FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fresh Air Vents

Post Thanks / Like

Fresh Air Vents

I have my body off and want to add some fresh air vents from the brake inlets on the nose to the foot boxes via a dryer vent tube. Anybody know who offers this kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobra Earl. I think he may have retired though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul Proe - not sure if he's on this site or only the other forum, though. You may also want to try **********, Breeze, and Cobra Restorers.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful what vent tube you use. Regular dryer vent tube will melt in the area of the headers. Seen it several times. There are higher temp products available.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Spectre Performance makes 3" Ducts that are designed be used under your hood.

> You can order them online or find them at most auto parts stores.
    > Add some Attwood Marine Blowers and a lot of air can get moved.
    > You can even run the wires from the blowers though the ducts to hide them.
    > Take a look my HEATER ALBUM or the attached YOUTUBE or the attached SPECTRE links to see if this helps:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

https://www.spectreperformance.com/c...ake-components

https://www.spectreperformance.com/c...?cat=C00000082
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-02-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not overly happy with the blast gates. My drivers side, which is pretty inaccessible where I mounted it, it getting very sticky. And the cable throw is just too long.

Has anyone used exhaust cutouts? Not cheap. But flip a switch and they work.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are available thru ********** or Acton Custom
    ff5-rt.pngff5-lt.pngVent_Set.jpg
    They replicate the original design and can be installed on a Fact. Five build.

Post Thanks / Like
    After getting cooked by heat during last year's Power Tour, looking at adding the same thing. Found these last night and for the price I might try them. Will advise when I get it all completed.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-T40B.html
    Last edited by jcjorgensen; 03-03-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these difficult to install after the build is complete?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Are these difficult to install after the build is complete?
    Not impossible but definitely easier with the body off. The hard side is the drivers side and what else you may have installed there. Headers, Brake reservoirs, Power Brake, all stuff to get in the way, but generally can be removed to gain better access.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed marine bilge blowers, brake vent hose from Summit, cheapo plastic blast gates, and grill intakes from **********. In the picture below you can see the black hose on either side of the car, going into the blast gate. On the passenger side you can open/close the gate from inside the footbox, but the drivers side requires you to open/close the gate from under the hood. Here in New England, I basically open them once in late spring, and close them again in early fall, and use the blower on/off switch to control the amount of air.

blowers.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in a Drivable Pre-Paint mode. I will consider fresh air vents after I have some experience driving when it gets warm here in Central FLorida. I do intend to install a heater and wonder if anyone has just routed the fresh air to the heater intake and run the blower fan with heat off for cooling.

Just a thought !

Cruise on...
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    These are available thru ********** or Acton Custom
    ff5-rt.pngff5-lt.pngVent_Set.jpg
    They replicate the original design and can be installed on a Fact. Five build.
    Paul, pm sent.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone try these? They have a micro switch attached so as soon as you open the gate the blower would switch on. No need for a switch.BD18724E-5508-4F7A-B121-52E554EC6E44.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Powered foot box vents - $200 total cost.

Now that this thread is resurrected I'll throw in my mod. By chance I just finished writing it up on my build thread - look for it on post #473

Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am duplicating silver_pilate design... here are the parts I ordered, exact duplication of his setup which is working great - all in for under $150.

The blast gates need be flipped around so the set screw is on the same side as the lever. It takes 5 mins to do this. This setup does require you to manually open or close the gate with your hand, not on a cable.

Blast gates
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attwood blowers

Clamps

3" hose
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/201997860428
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My plan has always been to install the vents and hose but no shut off door. I can't imagine in MS with me being as hot natured as I am there will be a time when I say "I wish that air was not blowing on me." How has it been in Slidell?
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    I configured my "Pull" knobs to actually close the blast gate/valves. That is, in the normal position of the knob pushed in, the valve is open. I pull it to close the valve. I have never closed it. It's always open, even in the dead of winter here in Southern California. So, yes, I could have (should have) saved myself the trouble of making and putting in the shut off valves/blast gates.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed the sliding blast gates which frequently got stuck & just run the openings clear in the summer & capped in the winter. Just the reverse of my heater which is open in the winter & capped in the summer.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I made mine using brake hose line over the shock tower, then into aluminum tube at the elephant ear, then into the front of the foot box. To close off (in AZ when would you need to do that?) you can clear tape over the front vent grill, or stuff a shop rag into the hose in the foot box. Keep it simple. Whole thing both sides cost about $50.00. Blower only helps when your standing still (in a Cobra, why would you ever do that?).

