Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: California Bureau Automotive Repair??

Post Thanks / Like

California Bureau Automotive Repair??

While I wait for the body to be finished at the painter, I am getting ready for my registration process. I understand that the next step is to get the car inspected by the California Bureau Automotive Repair.
    Dose anyone have any advice before I set up my appointment?
    I have a carbureted engine with one valve cover vented to the carburetor. The other is not vented. See below.

Is this OK or do I need two vents?
    Any other things I should know?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to need a source for the air that the carb pulls from the engine. Most people mount something like a K&N push on filter over the oil fill tube on the other valve cover. I hope that is clear. You can run a line to the bottom of the air filter base from the opposite valve cover. This keeps the air clean going into the engine. Some intakes have a pcv hole in the back of the manifold. You could plumb a hose from there to the air filter base also. Do you have a pcv valve in the line to the carb? When you give the crankcase a source of air, your carb is going to need adjusting. I would not do a lot of run time with the crankcase sealed up. You might be able to experience some of the change, by pulling the dip stick. If I am understanding your set up, you should have a vacuum on the dipstick tube.
    If you are venting from the valve cover to the air filter base, you are OK.
    Last edited by Railroad; 02-28-2017 at 08:41 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have started the DMV, inspection, title, and registration process. My thread on the SB100 process is http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Registration I have my CHP VIN inspection appointment is Mar 6th, and was planning an update after that. Then I will make the BAR, and light and brake inspection appointments. The BAR requires a VIN to do their part. If you are doing the SB100, I believe you will need a PVC vented to the intake, and another line vented to the air cleaner, but I'm not positive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure that the hose(s) you use to connect from the valve covers are oil rated. I've seen some guys get rejected because they used heater or other non-petroleum rated hoses.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Make sure that the hose(s) you use to connect from the valve covers are oil rated. I've seen some guys get rejected because they used heater or other non-petroleum rated hoses.

Ray
    Good point. Somewhere in my literature, it says those hoses have to be "Fuel Rated".
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    I have started the DMV, inspection, title, and registration process. My thread on the SB100 process is http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Registration I have my CHP VIN inspection appointment is Mar 6th, and was planning an update after that. Then I will make the BAR, and light and brake inspection appointments. The BAR requires a VIN to do their part. If you are doing the SB100, I believe you will need a PVC vented to the intake, and another line vented to the air cleaner, but I'm not positive.
    I just went through the process a few months ago. Seems like your on the right track. CHP wants the VIN plate on the fire wall in the engine compartment. The Westminster CHP officer I had was a gear head so he was easy to work with.
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene, I hope everything goes smooth for you. Don't want to highjack your thread, but does anyone know what would need to be done regarding PCV venting if you are running stack injection? Does someone make an air cleaner that would encompass all the stacks?
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Gene, I hope everything goes smooth for you. Don't want to highjack your thread, but does anyone know what would need to be done regarding PCV venting if you are running stack injection? Does someone make an air cleaner that would encompass all the stacks?
    Rick
    If you are worried about filtering the air before it goes into the engine crankcase, you do not have to use the air filter housing, as far as operation. State requirements may dictate the method. You can put a small push on filter on a hose, or K&N over the oil fill tube. Hope this helps.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of PCV, I don't see one on that motor. I'm thinking you need that other valve cover to have a PCV valve with a proper hose back to the intake.. Also, Make sure the existing breather is NOT VENTED.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful.
    The valve covers I have are off a ford racing 302 that was intended to injected and only one valve cover had a breather opening. I will now to change the valve covers to ones with a breather hole in each valve cover. I ordered a pcv valve for one side and a breather for the other. I will use fuel line from the pcv valve to the carb.