BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake line routing?

Post Thanks / Like

Brake line routing?

I am starting to run my brake lines, but I'm a bit concerned that I don't know what I don't know. Since the instructions dont offer much of a guide in this task, i'm just routing to the closest chassis tube. But without the engine in the car, I dont know if that will create some issues (heat, other parts, etc).
    Does anyone have a schematic of a good way to do it?

I have the complete kit with a hydraulic clutch and a coyote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out post #214 & #215 on edwardb's build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ine#post229659. He also has information on Forte's hydraulic clutch (and pretty much every other challenge you'll face).

You will not go wrong copying his work.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Check out post #214 & #215 on edwardb's build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ine#post229659. He also has information on Forte's hydraulic clutch (and pretty much every other challenge you'll face).

You will not go wrong copying his work.

John
    Thanks!
    I've read through his build thread MANY times - not sure why I didn't think to go back and look at his routing. Of course it is documented perfectly!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I did as well. Word of caution if you are using the kit supplied lines you may find that two of them together are longer than you need. If memory serves me they are 60". I found that 120" was way to much and didn't know what to do with the leftovers and I didn't want to get into cutting and flaring the lines. I ended up ordering some shorter pieces for pretty cheap to supplement the long ones and it worked out great. Keep in mind for the coyote you will also need to run the return line.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed mine before the engine was in, but the full suspension was installed. Disclaimer, I have a Mk3.1 with the three-link rear end. I did have a couple of finished cars in my area to look at during this process so that I had some idea where to avoid running the lines, though.

A few photos...

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember to leave room to provide loops for vibration isolation and to avoid things that could cause chafing of the lines - note the rubber pads in a few spots.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    A great duplicate for the dark green line FFR sends is available from Advance so you can make up lines as needed from shorter pieces and unions. Also to make bending super easy, switch to their NiCopp lines. The nickle copper alloy bends almost too easily and will never rust.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the NiCopp lines on mine. Very easy to work with. I would recommend protecting them with gravel guard though. At least outside engine compartment.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the green lines supplied by FFR. I found I couldn't follow the routing of others "exactly" if they were bending and forming their own lines. O'Rileys Auto Parts and several other chain auto parts stores sell the same lines supplied by FFR and they offer a few different lengths which come in handy. They are only about $8 per line so buy a few different lengths and give yourself some options and some extras to practice with. They also sell the tees and unions. A couple extra tees and 90s are helpful. You will find that a 60" might be too long and a 40" is too short. None will be the perfect length so you can form some loops to eat up slack. I used a couple of lines just for practice. Brake lines are challenging at first but turned out to be fun. If you stick close to the routing in the book or the threads suggested by others you wont have heat or interference problems.

Tip: Tape the fittings to the ends of the lines before you start, otherwise they will slide down while you are concentrating on your bend and you will find them on the wrong side of the curve. No going back from there. Last tip: the guys at O'Riley's don't know they sell these because they are hanging in racks in the back and they probably have not sold any since they have been employed. Ask to go back and pick them out yourself. There is also a rack for European cars with metric fittings and they can get intermixed if not careful.

IMG_2271_zps63ajt4js.jpg

IMG_2270_zpsirqeqyo5.jpg

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I got the front lines bent and installed, following edwardb's routing. They aren't as pretty as his, but good enough.

How are you getting nice full curls? My tube bender tool does good ones to 180, but not 360.
    Straversi, is there no issue running your rear line on the inside of the tube (between the tube and foot box panel)?

Also, anyone know offhand what size screws will fit in the tapped holes on the top of the wilwood pedal box (to mount the clamps)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    How are you getting nice full curls? My tube bender tool does good ones to 180, but not 360.
    I was able to do these 360's using two large sockets, spaced slightly apart while held in a vice. You need a bit of swing room for longer pieces of tube, so keep that in mind.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you getting nice full curls?
    I stuck a garden rake straight down into the engine compartment, and wrapped the brake line around the handle.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    I stuck a garden rake straight down into the engine compartment, and wrapped the brake line around the handle.
    John
    John, I would have loved to see a photograph of that. It's funny how many different types of items are used to build a car.

Last edited by DadofThree; 03-09-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I clamped a piece of PVC to a fence post in the yard and made my curls by wrapping around the PVC. 90-degree bends I went 1/4 of the way around. For more gradual bends I used a small tree. Moving higher or lower on the tree gave me varying radius options.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I documented mine as well in my 15th anniversary thread:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...517#post148517

I didn't have to cut and flair a single line. Each segment was a 60" line.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I will add - don't worry if you make a mistake. I went through all of the lines FFR supplied me and had to buy all new ones from NAPA. It isn't too costly and my ego wasn't too bruised. I also used clothes hanger to mock up the lines - worked ok.

I have a buddy building a Cheetah and he flared all of his lines. Guess what - he's chasing leaks now. I went with pre-bought lengths and just a couple of unions and everything is great. If you have the right (expensive) flaring tool you can do it, but otherwise I just didn't want to bother.

Good luck!
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Straversi, is there no issue running your rear line on the inside of the tube (between the tube and foot box panel)?

There is room but mine is slightly forward of the tube (forward meaning closer to the driver). The sheet metal come sin at an angle and pinches. I had to pull it a bit forward to make it fit without rubbing. Other side is probably better.

I used a large socket on the handle to bend loops. It was easy to hold the socket wrench handle and brake line in one hand and wind the line around the socket with the other. Don't try this with the thicker fuel lines. They will kink unless you use the tubing bene=der.

1/4-20 bolts in the bosses to mount the clamps. Add some lube. They go in snug because of the powder coat.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I'm very new to this, help me understand why you loop the brake lines and how often/location you are suppose to loop them.
    Thanks,
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew211 View Post
    Sorry I'm very new to this, help me understand why you loop the brake lines and how often/location you are suppose to loop them.
    Thanks, Todd
    Some builders prefer to use pre-flared tubing lengths, so often the loops are being used to take up extra line to avoid cutting and flaring. Some will say loops provide protection against vibration. Might be the case in other applications. But in our builds everything is fixed, so IMO they aren't needed. This is discussed occasionally, and I know not everyone will agree. But I've never used them. Having said that, you don't want the tubing pulled too tight. Makes it hard to get on and off. So a little slack or curve is good.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-13-2017 at 06:10 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you EdwardB. Makes sense to me.