Post Thanks / Like
    I got rid of the plastic blast gates. I always hated how they felt when operated. Then they started to freeze up. I got cheap ebay exhaust cutouts, and took the motors off and did a little trimming. I used stainless 3" to 3" exhaust "reducers" on top. A nylon RC airplane bellcrank attaches the cable to the shaft. I also have mine set up where pushed in is open. I did some gasket material on the butterflies to stop rattles.

I replaced the plastic hose, that started to melt, with high temp brake ducting.

IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG

Now if I could just find some quiet fans........

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the ones from Paul last year. Think they are now the ones available through finish line. They are pricey but come ready install & well built. Was somewhat seemless and match my vintage dash look. I was going to just run the pipe to the flanges to be installed in front cowl but recent posts and a ride with another builder pushed me over to install some bilge blowers as well. Make sure you account for doors when installing the pulls.. ask me how I know. I had to make some angled spacers to angle the pull so the door doesn't hit.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuhale View Post
    I bought the ones from Paul last year. . . .
    Thanks, Bryan. I've gone ahead and opened the website for these and a number of other items Period Correct, LLC

I'm hurrying as fast as I can to finish out the additional items.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone filter the air coming into these air vents? What prevents all the stuff coming off the road from getting dumped into your foot boxes? Photos are always a plus. Thanks, Tim
    Mk4 Complete Kit delivered 5/2019, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood F/R, Power steering, Halibrand 17” X 9” Front 17” X 10.5” Rear, Nitto NT555 G2 F/R

Post Thanks / Like
    no filter... I don't really notice a problem but I'm sure one could fabricate a filter from a HVAC or some kind of scotch-brite pad.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

27. Likes tbl100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A filter or a screen? A screen is not a bad idea to keep rocks out, mostly to keep rocks from destroying your fans if you are using fans.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use the front brake cooling ducts as a source of fresh air for the footboxes like I do, here's a pic of the mesh material to keep the (bigger) debris out.

HTH,
    Will
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Like luvaz shows. The most common setup has mesh. Your tubes will make a 90* up just behind the intake. Then it is fairly long run to the footbox. I have never noticed any issue with dirt, rocks, or flamingos.

Do yourself a favor and use proper high temp brake duct. I had the "upgraded" Cobra Earl tubes and they melted over the header area. They we all the way up as far as they would go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone found a motorized damper that they like? I'm thinking of installing a setup similar to what others have posted here with the Attwood blowers, but I'd like to actuate the dampers with a switch rather than a pull cable. I'm running into dead ends finding a motorized damper though. Nearly every DC-powered damper I see is 24vdc for residential HVAC use. The only one I've come across so far that's small enough (3") and 12vdc is this one from Amazon, but just based on the photos I'm not terribly impressed with the all-plastic construction.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have blast tubes but if I did , i would use aircraft SCAT tube. It is made for the high temperature under an aircraft engine cowling and stands the heat with no problems. It is available from Aircraft Spruce in different diameters and the length of your choice. You can order on the web. If you ask for a catalog, they will send a free one that is full of good information, fastener options, raw materials, etc.
    427 Dart, Sniper, IRS, Mk IV complete, TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option for the tubing that I've been looking at is high temp brake duct tubing like this.

Edit: I went and looked up SteveP's recommendation for SCAT tubing after I posted this, and it appears that it's pretty much the same stuff. Looks like a good way to go.
    Last edited by JohnK; 10-17-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this for 3" tube. I hope it can take the heat.

https://www.spectreperformance.com/8...-duct-hose-kit
    Mk4 Complete Kit delivered 5/2019, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood F/R, Power steering, Halibrand 17” X 9” Front 17” X 10.5” Rear, Nitto NT555 G2 F/R