Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member from Mass

Post Thanks / Like

New Member from Mass

Hi Everyone! My name is Jay.

I have been looking around on the forum for a while and just officially signed up. Right now, I am planning out a LS3 GTM build and getting ready to order a kit in the near future. Almost ten years ago, I helped build a MK4 which was a fun project. Previously I had done a lot of rock crawling and offroad racing. That was a lot of fun as I was fabricating everything from custom axles, to tube chassis, and all the brackets/mounts in between. I have been away from building anything the last few years with work, school, and family but I am excited to start getting into the research for this project and learning everything I can from this great community.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the site Jay. Where in MA are you? Lots of kits being assembled in MA.
    I have several at my house but no GTM. Come take a look sometime.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jay! I hope you pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jay,
    I'm currently building a 289 FIA. Hoping things warm up after tomorrow so I can get back out to the garage.
    Chris
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Welcome to the site Jay. Where in MA are you? Lots of kits being assembled in MA.
    I have several at my house but no GTM. Come take a look sometime.
    Mike
    Hey Mike,

I am located in Rochester, about 5 miles from Factory Five. I would love to come by and check it out sometime, what kits have you been working on? Right now, I am working on getting my garage setup the way I like it as we just moved here last year and then can get focused on the build and get the kit ordered.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Welcome Jay! I hope you pull the trigger.
    Thanks. I can't wait to get this project started. I am hoping I can also find someone in Mass who has built a GTM and gone through the registration process which seems like it has changed the last few years although it should be the same as what the 818 guys are doing since the GTM is not a replica. Just want to plan out the build right mostly with the emissions. Hopefully get the kit ordered in the next six months once I finish doping my research and solidifying the plan as well as finish up some school stuff for work that is finally wrapping up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soulstice. I have built 2 of them. Sorry don't have any in my shop at the moment. 5 Cobras though. There is a finished GTM down the cape. The owner would be more than happy to show you his car.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Understand Mass emissions before you get started, "most emissions" won't help.

But there is Hope.

Be sure to understand before you get started, it will make it much less difficult knowing your plan going in.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he was saying that mostly he wants to get emissions done correctly, not that he wants only most of them. I'll be traveling down this road with my 818....not looking forward to it, though I know it has been done more than once successfully. So far my plan is to have new O2 sensor, charcoal canister, and cat. converter, all installed in car with receipts. Aside from that I have no other specific plan!
    Last edited by ben1272; 03-15-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    I think he was saying that mostly he wants to get emissions done correctly, not that he wants only most of them. I'll be traveling down this road with my 818....not looking forward to it, though I know it has been done more than once successfully. So far my plan is to have new O2 sensor, charcoal canister, and cat. converter, all installed in car with receipts. Aside from that I have no other specific plan!
    Exactly. That is what I did mean. I am going full emissions with all the requirements. I just want to plan it out so that I have everything covered, don't plan to take any emission shortcuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soulstice. I have built 2 of them. Sorry don't have any in my shop at the moment. 5 Cobras though. There is a finished GTM down the cape. The owner would be more than happy to show you his car.
    Mike
    Mike,

Good to know, I will have to reach out to him and discuss his GTM. I just got a good deal on a 2000 donor, so I am getting this project rolling.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    So after a year of heavy research into the GTM, I have decided to go another way as with my young daughter I am concerned the almost 1,000 hours of bodywork for the GTM kit may get this project into a dead zone as it will take a lot more motivation to do all that bodywork.

So I am going to build a MK4 instead as this is something she will be able to help me with and will go a little smoother. After that, hopefully I will make it back to the GTM path.

For the MK4, I am planning a street build with a small block 427W probably built by Fortes or Blueprint and using the 2015 IRS.

Now off to find the "donor" car

Post Thanks / Like
    If your doing IRS and a crate motor, there is no reason to do a donor. Get the complete kit with the half off option right now.
    You will thank me and yourself in the end.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    If your doing IRS and a crate motor, there is no reason to do a donor. Get the complete kit with the half off option right now.
    You will thank me and yourself in the end.
    Mike
    I am definitely going the complete kit way. When I mentioned "donor" I was referring to a 1973 or earlier sacrifice to the state of Massachusetts so that I can use a new crate motor in my build. Hopefully I have something in line to pickup this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. What are you looking at for your donor?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. What are you looking at for your donor?
    Mike
    Hopefully a 65'ish caddy with a 429 so that I can use a 427 Crate or any other engine I choose under that displacement.