BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How long did it take you to finish your Cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How long did it take you to finish your Cobra

I was just wondering how long the average person takes to finish or atleast get to go cart stage.....

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me 100 days to first start. Go carted a couple weeks after that. My biggest slow down has been waiting on the paint. Painter will end up having my body 8-9 months. Car is there now for body install. When I get it back I have a couple weeks of work left. Should be 9-10 months total for me. My job allows me lots of free time so I was able to devote a lot of time to the project.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked the 289 kit up Sept 10th 16 direct from FF, and have a complete go cart that is ready to fire, just add gas. Some carpeting is installed. Am now fabricating a compact firewall mounted heater box to finalize the cooling system. Body has not been touched yet, I imagine that will be a few months of tinkering.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my junkyard motor in August and my kit in September. I completely rebuilt the motor, broke it, and then fixed it (90% of how I did this came from youtube and a book from Amazon). I am now at the Go-kart stage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbqYCAAKQQ I don't have any big time-sucks. I don't have kids yet, but I do have a wife who likes me to be around. So most of my work is done on the weekends and after work here and there. I am also not nearly as particular as other folks on the forum. For example, I didn't have my aluminum panels powder coated. Some people are creating pure works of art and seriously, more power to them! My goal is more to make a fun car that I can enjoy, take to track days, and maybe road-trip. Whenever I paint the car - which won't be for a long time - I will do it myself. That works for me, and it has lead to a pretty fast build. I would be shocked if I wasn't registered at the 1 year mark. On the other hand, I have heard of builds going on for over 5 years. One last thing: every thing you want to change from the original recipe will add time. Good luck!
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    About 13 months kit drop off till street legal.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Way Too Long For This Guy!

I'm into the deal for two long years, but had a few financial distractions that caused me to stop a few times.

> Oldest Daughter Got Married
    > Youngest Daughter Finished College
    > Son Is Now A Senior College In A Private Prep School

It would have gone quicker if the funds were available.

Good Luck & I Say Go For It!

Steve

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

PS: Check Out Edwardb's Two Builds Because That Fellow Has Got His Stuff Together!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-28-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Five glorious years from pick-up at FFR to state inspection... then I had to wait through winter to actually drive it on the street.

Loved every minute of it and when it was done it had everything I wanted. Often, people say "they're never done," but other than some de-bugging and tuning the first summer, mine truly was done after those five years.

Or as Steno puts it - half-a-decade.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Five glorious years from pick-up at FFR to state inspection... then I had to wait through winter to actually drive it on the street.

Loved every minute of it and when it was done it had everything I wanted. Often, people say "they're never done," but other than some de-bugging and tuning the first summer, mine truly was done after those five years.

Or as Steno puts it - half-a-decade.
    So There Is Still Hope For Me!

Thanks Gumball!

Post Thanks / Like
    It took me 6 months to build, paint and title my Cobra in 2003. I put 5,000 miles on it in two years and sold it, now I'm back and want to build a '33 Hot Rod.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my kit December 10 and have a running go cart. I still have a few wiring projects to tackle, mainly indicator lights. I should start fitting the body by the end of next week. I figure another 2 months and I should be close to completion. That would make 4-5 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    18 months - 4 hours every Saturday actually working on the build.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is still with painter 9 months later. Grrrr
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was delivered July 2008. I got it on the road in 2014 still driving it in primer. Once I get my Daughter through Grad School in about 1 1/2 years I will get it painted and call it done.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    Mine is still with painter 9 months later. Grrrr

Is It With Whitby Motors?

Making it up as I go. JJ in Cbus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I must be the outlier. I received my kit 10/02/2008 and finally got it inspected and registered on 10/04/2016. Lack of a heated garage for many years and the kids traveling sports schedules definitely drug mine out a lot longer, not to mention hanging out here and the other forum and seeing the latest must do mods... I am still only in gelcoat for now, but I am having way too much fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    8 weeks for the go cart and a total of 16 weeks till finished with paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    14 months from delivery until graduation. I did everything but paint. Built the engine, trans and rearend. All bodywork, primed and blocked ready for paint, and final assembly. I'm retired so I worked on it some just about every day. My brother helped for the first 2 weeks of the build and the rest was just me, with some help to lift the body on and off.

