Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FormaCars 818 Wiper Kit

Post Thanks / Like

FormaCars 818 Wiper Kit

FormaCars is pleased to announce our wiper kit for the Factory Five 818 will be available no later than March 20th (we're waiting on hood supports from our vendor).

This kit came about because we need a wiper to title our 818S and the idea of cutting a big chunk out of our hood to accommodate the Subaru wiper mechanism was unthinkable. We tested numerous different motor/arm/blade combinations to find a setup that offered the most coverage, while still allowing us to hide the motor under the hood with no cutting involved. The best results came from a single-wiper configuration using a long arm and angled 22" blade. The wiper motor is waterproof, features two speeds as well as self-parking, and is entirely adjustable. This, combined with the two-way adjustable wiper arm, ensures an optimal wiper coverage area. A 3D printed ABS mount secures the wiper to the chassis using the included installation hardware, and two motor spacers are included to account for variation in 818 windshield mounting. Lastly, a new hood support has been created to allow the wiper to pass through, and is included with every kit.

Our kit includes a 2 speed self parking wiper motor, a 3D printed ABS wiper mount, a new hood support, two spacers to accurately position the wiper motor relative to your windshield, an adjustable wiper arm, a 22" wiper blade and the hardware to attach it. Wire it up through the WRX wiper stalk (instructions included) or through your own switch.

It's priced at $399 and, as is FormaCars' policy, shipping is free to the contiguous United States. Look for it in our store later this month and follow our 818 blog posts for more on our 818 build and components.

FC001_wiper_1.jpgFC001_wiper_2.jpgFC001_wiper_3.jpg
    Last edited by Doug @ Forma; 03-13-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Doug
    Former Design Director at FormaCars

Post Thanks / Like
    Kit looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug @ Forma View Post
    Our kit includes a 2 speed self parking wiper motor
    How about intermittent speed? I need it for inspection.

as is FormaCars' policy, shipping is free.
    Even to Canada?

Is that an InfinityBox component I see on your FW in front of the wiper motor?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Kit looks great!
    Thanks!

I don't think so, sorry. I know that the wiper motor does not have it built in, but I'm not certain it's impossible. Let me check and see for sure.

Even to Canada?
    Sorry, free shipping is continental US only, but I believe we can ship to Canada, it's just not included in the price.

Yes, we are using it on our 818S. Kyle is our wiring guru and can tell you more if you have questions.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great question Frank, about the intermittent setting. That setting is a definite must have. That is a really nice kit by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kit looks great!

I've been going through the wiring diagrams, and I THINK I can get intermittent to work using the factory Subaru wiring. My Subaru test-mule is parked outside, and the rain here has delayed my testing. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll be able to test it out and let you know. (Rain stopping my windshield-wiper testing; it's kind of odd right?)

Like Doug said, I'm the guy to go to if you have any questions about our InfinityBox or wiring setup. We created "false" firewalls in the front and rear to mount the Powercells to. The rear one holds the Mastercell, Powercell, and connectors for the engine harness as well as the rear-lights harness. It also has provisions to mount the factory ECU on the backside, hiding it between that and the FFR-provided firewall. In the front, it's just a simple panel that houses the front Powercell and AWIC waterpump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone seems so worried about trimming the back of hood!?! if you cut it nicely and put some trim on it

new 818 051.JPGnew 818 049.JPGnew 818 050.JPG can look nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lumpy guy. That looks nice. On my car I used the FFR supplied kit and cut the hood to there specs I found that once the insert they supplied was installed, it really stiffened up the hood. I think it was an improvement rather than a problem.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    Everyone seems so worried about trimming the back of hood!?! if you cut it nicely and put some trim on it can look nice.
    For some it isn't a big deal, for others it is. We find that cutting the hood detracts from the aesthetic of the front of the car in a way that we found unacceptable, even when done well like yours is. We were able to accomplish that and built it into a kit for others who want the same thing.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Lumpy. It does look nice!

Kyle, I was the 1st 818 to install an InfinityBox kit, the assignment sheet and installation guide were non-existent back then. I love that system, I use inTOUCH with crazy rules, it's awesome.
    I might be one day interested in your different panels front and back, if those are parts you sell outside of a kit, on their own.

