Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Component Painting & Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Component Painting & Coating

Hi everyone. I will start stripping down my donor car over the next few months. I'm looking for suggestions on paint or coatings to use for the various components from the 2006 Impreza. (suspension, brakes, engine, ...) I've read a lot of good things about POR-15. What about powder coating or e-coating? High temp brake and engine paint? I want to have all the right supplies so I can clean and prep all of the donor parts as they come off.

All advice is welcome!

Thanks in Advance
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Russ,
    I've been stripping down, sand blasting parts, cleaning with brake cleaner, rust dissolver, and painting with rustoleum or tremclad primers and rattle can paints.
    I used some gatorhide for coating the inside of the wheel wells and interior. Sand with rough grit before to give a good bond.
    Make sure you bake the heat temp engine and brake parts...... I missed that.
    Also you'll need some penetrating oil of some sort to get the rusty parts to break loose. repeated applications and a big hammer help. I had to use a big press to get my rear hubs and bolts loose.

Where are you located? I'm in Vancouver.
    Harley
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I've also heard good things about POR-15 but have not used it personally, I've heard proper ventilation is very important when using it. Powder coat is the most durable but also gets expensive (unless you do it yourself). I powder coated pretty much all of the steel parts that came with the 818 when I first got the kit and it was very expensive.

For donor parts or sheet metal, my typical go-to was duplicolor spray-on caliper paint, which is available at most auto part stores. I found it to be quite durable when properly applied. Here's what I usually did:
    1. Remove any grease or dirt with solvent (I used isopropyl alcohol)
    2. Scuff up surface, wipe with solvent
    3. 1 coat of metal primer (usually got this from walmart)
    4. 3 coats of duplicolor caliper paint
    5. Let sit for a few days so paint can cure (this is important)

Temperature is also very important in the curing; if it is too cold, the paint will not cure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Harley. I'm located in SW Ontario.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments STiPWRD.

Does anyone have experience with home powder coating with respect to quality and effort?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnCarNut View Post
    Thanks for the comments STiPWRD.

Does anyone have experience with home powder coating with respect to quality and effort?
    I bought an Eastwood powder coating gun and an oven from someone renovating a condo for a total of around $100. I've found that I can get a much better (and more durable) finish in less time powder coating than I have ever been able to accomplish painting. Also has the advantage of never having to wait for paint to dry. I powder coated all the donor and FFR supplied parts that would fit in my oven, which was almost everything. No question I'd go this route again.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    I bought an Eastwood powder coating gun
    For the amount of money I have spent on powder coating, I really need to buy my own stuff. Only issue is oven size. I have a lot of big things to coat, like aluminum sheet panels etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    I bought an Eastwood powder coating gun and an oven from someone renovating a condo for a total of around $100. I've found that I can get a much better (and more durable) finish in less time powder coating than I have ever been able to accomplish painting. Also has the advantage of never having to wait for paint to dry. I powder coated all the donor and FFR supplied parts that would fit in my oven, which was almost everything. No question I'd go this route again.
    Good info idf. How hot is the baking cycle? I wonder if it's possible to build a larger oven in the garage with some heating source.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnCarNut View Post
    Good info idf. How hot is the baking cycle? I wonder if it's possible to build a larger oven in the garage with some heating source.
    Initial flash at 450 degrees, then bake at 350. I've heard of guys removing the oven door and constructing an insulated extension to accommodate larger parts. Eastwood also sells infra red lamps for heating larger items, but I have no experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Different powders, different heat requirements... I use Eastwood equip and have modified the oven door by building an aluminum box with 2 inches of fiberglass insulation using the oven drawer as the inside of the box.

The IR system is a PITA difficult to use, my friend has obne from Eastwood. find someone with a larger oven we have several locally and the costs are not bad for limited use, do the small stuff yourself
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    The oven extension sounds like a good plan. I'll soon have 220V wired in the garage for welders and air compressor, so an oven is no issue.

Thanks for the replies so far.