Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone install their own windshield?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone install their own windshield?

In most build threads I've noticed everyone takes the car or frame to a shop to install the glass, I don't believe I've seen anyone do it themselves. Any particular reason I shouldn't? Can't help but feel this is a small potatos task compared to the rest of my build. Is it not as simple as cleaning both surfaces, applying urethane and holding the glass in place with some clamps?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine. There is a special primer you need before the urethane. You'll want about a 3/4 inch high head around the frame before you set the glass in place, no clamps needed. You will want a friend to help set it in, and some suction cups from harbor freight (or a few go-pro mounts.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    I did mine. There is a special primer you need before the urethane. You'll want about a 3/4 inch high head around the frame before you set the glass in place, no clamps needed. You will want a friend to help set it in, and some suction cups from harbor freight (or a few go-pro mounts.)

I want to assume you mean 3/4" bead?
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking about giving this a go a well. I agree with the sentiment that it seems like it would be relatively simple compared to some of the tasks we have to undertake building one of these cars! Interestingly, i called a couple of the big name local glass shops about having them do it and they would not because it is a kit car. A smaller local glass shop said they would, but needed me to bring the car to them or the frame by itself. I have heard that it should be installed while it is bolted in final position on the frame.

I'd like to give it a shot, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Safelite mounted both my windshields. I took the 818S frame to them. For the 818C Safelite came to me and installed the windshield glass, rear hatch glass and the triangle side windows. No whining about a kit car but they sent their most experienced guy.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that was supposed to be "bead."

There are some tips and tricks out there about cutting the tip of your urethane in a big v-shape you can find.

If you have an S follow the advice of others and have a 2x4 ready to support the top center of the windshield for a couple days after you put it in. I'd give it at least two days before you do any other major work on the car.

In addition, if you need to, cut out your access to master cylinders, wiper mounts and doors before you glue it in. You'll save yourself the stress of drilling and death-wheeling in close proximity to the glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been doing some reading, some mixed feelings on using primers. Seems some guys use them on the glass, others don't. Our glass has the black "frit" around the edge so UV protection isn't an issue. Also I couldn't find anything about installing into a fibreglass frame and whether or not that needs to be primed.

Anyone who had theirs done and watched, did the installer prime the frame and glass?
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Kit #80 broke two before I paid a professional to do it.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    Kit #80 broke two before I paid a professional to do it.
    Care to elaborate on what went wrong? I believe the frame being out of shape has caused problems for many, as they clamp the windshield in and the force cracks it or the twist of the frame afterwards. I've been reshaping my frame for about a week, constant pressure in a few directions in a warm environment, seems to be working.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, my guy from Safelite did a lot of cleaning of the glass and frame, then applied a primer to the frame before laying in a line of black goop and placing the windshield with an overhead arm that held the glass with suction cups. After watching him I'm glad I didn't try it myself.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    My glass shop did it the same way as Pete's. I brought in just the frame, they prepped, glued it in and held it with clamps for 24 hrs to cure before I picked it up
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I did than bought another one after it cracked... And had it installed at a local shop. Cracked from frame settling in the center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine227 View Post
    I did than bought another one after it cracked... And had it installed at a local shop. Cracked from frame settling in the center.
    How long after install did it crack? Many miles on it?
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017