Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aluminum cylinder head question

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Aluminum cylinder head question

First request please - Please NO "you get what you pay for lectures" or "just save up a bit more money and buy X brand" on this thread.

Like most people, I'm on a budget and trying to get the best parts I can afford - that's the important part.

I'm building my MK 4 and putting in a 347 SBF motor, slightly warmed up for the street and just to have something fun. I want to do aluminum heads but can't afford AFR, haven't heard great things about Edelbrock, don't want used iron heads - so here was my question:

Has anyone actually run, not just heard internet rumors about, the Skip White Performance NKB (New Kids on the Block) aluminum heads? Do you like them? Any problems? (Sorry, 3 questions).

I know they are imported but so are most of the parts on our cars and our daily drivers. Just looking for some information from someone that has used them and what they think. The price is right and the build quality looks good.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I if used that particular brand, but have used the import ones with no problems.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Edelbrock heads on my old car, had no issues at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too built on a budget and used ProComp cylinder heads I bought off EBay. They work fine but, I did have to completely disassemble them to remove the shavings left in them from the valve guide reaming.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Pro comps here on a 351w. My builder uses bare heads and finishes off the machining then puts the valvetrain together from there. I've read some story's of crappy parts used on the import heads but the heads themselves seem capable. Mine helped make 416hp and 439ft lbs of torque

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read a lot of good things about the skip white NKB heads. It seems he builds them in house with Manley valves and comp springs and locks. I will be purchasing a set in a few weeks. Can't beat the price! Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man I am glad I am following this thread. Because of the cost of good aftermarket heads, I decided to stick with my gt40p's and put the money to other parts of the build. However, when it comes time to do heads, I will absolutely be considering these.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never used these heads but have purchased several Items from Skip White with great results.
    Kenny

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Edelbrock heads on my engine - transferred them off my original 5.0 engine when I built up a new 347 engine. They are still going, strong even compression across all 8 cylinders. They are the Performer heads with the 1.90 valves.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the BluePrint Engines cylinder heads....
    http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...ord-heads-main
    We use them on our 347's. They make good power and they are a little more affordable. You can get them on Jeg's & Summit as well as directly from BluePrint Engines. Sometimes we'll put a pair on ebay that are scratch and dent that you can really get for a good price and there's not much wrong with them besides some box damage, minor scratches etc.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 03-06-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I hope I didn't sound rude in my post - it's just the internet brings out the worst in some people. Like if you don't have $20,000 just for your motor or if Shelby didn't personally bless your car you don't have anything nice - people are like that but I guess not here.

I'll going to give the NKB heads a try and give everyone an honest review of them when I get the motor dropped in.

Thank you also about the blueprint heads - I'll watch for them for my next build.

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you in the PHX area? ME: Mesa. I had the 5.o stock heads. Went to Edlebrock RPM performers, then to AFR 165 now looking to go to 205's. For a street car the iron heads will produce about 225-235 HP. Biggest difference between the OEM heads and the alumn. heads is the weight. Boy what a savings in weight with the aluminum heads. Lots of good brands out there. Just consider what size you want and budget accordingly. I started with about 300 hp, then to 400 and now 500. Once you determine how you are going to use your car will sort of determine what your needs might be. I, like many guys, built my car for street with SOME track. Over the years I have flip/flopped. I am now rebuilding my car for track with SOME street. I feel if your car can hold up to track days it will be a no brainer on the street. Good luck with you build.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry I missed this thread before
    Yes I have used The NKB heads before with awesome results. I love them.
    I did a rebuilt 306 short block, b-cam, NKB 190cc heads with the appropriate springs
    performer RPM intake and a 600 Double pumper, summit ready to run dizzy
    Darn thing made 325hp at the tires.
    the engine sounds snappy as hell.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624