About the intermittent wiper, I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in QC with the super strict regulations on a kit car the intermittent function (as well as low and high speeds) must have a certain number of cycles per minute, it must remain within a threshold. So if you do make the intermittent work, which would be great, if it is not within those car manufacturer's specs you won't sell any kit in QC (probably not a big deal though). If I fail inspection with my current setup, I know yours would pass (much better construction), as long as the 3 speeds are within the thresholds. If yes I'd buy your kit right away (if my current fails). If you ever want to adjust it within the thresholds, I can provide you with those numbers.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    For some it isn't a big deal, for others it is. We find that cutting the hood detracts from the aesthetic of the front of the car in a way that we found unacceptable, even when done well like yours is. We were able to accomplish that and built it into a kit for others who want the same thing.
    I agree it can look nice (and lumpyguys is the best I've seen, most look to be cut 2-3x more) but I like the OEM no cut look this kit provides.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it! Can you advise on international shipping?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    can we please have a short video to see it in action?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, on international shipping. We would charge actual shipping charges on top of the purchase price. Any taxes, custom fees or duties would be the responsibility of the buyer as well.

I'll work on getting a video.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the long thin adjustable arm from? My son already helped me hack up the Subaru wiper assembly to make a one arm system but am still using the Subie arm.
    Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    We sourced those from Taiwan, but if you're interested in one send me a PM and I can get you a price for just the arm. But, we aren't certain that the spline is the same as the Subaru. It looks larger, but our Subaru wiper mechanism is long gone. Kyle's going to check it with his car this weekend.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    How high do the supports make the hood? I have a very small space between the windshield and hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    Everyone seems so worried about trimming the back of hood!?! if you cut it nicely and put some trim on it

new 818 051.JPGnew 818 049.JPGnew 818 050.JPG can look nice.
    Nicely done! I'm just starting the journey down in Chatham. Some time, I'd love to come have a look at your car. Maybe once I get into the build a bit deeper.

Russ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    How high do the supports make the hood? I have a very small space between the windshield and hood.
    Yes, we pushed the hood up a bit. We've got about 1.25" between the windshield and the hood flange at the center.
    Last edited by Doug @ Forma; 03-10-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, despite our best planning, our kits aren't quite ready. Everything is here but the hood support. That was supposed to arrive yesterday, but our sheet metal shop had their laser cutter go down last week which delayed all their production. We now expect them by the end of the week.

Sorry for the delay.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and I do have a couple updates.

I did PM CU9DZ on this, but our adjustable arm has a different spline than the Subaru mechanism, so it unfortunately isn't compatible.

Also, our initial thought on enabling a delay wiper using our motor and the Subaru controls was unsuccessful. We are going to dig into it a bit deeper, but right now intermittent isn't possible.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    Where did you get the long thin adjustable arm from? My son already helped me hack up the Subaru wiper assembly to make a one arm system but am still using the Subie arm.
    Davis
    FFR will sell you a low profile arm
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll work on getting a video.
    Really keen to see it in action before purchase.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    Really keen to see it in action before purchase.

Thanks.
    Absolutely, sorry for the delay. We'll get a video tomorrow.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    We just posted a couple of short videos of the kit in action, from both outside and inside the car, to our YouTube channel. Though the kit allows for both low & high speeds, our car is only wired for low speed, so that's what we're showing.

This shows the configuration as will be shipped - a 90 degree sweep with a 22" blade. The sweep can be changed in 10 degree increments, but anything over 90 degrees will require a shorter blade. The tip of 22" blade just touches the hood and goes off the edge of the windshield at 100 degrees. We found that the combination of the 22" blade & a 90 degree sweep to be the best coverage.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Here's the outside video:

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the inside video (with a peek at our Mark IV chassis in the background ):

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Parks awfully high on the windshield, as a "vertically challenged" old fart I'd be looking through the wiper all the time. Can you adjust to get it to park lower?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    We just posted a couple of short videos of the kit in action, from both outside and inside the car, to our YouTube channel. Though the kit allows for both low & high speeds, our car is only wired for low speed, so that's what we're showing.

This shows the configuration as will be shipped - a 90 degree sweep with a 22" blade. The sweep can be changed in 10 degree increments, but anything over 90 degrees will require a shorter blade. The tip of 22" blade just touches the hood and goes off the edge of the windshield at 100 degrees. We found that the combination of the 22" blade & a 90 degree sweep to be the best coverage.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Here's the outside video:

Thanks.

Two things.

