Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What Axles are needed for 00-04 8.8

Post Thanks / Like

What Axles are needed for 00-04 8.8

I'm currently waiting on my kit delivery in a couple of months and have started gathering the needed components to start assembling the running gear. Ive learned the axles from a 2000 through 2004 Mustang GT are too wide for the Roadster, what are are some suppliers and the correct Axles?

Post Thanks / Like
    What width tires and wheels are you planning to run? With current set up you can go with 245 width. You may be able to get a little more with shorter axles and no abs ring. For 315 width, you will need to shorten or replace rear housing, and shorter axles. There's a 3" difference between what you have and the standard set up. I'd look for a fox width rear end to swap out with. Richard Oben at North Racecars can give you all the details.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's 3 length of axles:
    2003 30.688"
    1995 29.937"
    1993 29.187"
    you can fit a 1995 axle, without ABS ring, in your housing using an offset brake bracket. You may want 45mm offset wheels to fit 315 tires. FFR 17x10.5 wheels have 27mm offset.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to use drivers side axle from 1984 Ford Ranger pick-ups. I used them in a '93 8.8.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the 15"Vintage Halibrands Replica wheels and Wanted to use the 2000 through 2004 8.8 rear end. Do i need to change the rear end year?

What gives the best results in function and performance when using the 15" Halibrands?

Thank you guys for your time and responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the info I have saved
    The Fox flange to flange is 59.25 but the housing itself is less.

'94-'98 is about 1 1/2" wider flange to flange but the housing width is the same as Fox. Using Fox width axles will make it 59.25 F-F.

1999 and up are wider still with a wider housing. They can not be brought to Fox width without cutting and narrowing the housing.

So yes you need an older rear housing and axles.
    From FFR parts listing for the Halibrand wheels:

Axle Applications:
    1979-1993 width Ford 8.8" solid axle
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it, thanks! Will be using a Fox body Mustang rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if there is some one in your area or not.. But around here you could get your axle shortened and new axles- fox length - for about $700

You may want to look into that.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are doing the 3-link you might want to consider waiting until you have received your kit before rebuilding the rear axle. It would be best to fit and weld the "banana bracket" to the axle before a rebuild. Easier that way and you don't mess up all that nice fresh paint. Just my $0.02 worth
    John S.

Post Thanks / Like
    All good advice
    I believe the 1994 GT 8.8 rear axle is the same width. So I'll use that and change the axles, this way I can use the rear disc breaks. My rear suspension option will be the upgraded coilovers.

Drive on!