Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield Wipers in New York

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Wipers in New York

I thought forum users might be interested in this email I received from NYS Dept of Motor Vehicles regarding Windshield Wiper requirements in New York. I believe New Yorkers are allowed to use manually operated wipers, like the ones that clamp to the top of the windshield wiper frame. For those of us who don't intend to use our roadsters in the rain, and don't want to invest in electric wipers, this information might be useful. The following is the correspondence I had with DMV:
    ----------
    Thank you for using the DMV's Ask a Question service. Here is a summary of your question and our response.

Subject
    I am building a homemade Factory Five Cobra roadster kit car. Will a manually operated windshield wiper pass inspection, or do I have to install an electric wiper. The car does not have a roof. VTL 375 only says the car shall have suitable wipers.

Response By Email (Technical Services) (01/26/2017 09:36 AM)
    Dear Customer,
    A manually operated windshield wiper is acceptable. The wiper control must be within the reach of the driver (in the normal driver seating position).

Mark Shimkus
    Technical Services Bureau
    [email protected]
    (518) 474-5282 (select option #4)
    Customer By Service Web (Joel Hauser) (01/23/2017 08:16 AM)
    ---------------
    Have you had a chance to review my kit car/windshield wiper question? Since the Law says that cars only need suitable wipers, I would argue that since the car doesn't have either a roof or convertible top, and therefore will never be driven in the rain, manual wipers will be more than suitable.
    Thanks
    Joel Hauser
    Customer By Service Web (Joel Hauser) (01/14/2017 12:24 AM)

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought 1 manual wiper and clamped it on and sent the pictures to NY DMV and it was accepted. My car was already built but needed a NY Vin. It's not as bad as people say to get it registered in NY. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used these with the unused portion of the door latch mechanism to attach them to the top of the windshield.