Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any pros and cons using a mid scissors lift?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any pros and cons using a mid scissors lift?

Any pros and cons using a mid scissors lift? Was thinking about getting one if helps with building car.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Love them
    i have 2

pro
    not tripping over a lift all the time
    you can build the entire car using it
    easy to move
    easy setup

con
    hard to service trans after build
    no second car storage
    need 2) 2x12x16 foot boards per side to raise the car up over the lift
    and the boards need to be anchored to the floor so they do not shoot out when you drive up on them.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with everything Mark said. I would love to have it recessed into the floor so I didn't need the boards.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on Mark and Mike's comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll dive in as I recently bought the Dannmar mid-rise. I love it - wish I'd bought it when I started building the car.

I have a pair of 2x12 that will raise my DD high enough to get over the lift, and another set of 2x8 that raises enough for the MkIII. I drilled holes in the planks to take some carriage bolts that align them for the roadster use and prevent them slipping against each other. I have an epoxy floor and they don't slip on the floor at all. I was concerned about scoring the floor so sit the lift on a sheet of masonite (hardboard, whatever it's called). A floor recessed unit would be perfect but I'm not digging up my epoxy floor.

Here's my Mk3 on it at full rise.

Rear access (with pistons at the front of the car). You'll have to tilt your head to the left - weird angle. The main lift 'beams' are 24" apart, slightly too wide to match to the car main frame, but sit easily on the rear outriggers.

Front access. I've a 2x6 across the width of the car because there are no outriggers to use. But I think that if I line the car up 'perfectly' I can probably use the lift as is and use the car main frame rails.

I couldn't raise it quite as high due to the garage door opener, but last week I got to use the lift on my daily driver when I had to replace the starter motor. It's already paying for itself.

I got mine through Home Depot, free delivery to the nearest store. Rented one of their flat beds and used my engine hoist to get it off the truck. I was trying to decide between this and their 2-post. Both have their advantages but so far I've nothing but recommendations for this mid rise. The advantage to me is that I can just park over it when not in use.
    Last edited by Paparazzi; 03-02-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
    I'll dive in as I recently bought the Dannmar mid-rise. I love it - wish I'd bought it when I started building the car.

I have a pair of 2x12 that will raise my DD high enough to get over the lift, and another set of 2x8 that raises enough for the MkIII. I drilled holes in the planks to take some carriage bolts that align them for the roadster use and prevent them slipping against each other. I have an epoxy floor and they don't slip on the floor at all. I was concerned about scoring the floor so sit the lift on a sheet of masonite (hardboard, whatever it's called). A floor recessed unit would be perfect but I'm not digging up my epoxy floor.

Here's my Mk3 on it at full rise.

Rear access (with pistons at the front of the car). You'll have to tilt your head to the left - weird angle. The main lift 'beams' are 24" apart, slightly too wide to match to the car main frame, but sit easily on the rear outriggers.

Front access. I've a 2x6 across the width of the car because there are no outriggers to use. But I think that if I line the car up 'perfectly' I can probably use the lift as is and use the car main frame rails.

I couldn't raise it quite as high due to the garage door opener, but last week I got to use the lift on my daily driver when I had to replace the starter motor. It's already paying for itself.

I got mine through Home Depot, free delivery to the nearest store. Rented one of their flat beds and used my engine hoist to get it off the truck. I was trying to decide between this and their 2-post. Both have their advantages but so far I've nothing but recommendations for this mid rise. The advantage to me is that I can just park over it when not in use.
    not related but where did you get the large Cobra logo on the wall?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    not related but where did you get the large Cobra logo on the wall?
    Home made. I couldn't find one large enough so my wife and I created it ... in pictures
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Slightly on topic, has anyone used the Quick Jack? Looks like it's about 3" when collapsed with a 20" lift. Curious if anyone can speak to their durability and stability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone seen or heard anything about Nussabaum lifts? You'd think this style would be popular, but I don't know anyone who has one. http://www.bowlinent.com/lifts/nussbaum_sprinter.php

There are a number of forum members who have the quick jack and love them.
    Last edited by flynntuna; 03-02-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
    Home made. I couldn't find one large enough so my wife and I created it ... in pictures
    Very cool. nicely done
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Has anyone seen or heard anything about Nussabaum lifts? You'd think this style would be popular, but I don't know anyone who has one. http://www.bowlinent.com/lifts/nussbaum_sprinter.php
    it's $1500-$2000 too expensive.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pros >>> Having One
    Cons >>> Not Having One!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    it's $1500-$2000 too expensive.
    Yea, probably the most expensive mid rise at 3k+ but being there isn't any cross bars to interfere in the center, it might be worth it for some.

