FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 "Mystique" Coupe Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!!!
    Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe. Gen 2 Coyote. T-bird IRS. 3.55 Torsen diff.
    Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/750619...7668366966791/
    Rally North America "Team Limer"
    https://www.classy.org/team/464751

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a bit a of work done, I have most of the fuel line installed, just have the engine bay area to do after I figure out the where I want to install my fuel pressure regulator. I also fitted a couple panel where the brakes line run as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have pictures posted soon for September, the temps are coming down so I should be getting more work done. In September I got a few little item but not little work to complete things done, The list, battery mount lot more time to get it done than expected, Gas pedal, brake switch, clutch switches, brake and clutch reservoirs, fuel pressure regulator with lines. I have started drilling my panels so they can be powder coated. Side pipes are getting ceramic coating this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures of September progress

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    an observation ... if you haven't put your motor in yet... that regulator is going to be an issue to get to header bolts and valve cover if you ever need to take it off....

FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik, I have thought about that a bit, the regulator is screwed and removes pretty easy, one thing I have thought of, flipping the the bracket which will raise it a couple inches, I have plenty of steel braided line left if I need to move it. I may do a remote mount for the gauge. I just pulled the panels on that footbox today to most likely have them powder coated, still marking and drilling the other panels. Thanks for your comments, please continue to comment, especially if you see something that is going to hurt later. It to easy to get tunnel vision especially with it being a huge change from the the Gen 2 and with only a few people that have completed their cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    E27B490A-F4DB-46A9-95C3-C48A0295E906.jpeg
    Made a custom plate to mount the pcm and fuel pressure regulator

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for some more pics. October we had a nice trip to northeast Arizona, the down was 4 less days to work, also I was on-call for two weeks and we had a very bad weekend during that rotation. The good news was an email announcing the A\C kit for the Gen 3 with a Coyote engine, I was on the phone in 10 minutes making arrangements and payment. I got the last 2 aluminum panels which is was the last of my backorder parts not including the A\C which should be here in the next 2-3 weeks. October's focus was Ceramic coating the side pipes, and getting a lot of the panels ready and other to the powdercoaters, and starting the electrical. The panels took more time than I thought, in the end the finished product should be better.
    The pipes back after ceramic coating

Clutch switched for the Coyote harness

The panel that goes behind the seats, where this panel meets the bottom of the footbox there tab, but there is a weld there too, so I bent the panel around the weld for a better fit
    Before

After

Post Thanks / Like
    The panels that I dropped off at the powdercoaters, I should get them back later this week

The electrical... 2 wire harness and 3 sets of instructions and no problem, I have a RF chassis harness, Coyote control pack for instructions regular FFR Coyote fitment instruction manual, the RF manual and the Ford Control pack manual what can go wrong, but wait I have A\C coming too. I feel more comfortable dealing with wiring than some folks, I understand how it works and I have a lot of practice of the years with the Roadster. After reading everything and laying everything out on our pool table and additional 8ft table, I think I have a plan at least in pencil. Since I have time I decide to remove a couple duplicate circuit along with the plug used only in the Hotrod as well as getting the harness lay better for the Coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    For November I hope to receive the A\C package as this does factor in the wiring. I will get back my first set of panel and may actually get some permanently installed. Finish up the RF harness and get ready to install. We will be out of town for part of the month helping my son get ready and sending him off to boot camp. but I should have at least one long weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be very interested to learn more about the A/C solution FF has come up with and where it fits in the cockpit. Specifically for the Coyote? Do they address having an A/C pump and a PS pump on the Coyote? Was looking through Vintage Air stuff just yesterday. Have plenty of time to figure this out. My Coupe is supposed to be done on the 18th, but probably won't see it until the end of this month.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik Treves I believe is running both A\C and PS, take a look at his build thread. Once I get the A\C package from FFR I'll get some pics posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be running A/C on mine as well with either Electro-Hydraulic PS or Electric PS. I will be watching to see how you do it if you get there before me
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR racing packaging for AC and heat fits in the pass footbox and on top of it... I couldn't do that due to my intercoolers... so I did the vintage air space saver and put the unit in the back of the car.... Also in the BETA PS unit from FFR it did not fit with the shorty headers that I was using for the Turbos - but the FFR would have worked just fine if I use their headers. I honestly forgot to look at how the Blue Coupe at SEMA had both PS and AC front dress mounted.... for schedule reasons I could not wait so I went off the reservation completely - come to think of it... lol... I was never on the reservation with this build....but that's where the fun happen!

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    We have gotten stuff done and in progress. I got notification the my A/C shipped. We also have been busy with life and other smaller projects. I have continued the planning on the electrical, ordering some parts making a couple others adding some storage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j65mustang View Post
    Looking good, this is how I did my brake and clutch lines. Attachment 72222
    Wow, that is nice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    As EdwardB mentions, documenting your A/C install is of great interest to many of us! I downloaded the manual for it and sort of kicked myself for ordering it :-) Looks like a huge PIA.

