Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SAAC-42 at Indy this year

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SAAC-42 at Indy this year

Listed on my bucket list - more toward the bottom as never thought it was ever going to happen - was a drive on the Indy track. So this year I heard that SAAC is holding their "event" at the Indy Speedway. So I joined SAAC and am signed up for EVERY open track period in the two days of open track times.

Rain or Shine I'm going to get my track time in at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! Any one else thinking of going? It's not till June 8,9 for the track days - am not much for the other stuff. I'd sleep on the grass for the change to drive THE track! I may try out this Facebook live video stuff while on the track we'll see. Lots of general planning now and going over the car very carefully to be sure it will be ready!

New Clutch to go in
    New Rear engine oil seal
    Brake pads all around
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ralph,

Nirvana will be reached when you and your roadster hit the track at Indy. I visited the track two years ago on a summer trip and was lucky enough to be there during a tire testing session that was using Indy cars. I think it was the sound that made the biggest impact. A high-performance V8 revving at max rpm flying down the front straight between grandstands on both sides absolutely maxed out all my senses. It was a rush I won't soon forget.

Personally, aside from the excitement of driving on this historic track, my humble MKIII with a stock '94 302 would max out at 140mph maybe 1/4 the way down the straights. Forget taking the corners at anything near flat-out.

I hope you will be able to drive the road course. That should be a lot more fun in our cars.

Ralph, you hold the all-time record for seat time in a Cobra. I only have 50,000 miles on mine (though maybe 20,000 are track miles) but every mile only adds to the pleasure. Good luck with your bucket list and post your observations from your June 8,9 experience.

John
    Last edited by John Tongish; 03-04-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    I can't believe I built it, and it runs!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph,

Say "hello" to my friend, Roger Dieter, who will also be at the SAAC event at Indy. He drives a Factory Five Type 65 Coupe, white with blue stripes. Underhood is rather special, sporting a Ford small block with twin turbos!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***