Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody on Florida East Coast

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody on Florida East Coast

Greetings,

Am looking for folks that may be willing to give guidance and moral support for a build on Fl East Coast in near future(Vero Beach)... Would be great to have someone around
    that has already been down the road before...

Post Thanks / Like
    Search out the Deep South Cobra Club www.dscc.us
    There are a couple down there
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy:

I'm in Sarasota on the west coast but I'd be happy to help. Just finished my Mk4 in January.

- Doug

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Alachua, FL. I have built 7 FFR kits so far and working on my 8th. You are welcome to ask any questions you have and visit if you want. I have folks come by all the time to see and ask questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seek out Beal! He's in Melbourne!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and Welcome !

I'm in Orange City (between Orlando and Daytona). I am in Driver mode with body on but not paint as yet. I didn't realize that there were this many members from FL in here.

I am also a member of the aforementioned DSCC..

Bob
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-03-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in WPB, be happy to help out

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum! I'm new to the community myself. I'm in the planning/gathering finances stage targeting an order date later this year. (Coyote/TKO)
    Although I'm not on the east coast, ....panhandle... our timelines may be similar. As such, I will be more than happy to assist/compare notes or share woes through the adventure.
    Looking forward to following your build. Good luck! Let me know if I can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    42Bfast,

The DSCC will be in Pensacola in April, good chance to get in with the group.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John4337 View Post
    42Bfast,

The DSCC will be in Pensacola in April, good chance to get in with the group.

John
    Outstanding! Will check into that.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Saint Cloud (SE of Orlando) here. About have my MK 4 as a roller. Engine in a few weeks. PM me if you want and help or advice.

Bruce Krist

Post Thanks / Like
    Really appreciate all the replies and offers to lend support! I imagined the community to be fairly tight and supportive and great to see even more so than imagined. I grew up just outside of Detroit (Mt. Clemens) where my father was a Ford employee. His friend actually built Cobra kits at a Ford high performance shop in town and after sitting in one when I was about 7yo I have always wanted to have the opportunity to drive one. I have two young boys now that are probably too young to help me build though perhaps by the time I get things rolling the older one will be able to lend a hand. I think as a kid just learning that I could work on my own vehicle from watching my father has inspired me to grow learning that one can learn about somewhat complex systems and work with them, ie instilling the curiosity of self learning.

Am currently gathering going over information to determine which build options to choose. Looks like best to have things fairly well sorted out ahead of order. Funny think is when I mentioned to my father I was looking to do a build he asked me what my intention for the car was, which was a great question that I hadn't even considered. I think he meant that do I plan on using the car to drag race or drive to which my answer is I'd like something that I and my wife could drive comfortably and will not necessarily go off like a gun when we hit the pedal. A friend of mine just told me he has a 289 sitting in his garage that he will give me, though not sure if that is best fit etc...

If anyone knows of a good build/option protocol sticky for building a road car that would be fantastic.
    Looking forward to moving ahead with build and seeing every ones labor of loves here, Cheers, Vic

A__104A.jpgA__48FD.jpg
    Last edited by turtle; 03-06-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Melbourne but I know very little about assembling these cars since I bought mine as a finished assembly. However, if you needed to see how something on the car looks or is supposed to look, you can come over and see. I have lifts which make the underneath much more accessible. I wish I could be more help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really appreciate the offer Mike! May I ask what engine/trans package you are using?

Post Thanks / Like
    The car came with the old style Ford 5.0 Cobra engine fitted to a T5 and the IRS rear end. It's geared pretty high so 5th gear at 80 mph slows down and shows around 2000 rpm. I haven't verified the speedometer accuracy. I suspect it's reading on the high side. The engine runs quite well, starts with a touch of the key but hardly makes your heart race with excitement. I'm considering switching out the power train for one with more punch. However, Ford engines cost a bit more than GM power plants. An engine upgrade to a 347 block putting out 400 +- HP with a TKO runs about $14K to $15K. The GM LS376 with 480 HP hooked up to a TKO is about $3K less with the ECM. But the Cobra is a Ford so it seems proper to use a blue oval power plant.

What attracted me to this car at the Mecum auction is the fit & finish as well as an incredible paint job. It's easier to swap power trains from my perspective. Please keep in mind I know very little about FFR cars or the AC Cobra compared to the experts on this forum. I do know cars and not only work on them but also race in the SCCA, so I'm no stranger to power. I raced a C6Z06 for 3 years and now race a Lotus Super 7 in Timed Trials and hill climbs, to include The Tail of the Dragon in Robbinsville NC. I'm not interested in racing the Cobra but I do want performance. Some of my other cars are a Porsche 911 twin turbo and a new Z06. Last year I sold my Porsche slant nose 930 turbo at Mecum. I like powerful cars.
    Last edited by Melb-Mike; 03-06-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Post Thanks / Like
    Same offer Vic, if you need to see one, or a photo of something, just shout out. Mine is built as a cruiser, pure street car, that my wife and I take weekend trips in, but everyone does something a little differently. Between this forum and the "other" forum, you'll get all sorts of ideas, and ways to spend money

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. No doubt will be looking for some guidance as things get hairy...

Any idea if this looks like a decent deal: https://odessa.craigslist.org/cto/6032647583.html

Or this: https://wyoming.craigslist.org/cto/6012692931.html

Would give me the bones to do like Mike says and rebuild or upgrade the power plant etc. Would give me opportunity to get to know the car bit more and could sell later on and do a proper build
    in the future. Would also help my wife come around on the whole idea... honestly wish there were someone I could rent a Cobra for a week or weekend so my wife could drive it etc
    and see how much fun it is to cruise around with the top down. She likes the Porshe 911 though I would really much rather have a Cobra
    Last edited by turtle; 03-07-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm north of you in Brevard County. I'm new to the FFR building scene, but holler at me and I'll help if I can. I've not met him but, Wallace18 knows his stuff from what I have seen on here. I've gathered all kinds of usefull info from him and others like him.

I'm still in the earlier stages of the build, but having a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really encouraging to hear that folks enjoy the build so much. Speaks to the quality of the factory five kit I assume, and the quality of this community!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,

Feel free to contact us on an engine / tranny pkg. http://www.fordcobraengines.com/prod...reted-5-speed/ We run some deals for FFR Customers. Engine Factory's main warehouse is in NJ but also have an office in Jupiter FL.