FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Pan Options

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Pan Options

In the midst of my build using a 302 with stock oil pan. I have the Speedhut gauge set and added an oil temperature gauge. Now am looking for a place to install the sensor unit. On a related thought, when the car is finished I would like to use it occasionally for autocross, if nothing more as a learning experience.

I am wondering if I can, or should, try killing two birds with one stone by installing an aftermarket oil pan with baffles, etc, and which includes an oil temperature port.

Question then is - which aftermarket pan should I consider ? There are several out there by Canton, Ford Perf., Milodon, etc. some with front or rear sump placement.

- Any recommendations ? Anything to avoid ?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    First, you likely need to replace the stock oil pan regardless. Have you installed the engine in the frame yet? Likely you'll find it extends below the 4-inch frame tubes, which is a big no-no. The normal recommendation is a low profile pan no deeper than 7.5 inches. I'm not sure front or rear sump matters to be honest, as long as it's properly baffled. Either will fit in these cars. The one I have experience with is a Moroso 20509. It is internally baffled and has a bung for the oil temp sensor. I know it works fine. Have it on #7750. But there are other choices. Most, like me, will recommend the one(s) they have experience with.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Canton Racing Products oil pans if you plan to run some autocross events. They make an 8-qt specific for Cobra kit cars but also have a wide variety of pans that should suit your needs. Good designs and quality products -- they've catered to the various racing communities for years. I get mine from Summit Racing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Canton pan. Mine is 7 qts and has baffles, a windage tray, and bung for the oil temp sender. Very happy with the quality and fit.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to lean that way. Still doing some research and will watch the oil pan depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics of my pan out of the car and in....

Notice that it does not hang below the front crossmember of the chassis....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the look of the Aviaid (or Armando) pan, definitely THE classic!

George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like

MOROSO 8qt. on the COYOTE I would get a similar custom fabricated pan for the 302, not a modified stock pan. Pans are baffled, shallow (tuck up in the frame), with depth & temperature sender bungs.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GThompson View Post
    I like the look of the Aviaid (or Armando) pan, definitely THE classic!

Agree here. Especially if you want a more original small block look. The fact that it is a first class pan is a bonus.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We sell the Canton Racing Low profile pan. 15-63S Has the extra oil temp bung. also more narrow. Can purchase through our parts division website
    https://www.tdmotion.com/product/302-oil-pan-upgrade/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for all your input and helping me spend my money .

There are a lot of great products out there and I went back-and-forth many (many) times before deciding on the road race pan from Mark, at Breeze. I wanted more than a stock pan (plus ground clearance). Now when I finally get out in some twisties I will feel better knowing that oil will be there for the engine.

Cheers-

Tom