FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adjustable pedals (3), any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Adjustable pedals (3), any ideas?

My DMV forces me to either have seats sliders or adjustablepedals (all 3), in order to allow people from different heights to adjust the controls.

The seat sliders cannot be used as is, there is no space for the seat to slide. I have to change the rear FW, change the 33 Rod fuel tank (1st gen 818), re-do my wiring, cabling, find some custom sliders for my VW Recaro seats, make them fit and cut the small bar in front of the seats. One hell of a job.

I thought of changing the pedal box for adjustable one. One hell of a job too. I see the Wilwood kit sold by FFR only has 2 pedals and is not adjustable.

Anyone knows of a kit consisting of 3 pedals that are adjustable? I have cable throttle.

tnx
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I would focus on making the seats adjustable. EVEN if it was only in a temporary manner just to pass inspection. That is assuming you only have to pass the inspection once. You could even use different seats... donor seats maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    My DMV forces me to either have seats sliders or adjustablepedals (all 3), in order to allow people from different heights to adjust the controls.

The seat sliders cannot be used as is, there is no space for the seat to slide. I have to change the rear FW, change the 33 Rod fuel tank (1st gen 818), re-do my wiring, cabling, find some custom sliders for my VW Recaro seats, make them fit and cut the small bar in front of the seats. One hell of a job.

I thought of changing the pedal box for adjustable one. One hell of a job too. I see the Wilwood kit sold by FFR only has 2 pedals and is not adjustable.

Anyone knows of a kit consisting of 3 pedals that are adjustable? I have cable throttle.

tnx
    Frank,
    Take an adjustable seat cushion with you when you go to the DMV.
    In your area, do all the kit cars go through all these hassles.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, cushion raise the seat. I need fore-aft movement.
    Yes since 2010 all the kit cars go through these hassles. There are a lot more, every day I learn news ones from the DMV and it adds stress to the stress I have for over 3 years now. Bad idea the VR6 in there and bad idea a non-replica car in QC. Oh well. Many hassles I knew long ago and already made mods in the past 3 years. Some were outstanding, like this one, cuz there was a grey zone in the documents. I have identified about 15 grey zones. Most yielded to stress on me, so far 2 are major ones, 1 I might have fixed and this one nothing so far. I spent 80h googling for lights in the past 2 weeks. Googling...

Jeff, yes inspection only once. I checked for adjustable 3 pedals with throttle cable and there is nothing I found. They are adjustable, but with bolts. I need a mecanism that does the adjustment on the fly, like Corvettes I think. But nowadays cars don't come with manual gearbox so finding an OEM pedal box with throttle cable that is adjustable on the fly is harder than finding my front blinkers (which I think I did, waiting on parts. FFR told me they would not help us here in QC). So I think you're right, I have to focus on the seats.

Temporary solution with a $5000 seat I don't care! Let's buy it. I don't have other seats than the Recaros. I am not aware of any seat that can be slided without changing the fuel tank, but I admit I didn't follow those discussions much as I thought my adjustable Recaros (but only the back is, not the slider) would do it. Does the Subaru one can? I think I could buy a racing seat, it's not illegal, as long as it slides fore-aft. A small racing seat and some sliders that I can fit in that tight space.

I still need to know the minimum distance it needs to move. With the bar up front and FW in the back, more than 1-2" is unlikely, unless I find a short seat. Yeah I think that's the way to go. Tnx for pointing out, I'm so focused on those search since 3 weeks that I didn't think about the seats themselves as a tempo measure.

You have no idea guys how frustrated I am at my DMV...
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    3". Seat needs to slide 1.5" fwd and 1.5" backwards. Can't do that without cutting the bar at least, I guess. With a short racing seat and bar cut, should work.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always weld it back. I feel for you with all the hassles your going through. Keep your eye on the prize, were pulling for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    The prize is getting smaller and smaller, after all these mods the 818 will not look like an 818 anymore, be very heavy and not feel like one. lolll But yeah everytime I have a good news from the DMV, I take a beer to celebrate. And the next morning I get hit by a bad news. Than later in the day a good news, I take a beer. etc... Like that for 3 weeks. lolll

