Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What's the strangest tool used?

Post Thanks / Like

What's the strangest tool used?

In light of some of the responses on my brake line bending thread (using a tree and a garden rake to get bends), I thought it would be interesting to hear what are some of the strangest 'tools' you have used on your build (and what did you use it for)?

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I've been reading around here, I'd say a high quality tubing bender.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good one Mike.

The Army has a saying: If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A Paint Roller Extension Handle!

We used it to hold the tailshaft up when we installed the engine and transmission.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Post Thanks / Like
    Many years ago I was gifted a rechargeable Skill 3/8" ratchet wrench. It produced about 20 ft-lbs of torque but would only spin at about 2 rpm with no load. It was well made but somewhat useless because it was too slow. I hung it up on the workbench, only used it twice, and threw it away the third time when I tried a few years later because the battery was dead even though the charged was connected.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    scratch free
    I bought a 4 pack of large cutting boards from the kitchen gadget aisle. They are only about 1/32" thick and made of really tough mylar.
    When you are drilling in tight quarters and the drill body wants to scratch your finished chassis slip one of these between the finished part and the work area.
    They're flexible and work great to protect things like the firewall when shoehorning in the engine, tranny etc.
    HTH
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Dozens of 'em but this came to mind since I actually have a photo of it:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    From what I've been reading around here, I'd say a high quality tubing bender.
    Whatchutalkinabout Mike:

It takes a special kind of tube bender to do this! {{{This car actually came to me to finish building as a steering and stopping roller. When I saw this I told the owner that I knew exactly what I had to do...tear it all back down to the bare chassis and start over which is what I did!}}}

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that a small plastic jar of wood putty worked very well to form my brake line coils.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I was going with the expert advise at the time on this one.
    The advise was to "Beat on it until it fits"
    It worked great but hopefully this is no longer necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same tools to get my driver's side engine mount to seat in its bracket on the frame.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I was going with the expert advise at the time on this one.
    The advise was to "Beat on it until it fits"
    It worked great but hopefully this is no longer necessary.
    Let me guess... The next post was joining the broken windshield club?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Let me guess... The next post was joining the broken windshield club?
    To look at that picture I can see why you would think that, but no. I managed to get the dash hoop "adjusted" and have made it through 17 years without so much as a stone chip. If I go out to the garage tomorrow morning and see the dreaded diagonal crack, I'm blaming you Edwardb!