Edit: I had it driving in gelcoat in 10 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit was delivered in October 2013, great progress the first few months but then dealt with the aftermath of losing my wife... retired early, spent 15 months in Costa Rica and now back on it like a madman. Long story short, I've wanted one for so long, the dream didn't die.

No one remembers how long the Sistine Chapel took to build... they only remember the result.

It takes the time it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first one took 18 months. This one will be close to three years

Post Thanks / Like
    I can name that time I three months.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine Christmas of 2015. I got to go-kart stage in November of 2016. Took the car to Jeff Miller for Paint in mid December and he estimated 12 weeks to paint. I am almost there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie.nowonder View Post
    It takes the time it takes.
    I had never worked on a car before in my life. My kit was delivered 19 Jun 15. I did pretty much every sheet metal mod you can think of (upper trunk box, dropped lower trunk box, passenger foot box expansion, under dash filler panels, custom dash). I'm retired, and have been working on it a couple of hours a day for 3-4 days per week 9-10 months per year. I should be go-karting at the 2 year point.

I hate all you competent guys...KIDDING! In truth, I aspire to achieve your level of greatness.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my kit thanksgiving morning 2016. I am at the roller stage now and getting the motor and trans ready to install. My hold up is budget/waiting on parts. Enjoy your time in the garage

Post Thanks / Like
    5 years 11 months

4 years lost to getting sucked in to reading the forum threads every day.

I literally finished last weekend. I guess that makes me a bit of a slow builder.
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 02-28-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just over 4 years as of now. My car is currently at paint and should be home within a few weeks. Deviating from the basic build, extras, $$, training for several marathons, and a couple of really hot summers contributed to the build length. Getting my car done and tagged will be a priority when it returns from paint.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll let you know when I'm done. FFR5778 delivered 10/07. First start 02/08. In paint 10/16.

Post Thanks / Like
    My MK4 was delivered in July 2010, I go karted last April and today is the first drive with the body and all hardware on except the windshield. Waiting for my son to come down from Chicago, he is doing the body and paint.

I'll be posting a vid of todays test drive. So I'm creeping up on 7 years.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not finished, I got it in July of 2016.

Post Thanks / Like
    4 years for the first one, 5 months for the second. -- Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    9 months from delivery to registration & graduation. Go Kart at roughly 4 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is BUILT / NEVER FINISHED. I'm having so much fun changing things why stop. about 18 months out and should be register in a couple of weeks.

Gary
    Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, Wilwood brakes, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost 2 years to the day from pickup to legally on the road. Still some little things to do before I'd call it finished. I know "you are never finished".

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting post to read. It's crazy how much variation there is.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked kit up in March 2015
    On the road June 2016 (15 Months after pickup)
    Off to paint October 2016
    Should be finally finished and ready for a real graduation April 2017

Project was a blast. Lots of little milestones

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up my kit in August 2014. First start in November 2014. Go-kart March 8th and then off to paint March 15, 2015. Back from Paint June 8th and street Legal July 29th. Eight months build time and three months paint time. Complete kit without many mods. All of the time was evenings and weekends when there were no family events. I was having so much fun with the build I worked through the winter in an unheated garage. Loved every minute of it!
    Last edited by JIMOCO; 03-03-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll never be "finished". But I was 90% complete in 1 year, working a few hours most evenings, and ~8 hours most weekends. Then, I met my wife, got married, and started having kids. It took another 6 years to get 95% done, to the point where I could register it. Then, it took another year to get it safe enough to race. It's 99% done now, the list of things to improve never gets shorter...