1- the first pass of the wiper went further across the wind shield than all the other passes?
    2- It sits high on the windscreen when "parked"

Is it adjustable and can you help me understand why the wiper went further on the first swipe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice looking set up, a few concerns with a new design and mine are also the drifting stop points.
    The "start" position was higher on the windshield than the "park" position at the end of the run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Parks awfully high on the windshield, as a "vertically challenged" old fart I'd be looking through the wiper all the time. Can you adjust to get it to park lower?
    Thanks.

Two things.

1- the first pass of the wiper went further across the wind shield than all the other passes?
    2- It sits high on the windscreen when "parked"

Is it adjustable and can you help me understand why the wiper went further on the first swipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Very nice looking set up, a few concerns with a new design and mine are also the drifting stop points.
    The "start" position was higher on the windshield than the "park" position at the end of the run.
    Great questions.

Regarding visibility, remember it's parking on the passenger side of the car, so visibility past the parked wiper isn't an issue for the driver.

It is adjustable, so it can be adjusted to park lower. But doing so will mean it leaves more untouched windshield at the opposite side at the driver's side A pillar. We found this to be the best compromise between park height & windshield coverage. As I said, it can also be adjusted to sweep more, but a shorter wiper blade will be needed.

On the first pass the glass is wet and the wiper passes over it more easily. By the end of the video the glass is dry and there's more drag between the blade & the glass and the wiper doesn't travel as far. This is due to flex in the arm & the lash in the system. (I've actually seen this even on my daily driver as well, the travel varies based on how much water is on the glass.) We're also using glass cleaner, because it was handy, which evaporates pretty fast.

Let me know if there are more questions.

Lastly, our sheet metal parts are finally in and these are now ready to order on our website.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for answering :-)

One last thing. Can you do a mirrored version for RHD 818's? If so I'll get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for answering :-)

One last thing. Can you do a mirrored version for RHD 818's? If so I'll get one.
    Absolutely, the motor is configurable to park left or right and we simply need to mirror and print a mount.

I've updated the product page to show LHD & RHD options.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely, the motor is configurable to park left or right and we simply need to mirror and print a mount.

I've updated the product page to show LHD & RHD options.
    Champion thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody purchase one of these kits yet? Looking for customer feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are discounts available for the first to purchase and post a full review?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigger View Post
    I purchased the wiper kit. They shipped it right away, ordering was easy, kit is complete and good quality, instructions are good. I am very impressed with the product, and the customer support is fantastic. I had a few questions, and they bent over backwards to make sure I'm satisfied.
    Thanks for the kind words. That's certainly our objective - very complete solutions at fair prices, shipped fast with great customer support.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed my kit today. I'm happy with the overall quality and 'plug n play' nature of the install.

Only constructive feedback I would have is to have the bodies of the wiper motor black instead of white. That's not a huge concern though because the motor tucks up under the 3d printed mount.

With the way my hood lays the wiper arm just skims the edge when crossing the windshield. I'm debating using the hood prop mount that's included in the kit or trimming the hood slightly. Feedback from others? I will be using the aerocatch flush hood pins, so I'm unsure if I'll need the extra stability that the hood prop would provide or if the latches will stiffen it up enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prop it, the hood's very flimsy, it will seat better w/o fluttering at speed
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Installed my kit today. I'm happy with the overall quality and 'plug n play' nature of the install.

Only constructive feedback I would have is to have the bodies of the wiper motor black instead of white. That's not a huge concern though because the motor tucks up under the 3d printed mount.

With the way my hood lays the wiper arm just skims the edge when crossing the windshield. I'm debating using the hood prop mount that's included in the kit or trimming the hood slightly. Feedback from others? I will be using the aerocatch flush hood pins, so I'm unsure if I'll need the extra stability that the hood prop would provide or if the latches will stiffen it up enough.
    Happy to hear that you're happy with the kit!

That's the color the wiper motor is how it comes from our supplier, not something that we can change. As you mentioned, it's completely hidden once installed, however.

Our hood prop is intended to push the hood up a little more than the FF piece to create some more clearance, we suggest you use it. It'll make more room for your wiper arm plus support the rear edge of the hood.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that the aerocatch latches stiffened up my mounting points for my hood a lot compared to the mini quick latches I had on them previously. Also they flex the hood a bit more when attached because of the larger surface area for the latch distributes the load further around the radius of the latch. I would use the hood prop like Doug said.