Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Detailed Drawings of Bell Crank Shift Linkage

Post Thanks / Like

Detailed Drawings of Bell Crank Shift Linkage

Does anyone have detailed drawings of the bell crank shift linkage they could share.
    I just bought an unfinished coupe and it needs work, I want to start with improving the drivability.
    I'm planning on an MR2 shifter change to try to relieve some of the slop in my shifter, can't tell what gear I'm in it's so bad.
    I'd like to change the rear linkage as well and the bell crank set up looks like the trick set up. I've searched for threads on it and found some great pics but nothing on the how.
    I'm a pretty good fabricator but no engineer and I need a clue on where to start

Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be of some help...and not some help. Lol.

Go to www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com/products and you'll see pics of the one I have for sale. It doesn't show dimensions but you can at least look at it and get some ideas. If you're going to make your own, nothing will stop you and researching others solutions is always a good first step.

If you don't want to make your own, I do plan to make another order of parts in a couple of weeks and will have them for sale again.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I'll be of some help...and not some help. Lol.

Go to www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com/products and you'll see pics of the one I have for sale. It doesn't show dimensions but you can at least look at it and get some ideas. If you're going to make your own, nothing will stop you and researching others solutions is always a good first step.

If you don't want to make your own, I do plan to make another order of parts in a couple of weeks and will have them for sale again.
    Thanks for the reply Mechie, please let me know when you have them for sale again, I'd like to get in on a group buy if possible. Cost is always an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Craig, glad to hear you're going to do another order, put me down as
    your first customer !

Thanks , Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Shifter cables http://www.boatersland.com/telccx43307.html

clamps http://www.mcmaster.com/#2695k85/=w3ugmq

At transaxle: 4 inch bell crank for "twist" motion with 3/8 OD, 1/4 ID oilite bushing from Ace, cut stock FFR shift bracket vertical mount for twist, used horizontal for pivot for bell crank, modified the bulkhead tab for in/out replaced tab with two holes for clamp listed above, mounted clamp for twist through bell crank in 2 x 2 x 1/8 aluminum angle mounted under FFR shift bracket. Used 1/4 - 28 female rod ends and FFR provided ball stud ends where appropriate. My FFR bracket is shifted 1.5 inch forward and my shift arm is flipped so the bracket is forward and it is welded to the shift coupler.

At Shifter: Drilled MR2 shifter for 3/8OD, 1/4 ID oilite bushing, shortened as required. Cut off peg from stock twist motion arm, drilled for 1/4 through hole. Used 1/4 -28 female rod ends to connect to cables. Cables clamped with McMaster clamps listed above. Hung shifter ball socket 1/2 under plate to limit up angle on cables.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Thread/page27 post 1043 for pictures etc

note, finding my old posts mine are 7 feet NOT 8" sorry
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan,
    The linkage looks great

Post Thanks / Like
    Hack mechanic work, used as much of original FFR brackets as possible. I have modified the shifter plate a bit and nbow use a machined cover by zero DB motorsports to support the shifter ball ball cup, mine was a wee bit too open allowing the cup to move making shifting a bit sloppy. These are old photos, hidden under my trunk now. If I did it again I'd just retain the MR2 plate and use bulkhead cable ends on the shifter end. I used the clamps as they are cheaper and easier to fabricate with my available resources.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Hack mechanic work, used as much of original FFR brackets as possible. I have modified the shifter plate a bit and nbow use a machined cover by zero DB motorsports to support the shifter ball ball cup, mine was a wee bit too open allowing the cup to move making shifting a bit sloppy. These are old photos, hidden under my trunk now. If I did it again I'd just retain the MR2 plate and use bulkhead cable ends on the shifter end. I used the clamps as they are cheaper and easier to fabricate with my available resources.
    Hack mechanic work or artful repurposing, if it works and is reliable it's golden.
    I'm copying all your posts and will compile them and print them out when I get to the shifter,
    Thanks again Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wageslave View Post
    Hack mechanic work or artful repurposing, if it works and is reliable it's golden.
    I'm copying all your posts and will compile them and print them out when I get to the shifter,
    Thanks again Dan
    If we're giving awards for hacked bell cranks, I need to enter mine.
    side_shifter.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    If we're giving awards for hacked bell cranks, I need to enter mine.
    side_shifter.jpg
    LOL, you are funny Bob.

Here is a pic of mine:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post226082

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, mine would have taken so much longer to develop w/o our group effort, remember how long the posts got so rapidly? Thanks to you, Craig and Andrew and Tamra we all had a great understanding of the linkage requirements very rapidly. Craig's is very pretty, ours are functional. I seem to remember that you and Andrew seemed to have a new revision almost every 3-4 days!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    LOL, you are funny Bob.

Here is a pic of mine:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post226082
    Your's is very nice, worked off what we had done... I'd place it beyond a hack but not as refined as Craig's, I'd add some locknuts on the rod ends though...
    Dan

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan. Yup I was well-served by you pioneers!

I did add lock nuts to the rod ends, ultimately. Helped take out the slop! The threaded tubes and rod ends are not right+left hand threaded though so I can't adjust them without removing a rod end. Not "trick" I know, but honestly once you set it, you can forget it and don't need to adjust it ever again. Saved me from having to buy a left-handed tap.