FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shop press....or pass?

Post Thanks / Like

Shop press....or pass?

I'm in the clean-up/collection phase of the build, while I accumulate the final cash for the kit. I want to disassemble the rear knuckles and detail them, which seems to require removing the bearing/hub. My options are to buy a press and replace the bearings at $15 each while I'm in there, or beat the thing apart and replace the bearing/hub assembly at $30 each. How much have you all used (or wish you had used) a shop press during the build? Hard to say no to tools, but lots of other places to spend money, too.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've got a bench top press that a friend gave me because he purchased a larger unit and thought that my little shop needed this tool. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth and not wanting to offend my friend I took the unit home and set it in the corner.

While I didn't think I'd ever use it, I find that I use it more than a few times each year for various tasks, especially for pressing in U-Joints and bushings so now I am quite glad that he gave it to me. I guess this proves that you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth because an old horse is better than no horse.

Hope this helps.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can only envision one job for a press then pay a shop to press the bearings off and on. That said, some of these hydraulic presses suitable for a hobbyist are very reasonably priced. Another thing to consider is they take up floor space.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 12 ton press from harbor freight, used it for wheel bearings, and .wheel studs so far. I've been happy with it so far.
    I suppose You can farm out those to a local shop for the same cost in labor as the price of the press. If you have the space for one and anticipate more uses for yourself or your friends, then I say buy one. You can always sell it if you later decide you don't have a need for it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my press all the time. Almost never on a job where a benchtop model would do. My vote, get a cheap floor model of about 12 ton minimum.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    If you can only envision one job for a press then pay a shop to press the bearings off and on
    That was the whole point, though. Trying to get some help thinking of more uses, so I would have a good excuse to buy one I'm sure there are tons of jobs (pun intended) and they will make themselves obvious.

I went ahead and got a 12 ton press this morning. Priced $65 less than the 20 ton, and slightly smaller footprint. Plus the 20-ton display unit was awful wobbly.

Thanks for the input, guys!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    If you can only envision one job for a press then pay a shop to press the bearings off and on
    That was the whole point, though. Trying to get some help thinking of more uses, so I would have a good excuse to buy one I'm sure there are tons of jobs (pun intended) and they will make themselves obvious.

I went ahead and got a 12 ton press this morning. Priced $65 less than the 20 ton, and slightly smaller footprint. Plus the 20-ton display unit was awful wobbly.

Thanks for the input, guys!!

Post Thanks / Like
    [Trying to get some help thinking of more uses, so I would have a good excuse to buy one I'm sure there are tons of jobs (pun intended) and they will make themselves obvious.

cracking nuts. macadamia nuts are really hard

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, at least that's useful. The kids and I wasted 20 minutes squishing coins, hi-bounce balls, and legos.

On a more useful note, popped the bearings right out. Inner race is still stuck on the hub, but I'll get to that. All the bearings were discolored and the grease was kinda....dry? Probably would have given me problems sooner than later, and I might have skipped them if I'd skipped the press. Really, I just wanted to paint the damned things, lol. All in all, 20% discount brought the price significantly under $100. Hard to argue with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only time I regret buying tools is when I have to move them...

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used my press a lot. Still use it from time to time. Very handy and valuable tool. As far as big (non-hand) tools go, my basic list is as follows (in no order):
    Shop Press
    Table Saw
    Large high quality drill press
    Chop Saw (one with a blade and one with an abrasive disk)
    TIG Welder
    Air compressor

You can cut aluminum on wood saws and steel with the abrasive chop saw.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 20 ton HF press to do the bearings and also bought a press brake kit from these guys http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Pres...Kits_c_53.html I use the press brake a lot for making brackets etc. If you get the press brake get one of these too http://www.swagoffroad.com/Machined-...cks_p_127.html Beats trying to use the slot in the end of the jack lever. Check out their portaband tables too. I use mine all the time.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too bought a 20ton press from HF. Works awesome and with a super coupon was $150. The reason I bought it was shops around me charges about 75 per wheel to press in new bearings. Would have cost me more to have them do all 4 then to just buy the press myself lol.
    Last edited by redfogo; 03-06-2017 at 10:34 AM.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I use mine all the time, got a great deal on amazon, shipped free.

I cant imagine changing bushings without one.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    My options are to buy a press and replace the bearings at $15 each while I'm in there, or beat the thing apart and replace the bearing/hub assembly at $30 each.
    Be careful with cheap bearings, they often lack the machining precision necessary and can wear out faster. I suggest getting oem. Btw I repacked my bearings with redline CV2 grease.

Other uses for the shop press include the ability to do the wheel bearings on all your other cars. I've already used mine to press all the wheel bearings on the 818 as well as one of the wheel bearings on my wife's car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    The only time I regret buying tools is when I have to move them...
    Yeah, that's what happened to most of my old tools. Wifey decided she wanted somebody else to move our stuff when we pulled up and headed to AZ, and talked me into selling most of them to keep freight down. Still building my collection back up, but never had a press in the first place. The upside is that a lot of my new tools are better than what I sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I used my press a lot. Still use it from time to time. Very handy and valuable tool. As far as big (non-hand) tools go, my basic list is as follows (in no order):
    Shop Press
    Table Saw
    Large high quality drill press
    Chop Saw (one with a blade and one with an abrasive disk)
    TIG Welder
    Air compressor

You can cut aluminum on wood saws and steel with the abrasive chop saw.
    I'm failing on the drill press and tig welder. Used to have a DP (see above), but it was a cheapo. Haven't been able to talk myself into another one yet. And TIG, I don't think I'll have the patience or inclination to learn. I've been given the impression (perhaps wrongly?) that they cost a lot more to operate, and I know they cost a lot more to set up. I'm a little sad that I won't be able to ever weld aluminum with my MIG setup, but we'll see how much that actually hurts later. Never have cut aluminum with a wood saw. I have a cheap sawblade in my miter saw, though. Might give it go just to see!!! I've also seen a special blade for miters that cuts steel. A kid building a dunebuggy on youtube had one. Looked pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    If you get the press brake get one of these too http://www.swagoffroad.com/Machined-...cks_p_127.html Beats trying to use the slot in the end of the jack lever. Check out their portaband tables too. I use mine all the time.
    That knob looks pretty trick. I'll check out the brakes. I was thinking of a table-top brake for thin aluminum panels, but maybe I should go that route instead? I only have 17inches of working space, though....

Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I too bought a 20ton press from HF. Works awesome and with a super coupon was $150. The reason I bought it was shops around me charges about 75 per wheel to press in new bearings. Would have cost me more to have them do all 4 then to just buy the press myself lol.
    I was close on the 20ton, but it only seemed like an inch or two wider, and my coupon got me down to $85 on the little press

Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Be careful with cheap bearings, they often lack the machining precision necessary and can wear out faster.
    Good to know, thanks.