Yes I could weld the bar back on and retrofit my current perfect setup for me. Then I'll look for a short seat and adjustable sliders. If I find say a Corbeau seat and use their sliders meant to fit with the seat, that should help fitting it in place with less hassle.

tnx guys.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, if you're interested I have a set of sparco sliders and brackets that used to be in my wrx. To me, the easiest solution would be to make some custom brackets to mate the sliders to your seats. I don't think you necessarily have to cut your frame tube or firewall, there's probably a way to make it work. You can see in the picture I cut away the part of the bracket and welded in a curved piece to clear the slider handle. The handle could probably slide under that diagonal cross tube in front of the seat.
    IMAG0225.jpg

But yeah everytime I have a good news from the DMV, I take a beer to celebrate. And the next morning I get hit by a bad news. Than later in the day a good news, I take a beer. etc... Like that for 3 weeks. lolll
    I'll drink a la fin du monde for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I could tilt the seat backwards a little, which would give more space to clear the small frame tube, however I am not sure if it'll hit the rear FW. Can I get measurement of your sliders in PM? Before you drink, if possible, so I get the right numbers. I'll see where they land on the frame and if it sounds good then I could give a try. Crossing fingers the seat slider's lever doesn't hit on the frame tube.

DMV told me I can use ANY full racing seat if I want, as long as I use FMVSS206 seat belts, which racing belts aren't. If I use Subie belts with full racing seat, that's accepted. Well they are very lax here compared to what I've seen in the past 3 weeks. Thank god... still far from Craig in IN, but hey, our 15% taxes and 50% income taxes are going somewhere. Not where I want but hey again! lolll

There is another guy in QC who contacted the DMV. I don't think he's here but if he reads this, PM me, man!

This is no longer in the right sub-forum, but anyway.
    Frank

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, just cut what you need to and weld back on later. But seriously, don't buy another racing seat or whatever. Go to the damn junk yard and get a rat-eaten seat out of a mercury topaz or some sucky thing.... ANYTHING cheap. Wont' matter since you are only doing it for the inspection. Heck, to clear the bar, you could even raise the seat ABOVE the level of the bar to allow it to slide OVER the bar. It's going to be ugly but they aren't pass/failing you on appearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I go over the bar I can keep the Recaro. My thinking is over the bar will hit the s/w. But let me check, you're right. Like I mention to STI, if I tilt back a little and raise just what's needed to get around 3" and if i can clear the s/w, then I'm good with my old VW seat.
    Frank

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steering wheel should have tilt. so you can raise the steering wheel up a bit. Shouldn't be anywhere near hitting. If it is, go and get a CHEAP 10" low-rider steering wheel off ebay or something.

That's a pic of my 818 interior, BTW. Pretty happy with how it's turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut the bar, use simple sliders, custom brackets for the seats, I did that, works great.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    10" SW is too small, DMV accepts 320mm minimum, which I'm at. And I have a curved bottom on the SW, it's like a D shaped SW but the bottom curves upwards.
    If I cut the bar, the DMV wants me to re-weld it somewhere else. They will tell me what to do, but they don't want me to cut it for the moment. Last resort he said.
    That's how my hands are tied with that DMV. And that's just for seat sliders. I'm not talking about lights and other stuff.

However Jeff with your other post before you made me think. I am using spacers to LOWER the column right now. I can easily get 0.5" there byt removing them and another one from the seat. With 1" more, I'm sure I can slide the seat a good distance over the bar. Of course it won't be useful, cuz people taller than me need to slide it back and no one is smaller than me (5'6"), but the DMV will probably not get down to that level of detail. So I should be ok with that. I'll give it a try.

STI I'm still interested in your sliders, BTW.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, cut the tube or take a look at the Tillet seat http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8S-LYTW8/page8 it looks pretty compact and could give you the adjustment that is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Mitch, the DMV does not allow me (yet) to cut the tube.

But I figured out something, after Jeff's idea of raising the seat, I remembered I use Rori's column spacer with more spacers to bring the column down. I can gain 7/16 there and although the s/w is already at max height adjustment (the lever on the column), I was able to raise the seat 1.5", plenty enough to clear above the tube.

