with me and my car is 3600 kilometres away, but it looks like the UCA is bolted in the wrong location. They should be bolted using the holes on the vertical steel not the horizontal holes as you have. If memory serves some right, those holes are for stock Mustang suspension parts.
    I'm sure the "guru" will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    I don't have my manual with me and my car is 3600 kilometres away, but it looks like the UCA is bolted in the wrong location. They should be bolted using the holes on the vertical steel not the horizontal holes as you have. If memory serves some right, those holes are for stock Mustang suspension parts.
    I checked the manual. They're correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    If you are running the FFR supplied spindles you need to mount the UCA on the side, if you are running the mustang donor spindles with the adapter as 2FAST4U is, you need to bolt the UCA on the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,
    Can't tell from your photos but I believe you have angled ball joint plates like this, where the bung the joint screws into angles outward:

If so you are good to go; it isn't possible to have the welded end the same on both sides with this configuration (if you have an early Mk4 version of the manual it was written for the zero degree ball joint plates which were used for the first year or so of Mk4 production before the change was made). Note that the photo I attached is with FFR spindles which bolt to the vertical surface unlike your donor spindles that mount on the horizontal plate.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. Yes, I have the angled ball joints. My main problem now is I can't get any negative camber with the 4" adjusting sleeves on the UCA. I was planning on cutting them down on my lather, but the inserts are too long and will not give me the needed adjustment.

I have custom LCA with hiem joints. Looks like I'll remove the frame mounting bolts and extend the LCA 1" so I can get negative camber

Post Thanks / Like
    I took off 3/16" or so off each end of the coupling nuts (the rearward ones) and about 1/8" or so off each of the threaded pivot mounts (again, the rearward ones.) Did most of the cuts with a band saw. The welded one was a but tough, but got it done while it was mounted on the car with a reciprocating cutoff saw. That gave me enough room to set the camber and caster fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 02-25-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill I've had to cut down the sleeves as well as the male internal stubs to get higher positive caster on power steering equipped roadsters. Just be conscious of keeping sufficient thread engagement when you do so---my rule of thumb is 1.5 times the diameter (for example, .75" of engagement on a 1/2" thread. Kind of need to get things mocked up and roughly aligned with the body on...if you set the bottom out you might find that the tire & wheel wind up too far out, or vice-versa if you shorten the uppers.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boat. I like that approach and will look into it further

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    If you are running the FFR supplied spindles you need to mount the UCA on the side, if you are running the mustang donor spindles with the adapter as 2FAST4U is, you need to bolt the UCA on the top.
    Good job

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful how much you lengthen the LCAs. You don't want the tires hitting the inside of the fender flare.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    Exactly..I'm using the FFR spindle adapter with a Fox Mustang spindle, on my Mk3.1, and the UCA mount is bolted on from the top, like Bill's is. Jeff's picture shows it bolted on from the side using the FFR provided spindle.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010