BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RE FFR Soft Top

Post Thanks / Like

RE FFR Soft Top

This question is for the owners that have the 'modified' soft top, zip out rear and quarter windows.

Did you purchase all through FFR or order from FFR then contact Rod Tops to modify and pay additional

or did you order directly from Rod Tops?

I know this is a open car but I need some sun protection for my increasing bald dome.

Thank you in advance for your time

Cecil
    MKIV 8851 Complete LS3 376/480 4L70e Auto 2015 IRS 15" Wheels Rear Exhaust

Ordered 2/25/16 Delivered 3/26/16 Still building 1/1/22

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lad,

I believe the only way to order is directly through FFR. Once you place your order, you will receive an order reference number. Then you contact Rod tops to add the zip out's etc in reference to your order number. Rod Tops are very professional and will turn your order around quickly so you will need to contact then as soon as you have your order reference number form FFR. The premium to is fantastic and very well designed. You will be happy with the enhanced creature comfort - it completly changes the driving experiece.

Good luck
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like a good place to throw out a question I have. Are the corner windows and zip out windows an additional cost, or are they included with the FFR purchase price? If optional what is the ballpark cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi back at you Jester

Thank you for the quick reply. I have heard nothing but good remarks on both forums about the FFR (Rod Tops)
    soft top. Looks time to call and spend money on the 'money pit' but I will put it to good use.

To bobl
    I have no idea what the additional cost is, but like most items on my project it will cost what it costs. Unless
    someone reports first I will post my extra cost unless it is a trade secret.

Just means less for 'the batman' for paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Seems like a good place to throw out a question I have. Are the corner windows and zip out windows an additional cost, or are they included with the FFR purchase price? If optional what is the ballpark cost?
    They are an additional cost.

I think I paid an extra $150.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the time from order to delivery?

Thanks,

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    carlewms
    I just got off the phone with FFR and was told my top will take 3 to 5 weeks. Have not received reference
    number yet so do not know current extra cost. I plan on quarter and rear zip out window and maybe color change from black.

Post Thanks / Like
    to any interested builders

Just contacted Rod Tops with my changes. Top will be ready by 2nd week of April or 6 weeks.
    The cost is $150 for each change item. For me that is $450 extra for quarter window zip out rear
    and changing color to tan/tan.

Post Thanks / Like
    So to make sure I understand, the side windows are included with the top. Quarter windows would add about $150 to the price? Correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Side windows and storage bags are included.

Quarter windows, Zip down rear window, and color changes are options.

Here is how you do it:
    1. Order from FFR.
    2. Get your invoice number from FFR. This should be the same or next day at the most.
    3. Call Rod Tops, give them the invoice number, and tell them what options you want.
    4. Get brave, and drill a couple holes in your car.

One tip for the zip down rear window. When you roll it down, roll a big microfiber towel into it, so that the towel is sitting on your paint. If not, the plastic will vibrate and scratch your paint where it touches.

The top is a really nice piece. My wife basically won't go in the car without the top on. I am in Florida, so use it for sun protection. It has also saved me from rain a few times including a last minute hurricane move to a friend house.

Post Thanks / Like
    IM interested in this top as well, the options look like a great way to go. I'll be following this post.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on my APE hardtop experience I can't recommend strongly enough the zip out rear window. I never take my top off. The side and rear windows are temp dependent. W/ all the windows gone it is really nice being in the shade and the wind beating on the side of your head is reduced to about 40% strength. Footbox fresh air vents and a top w/o windows makes for reasonable comfort even at 90 deg as long as you are moving.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    CraigS

Just to let you know I dream of summer temps in the 90s. Normal summer temps here have 3 digits.

Regarding the rear window. I know I said 'zip out' but I think remembering reading the window might just zip down only.
    Doesn't matter that much to me as CraigS says, any opening in rear will help with the air flow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pictures of the modified top? I would like to see the windows and zipper window.
    Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

MKII 4393 Tangerine Pearl with white stripes. I try to change something every year because I believe a real hotrod is never done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    Any pictures of the modified top? I would like to see the windows and zipper window.
    X2!

Post Thanks / Like
    pics located in the following link: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...emium+soft+top
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I just picked up my kit and called RodTops and added the zip out rear and quarter windows; since I did both additions at the same time it only costs $200 vice $300 ($150 for each)….the extra time required was only a couple of weeks from when it was originally anticipated…..