STI I have PMed you.
    Frank

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    go with the sparcos, real nice.

or can you use slotted mounts and quick release bolts like mountain bikes have?

if they only want 3" of adjustability cant you just get 2 back cushions that are 1.5" thick each?

http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...__01023NR.html
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 03-06-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I think I've seen something on dirt track cars with all three pedals that could be on a slider but, you would have to move everything to floor mount AND use hoses on the brake lines. Better to just get a small cheap seat and then rip it back out later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a search and found a two pedal version....http://www.hyperracing.com/pages/pro...product=34-599

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah very hard to find 3 pedals. Good find that 2 pedals though, better than those I've found.

The cushions don't get the seat to move. They force me the solution by wanting the entire seat to move. I told them I have a back seat that can tilt with a motor and keeps it position (basically same as cushions but better), they rejected without asking questions on anything.

So far I believe the best guess is some seat mounts and sliders, raise the seat, raise the column, scrap my optimal driving position (which affects security 100% of the time, unlike adjustable seats which will never except in an urgency that will most probably never happen), pass inspection, ditch the seat mount and sliders, lower the column and get back my optimal driving position. All that using my current seat. I have high hopes into STIPWRD's seat mounts... I should know tonight.

Just crossing fingers they won't ask me to get my welds certified by a pro welder. Cuz they can do it on ANY welds. If they have doubts, they will ask.

You got your hands and feet tied, in QC. Worst place in the world to live. Do not build a non-Subaru 818 in QC.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    And I thought Kalifornia was bad. Anyway I did find a three pedal version. http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Track-Pro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flynntuna; 03-06-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah a little off the subject (I started the thread anyway), what does the big sunny CA is asking for on kit cars?

I can't see the adjustability of those 3-pedals. Pix are too small and they don't seem to describe how.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought, Kirkey makes about the smallest seat I have seen. The style of seat is called a 'bomber'. It is absolutely not adjustable in any way except for whatever slides you put them on. Not sure that helps. Just for giggles have you thought about showing the DMV the car with the seat in the middle of the slide? Then it moves forward and back?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got no slides under my seat at the moment, which is why they asked to have some.
    I'll keep note of Kirkey if I ever need to change seat for a non-cheap one. I think with Sparco and now Kirkey I have choices if I get there.
    Let's see what other miracles my hands and hammer can do by adjusting the column and raising my actual seat on sliders above the tube bar they don't want me to cut.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah a little off the subject (I started the thread anyway), what does the big sunny CA is asking for on kit cars?

I can't see the adjustability of those 3-pedals. Pix are too small and they don't seem to describe how.
    Pretty basic, if you go with the sb100 route which exempts smog, 500 exemptions/yr then all you need is an inspection with the CHP to check for stolen parts, headlights and brake inspection and to a BAR site. The biggest challenge is finding a DMV employee who knows what their doing. Lol. Calif. in this case just wants their money and isn't actively trying to keep the car off the road.

That pedal assembly is meant to be bolted to the floor, so you'll have to make an adjustable frame for it. That said by far the easiest way is to build a slider for the seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting on the registration. I'd love that, especially if they just ask for invoices regarding stolen parts. Headlights are one out 15 required lights here.

The pedal box seems to take quite some space. Yeah sliders first and I'll see from there, tnx for the link, will be useful if I get there.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sliders under my fake recaros but fwd movement is limited to 2" because of the angled bar in front of the seat. I'm 5'10 and have the FFR tank. I just have enough room but my seat is angled and hits the back crossbar and I couldn't go back even if I took out the fuel tank. If I decide I need more I will move the pedal box.
    I would just put sliders in, get it approved and then go back to what you want.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I got lucky and scored a set of seats out of a caged, wreaked mini Cooper. It had Sparco seats with sliders that was easy to retrofit onto the 818. Kinda doesn't help but if it were me, I'd try to make the seats adjustable, not the pedals. When looking at my 818 and trying to visualize adjustable pedals (even though I think they would be helpful) it looks like more work than is necessary....

Post Thanks / Like
    dodge vipers had adjustable pedal assembly's that fit in a small area. i think they hang from above so maybe they could be made to work for you