Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Header flange problem

Post Thanks / Like

Header flange problem

Am I the only one having trouble with the Hooker Headers FFR is providing? The original shipped set contained the drivers side 351 W header flange on the #8 exhaust that was machined on an angle causing two leaks! Very frustrating cause at first we thought valve/lifter noise! FFR sent a replacement header, but it was a roadster, 4 into 1! Next header shipped has the identical flange machining problem! Now FFR says they don't use that vendor anymore and they want to send a thicker gasket to solve the problem! Any suggestions/ opinions!
    Attached Images Attached Images

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Order a set of Remflex gaskets. They are the best , IMO

http://catalog.remflex.com

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Consider having the flange machined or shaved down since it appears to be a full 3/8" thick.

A 1/16" shave may do the trick and would still leave you with a 5/16" flange.

What is the depth, of the smallest cross section, of the Boogered Up Port versus the rest of the flange?

B.U.P. = New Acronym Born On This 10th Day Of March!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-10-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Purchaser, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately Hooker decided very recently to stop supplying us with Headers without warning. Not our choice.
    I believe Courtnie in Tech offered for us to send you a set of Remflex gaskets earlier today. Same as wallace18 is recommending you using.
    Let us know.
    Thanks,
    Jay Kravitz FFR Purchaser

Post Thanks / Like
    I received a set of the FFR headers made by hooker, and they fit perfectly. I remember that FFR contacted me before they shipped to tell me that they had inspected the headers, found something wrong with them, that they had to get another pair, so I had to wait a couple weeks longer for them. But the ones I received fit perfectly. I appreciate that they inspected them first; I probably would not have noticed the problem until it was too late.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have that machined as well. Not sure a thicker gasket will hold up over time. That's a big gap. One of my customers may have a set of 351 headers for the coupe. I could have him look at them and see if they are the same.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, One problem with machining the flange is on some headers the weld is on the mating surface of the flange. By machining it down you may cut through the weld, not good. But the Hookers may be built differently.
    Hope you get the flange issue worked out.
    Jim

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Guys, One problem with machining the flange is on some headers the weld is on the mating surface of the flange. By machining it down you may cut through the weld, not good. But the Hookers may be built differently.
    Hope you get the flange issue worked out.
    Jim
    The Hookers on Hotrodder427's MK-4 are welded on both sides.
    If these are too then he has no issue with machining them; however, if they are welded on the port side only then machining is not the best option.
    A Great Point You Make!

Post Thanks / Like
    This picture shows that the pipes are welded on the outside[File Type: jpg IMG_4895.JPG (1.63 MB, 35 views)], so machining is an option.

How hard is the steal used? Can a file take it down, or is a milling machine with carbide cutters called for?

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try a local machine shop many of them have a VERY BIG fixed belt sander. They use them to just clean up cylinder heads and the like.
    I just had a marine exhaust riser done and it saved me the price of a new manifold. Some shops can actually jig up an item and then lower to the belt. That makes a nice true level surface , but the cost is more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option would be to have the area built up with weld and sanded flat.
    Mike