Also, seems that quite a few folks are going with the hydraulic clutch. I've always understood the adjustment on those is difficult, and not understood the advantage over manual and easily adjustable clutch. I understand the feels is nicer, but really worth it then?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that storage looks nice! I had the same ideas. Not sue at this point if I will do it though.
    Last edited by nkw8181; 01-09-2018 at 11:20 PM.
    Nolan

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking build. Any more updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on it, I should have more photos posted soon. Tomorrow is the start of Barrett Jackson Scottsdale, I will be spending a good bit of time out there our the next week. the storage piece is done, a larger metal brake would have been great help, I have a small 18" brake, 24" or more would have been better I would been able to do the sides in 3 pieces instead of 5 pieces. I'm working on wiring and custom piece for the interior hopefully it will turn out close to my mental vision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great! Keep up the good work!
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    did you make the aluminum panel that is betwen the foot boxes below the fire wall? I don't have that on mine
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I made that panel. I had purchased a 3ft x 2ft piece of .040 6061( same stuff the rest of the panels are make of. I made a template out of poster board, and used a hand held jig saw. Tip: Put Duct tape on the bottom of the saw where it contacts the metal, this will reduce the jigsaw from hammering and scratching the material, it will a bunch of time sanding the panel when you are done. I learned the hard way the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it has been a while since my last update. I was out all week at Barrett Jackson helping Factory Five with the build of the the Coyote Powered Roadster, had a great time we got the car done and auctioned it off on Sunday afternoon, it hammered for 60k. I also have been working on the Roadster over the last week, sprung a coolant leak due to a bad radiator cap, it would not release pressure, also addressing a couple minor things too. I finished adding extra storage in the back, made some progress with the wiring and in the process of adding a switches and A/C controls, well at least the control plate. Here are some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I added some additional circuit, lighting in the back, switch for the driving lights, here are a couple more pics, help to start making progress next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, been a bit lazy with the updates, I dropped the engine in to test fit and make a few parts, like the remote oil filter, figuring out where I want the computer to sit, etc. Pulled the engine out finishing fitting the panels. I have plenty to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you have that MMR remote oil filter hooked up right... the coyote will run about 15 seconds and lockup if you have the lines reversed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Paul. Thanks again for sharing your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik, I read that carefully 3 times, Out from the Engine to In on the filter, Out on the filter to In on the Engine. I think a few folks go Out to Out and In to IN and have what you describe 15 sec of Yes then a lot of OHHH NNNOO!! Thanks you keeping me focused. After test fitting the engine I followed your advise and I'm moving the fuel pressure regulator to the other side of the reservoirs, I have a couple more -AN fittings coming on Tuesday to finish that up. It been like lining up dominoes, I should get to knock a number of them down soon.
    Last edited by Paul G; 04-01-2018 at 01:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing I did was fill the oil lines with oil and the actual filter... looking good btw!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. How's the a.c. coming? I got mine fully installed so if I can help let me know.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, maybe I missed it but why are you and Erik both doing remote oil filters? Does it just make it a lot easier to change or do you need to for clearance or some other reason? I recently ordered a complete kit and was planning on doing a Coyote with AC as well so I am appreciate everything you have already detailed and am looking forward to seeing the AC set up. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should working on the A/C maybe next weekend, however it may get delayed as I need to do a brake job and polish and wax detail on the Roadster to get ready for Huntington Beach. Today I relocated the fuel pressure regulator and fitting the engine bay passenger footbox then I took off all of the black panels above to wipe them down and prep some for final installation. Tomorrow I hope to get the some more panels final install done, reinstall the brake & clutch reservoirs, finish the lines to the master cylinders and bleed the brakes.

As for the remote oil filter, I choose it for a ease of changing and a little more oil capacity and a bigger filter. I believe Erik was driven by exhaust routing for his turbos, but he could tell you for sure. If you go that way read the instructions very carefully or it good very bad as he mentioned earlier in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'll see you at Huntington beach and you can just take a look!
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    Well I'll see you at Huntington beach and you can just take a look!
    Wow, REALLY looking forward to seeing this build and HB!! So glad you are going!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't updated in a while, I'll try and post pics in the next week or so. I have the 2 trunk panels in, battery cables are run, just need to add the tips on the end at the battery. As usual 2 steps forward 1 step back, I need to add 2 more wire to the rear harness that is mostly installed already for the reverse lockout solenoid. I had to take off a few weeks, prep for HB, HB weekend, next weekend to visit my son in the Army, a weekend to prep our Mustang for a upcoming rally and rally fundraiser. The coupe was pushed aside but is back in the center of the garage, with summer starting it limits what I can do in the afternoon, west facing garage just a bit warm around 1pm every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul G,
    I'm located in Scottsdale, AZ, across town from you and just last weekend placed my order for a Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe. The factory completion date is August 11, so that means I should receive my kit via Stewart around Sept 1 give or take.
    I've been browsing and examining the information and various builds in the FFR Forum for well over a year, noticed yours a year ago and then moved from the SF Bay Area to Scottsdale in March.
    I sure would like to stop by some time (probably a few times down the road) and check out your cars and the Gen 3 build, ideally before I receive my kit, etc.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    Congrats on your purchase. Drop me an email at [email protected] and we can setup a time for you to stop by and check out the progress, and answer questions. The build has gone a little slower than first expected however do to difficulty more about project creep like "lets powder coat the panels" and well life and summer etc. I hope to drop in the engine and trans for the final time in August. I'll being post many photos in a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my last big update was back in March, I have a few things delay me, Huntington Beach, visiting my son in the Army. I have been busy working on the car too, I'll be working on the dash next. What have I got done, the brakes I have working brake pedal, wiring lots of wiring. The connectors I touch get crimped, soldered, and heat shrink tubing. Here are some pics.
    Battery cables, while I decided to put my battery in the back I ran my ground cable (0 gauge welding cable) to engine bay, on the other side on that frame will be a ground strap connected to a start bolt, also a 8 gauge wire will go up behind the dash to tie in the grounds up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few more, I have mounted my A/C , decided to make some brackets out of barstock and tie in all four rivetnut mounting points on the unit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast