BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Automatic Transmission or shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Automatic Transmission or shifter

Automatic Transmission or shifter type.....I was gonna go with the TKO600. Just curious to see if anyone likes automatic.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an AOD in mine, i did it because of hip and back problems. Driving an Auto is better for me.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-back-up/page3

Post Thanks / Like
    I had planned to run the 4r70w behind the Coyote engine, but kept seeing more work in going this route. I have driven a Mustang with 525 fwhp and auto trans with 3.73s, sweeet! That experience and the wifey asking if I would mind going that route.
    I put an auto in our 66 2+2 Mustang and she has driven it only once. Went back and re hung the clutch pedal. I am hoping I can wire around the clutch switch and avoid installing it. I need to get educated on the hydraulic clutch now.
    Avoiding additional work on the car is the main factor for me. I keep buying options and adding time to my completion. It is all fun, but want to get to a roller and go kart stage before summer is here and gone.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    An AOD is an easier swap than a 4R70W, the electronic later trans requires an electronic control box and a custom shorter driveshaft. The AOD is the same case length and bolt locations as a T5 manual, the same length driveshaft. The only modifications needed is to cut off a few tabs on the trans case that are not needed, and to modify the bolt in A-Frame under the trans. You will need to get a radiator with a trans cooler, or at least an auxiliary trans cooler with enough capacity to handle the trans on its own. there is plenty of room between the trans and tunnel to fit a stock mustang shifter, as well as a B&M AOD Hammer, I believe even the LOKAR shifters fit also. The pedal box for a Manual and Auto are the same and fit without any modifications.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an AOD in my MKII and when it was totaled I kept the engine, transmission, and rearend which I am installing in my MKIV. I have the surface mount LOKAR shifter. As 6t8dart showed in his previous post, it's a relatively easy install and like him back problems make an automatic much better for me also.

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Morning Guys

Automatics are great but remember that you need the right stall converter or the car will not stop and will keep pushing ..

So what i use is a 3000 - 3800 stall ... hope this helps!!!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    An auto makes it easier for some folks to drive and is more economical from a maintenance perspective. And if you go that route take Tony's advice on the torque converter. But the TKO600 trumps the auto in the fun factor category and unless you use an overdrive auto, the TKO will be easier on the highway with its 5th gear overdrive. Some may argue that the TKO is easier to install than the larger & more sophisticated overdrive autos that require computer modules to shift them. I like the simplicity of the TKO600 and when face plated and used with a light flywheel they will typically out accelerate any auto even fully prepped manual valve body autos designed for drag racing. So the choice is do you want easy to drive or fun to drive?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    While I'm A Left Foot & Bolt Action Transmission Guy, An Automatic Is The Quickest Way To Get Consistent Quarter Mile Times!

If you don't like clutching, but like shifting, then consider a manual valve body as THE NAZ suggests!

Post Thanks / Like
    I run an AOD with a full manual valve body and absolutely love it. I still shift every gear, and it's instant. If I get stuck in traffic, much less on a hill, it's effortless. Acceleration is quicker (0-60 mph consistently in the 2's), and big power is much more controllable. A bonus is more foot room with the clutch pedal eliminated. Regarding the stall convertor comments above, mine is 2800 rpm and I wouldn't want it any higher. Another FFR roadster owner I know (running 200 more rwhp than myself) had his converter tightened from 2800 to 2400 rpm. We both run custom converters so perhaps that's the difference from Tony's recommendation above. Cheers.

PS: Personally, I think my car is funner to drive with an auto than when I had my 5 speed, so I disagree with NAZ.

On a separate note, I notice most of the big hp exotics have gone to automatics.
    Last edited by Plebeian; 03-03-2017 at 02:39 PM.