Greg smith equipment sells a Chinese version that's cheaper in every way. http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...-Mid-Rise-Lift

Here's a couple pics of the nussbaum...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the Nussbaum (nut tree?!) I think the 'ramps' look too far apart to have anywhere on a Roadster to sit. You really need the main frame rails at the front and the rails or outriggers at the rear. The 'Quick Lube NT' model has swinging arms that would be better, but their sales pitch made me smile: "Even the lowest of cars can access the lift due to the low 4.625″platform height."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 5000lb Quick Jacks, love them! They're just low enough that I can park the car on top of them, if I'm careful. They fit on the main chassis rails for most work, or you can also move them out under the outer rails, for working on the transmission/engine.
    jacks1.jpgjacks2.jpg

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a four-post lift and you have clear access under the car and it will lift higher than these vertically challenged scissor lifts. Limited on head room? Lift as high as you can and you still have clear space under the car and you can also use it as a stacker and store your ATV, lawn mower, or other mobile items in the clear space under the lift. Add casters and you can push it into your driveway to use it. Compare costs and versatility and you may rethink purchasing the scissor lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...hadn't considered putting a 4-poster on casters. That's a good idea!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    BendPak sells casters for some of their lifts. I had casters on my small lift and used to push it outside my shop to pressure wash the salt off my truck in winter. If a low ceiling is preventing someone from buying a four post lift then they may be able to use the lift outside by installing a caster kit. And unlike some two-post lifts, it doesn't take anything special for a concrete floor to support a four-post lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bend pak 4 post. Didn't get the casters because I did not need it for my application but they are pretty user friendly. Just something to consider if you do plan to move it around is to get the 110V motor option. The lift will operate at half the speed of the 220 motor but the lifting power is the same and it will make life easier being able to use any outlet that is close to where you moved the lift to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a 4-post lift (AutoLifters, who went out of business but it is almost identical to Backyard Buddy and similar to BendPak). Mine came with the casters as a promotion and it is nice to be able to move it although I rarely do. I bought the lift after an evening of laying on the cold concrete installing a new heater core on my minivan, when I could barely move my sore muscles the next morning! It is a great tool and I can't imagine not having one, even if the ceiling were too low to go to full height it is still SO useful.

I also encourage anyone with a lift to install high-lift garage door tracks (and pulleys) and a side-mount opener. 110 V pump for the lift is fine, I have time.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of good info on this subject!! I wish I had picked up an economical scissor lift and have it on the wish list now. I like that I can move it to another bay or stash it out of the way. I was holding out for a 4 post, but that has to go in the "big end" of my garage and then is pretty much stuck in that bay as I live on hilly terrain with ice...
    I did pick up a motorcycle lift which is a light version of the scissor lift. It has become my favorite work bench in the garage because I can put it at a convenient working height and work on heavy stuff. Eventually I'll have both a 4 post and a scissor lift. Maybe I can get my brother to put a 2 post in his garage

Making it up as I go. JJ in Cbus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found a BendPak scissor lift on Craigslist about 2 years ago. I love it. Mark's pros/cons sums it up well. I wish I did have it available earlier in the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I jist picked up a Titan Mid rise Scissor lift which is all but identical to the dan mar. It just arrived today, cost was $1625 delivered Wholesalelifts.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to look at that. I am seriously considering he quickjack 5000

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's a website that may be of some assistance:

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...ifts-s/294.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Here's a website that may be of some assistance:

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...ifts-s/294.htm
    Thanks Steve!

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently got the Quick Jack 5000. It was on sale for $1240. (shipping is included) Nice unit.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    I recently got the Quick Jack 5000. It was on sale for $1240. (shipping is included) Nice unit.

Olli
    Olli, is the bl-5000slx? If so, does it fit under the outer rails, between the wheels? Or only on the main rails?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Olli, is the bl-5000slx? If so, does it fit under the outer rails, between the wheels? Or only on the main rails?
    Yes, 5000SLX. Yes, it can slide in from the side. I have only lifted with it on the 4" rounds.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    Yes, 5000SLX. Yes, it can slide in from the side. I have only lifted with it on the 4" rounds.

Olli
    Thanks! May I ask where you bought it from? Btw, I grew up in east brunswick